What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89 still the best!

don't beat yourself up too much :laugh:

we ALL thought we'd save money at some point or another. you begin with the "holy cow, i can get 100 red IP's for $10...that's less than a 4 pack of fusion blades! i'm gonna save a TON of money" and then somewhere along the line, as you're deciding which one of your 17 soaps and creams you'd like to use that morning you find yourself thinking..." that rooney heritage brush would really take my shave up a notch, and besides...i saved a few bucks on blades so it's okay that i spend $300 on a brush. it'll all work out in the end".

of course, it never does and before you know it...boom, you're a collector, an aficionado and to anyone else, a nutcase.
made me laugh

I'm new to this forum and wet shaving. I need to purchase my first DE razor - is this a good bet vs. something by Merkur like the Merkur 180?

I'm new to this forum and wet shaving. I need to purchase my first DE razor - is this a good bet vs. something by Merkur like the Merkur 180?

I'd say it's the most recommended razor for starting out. After reading lots on this forum and on Amazon reviews, it's what I started with. At this point, all I have is the DE89 and a Mergress, so I can't compare as competently as others here. But it seemed to be the most recommended for Newbies, and I've felt it was a great choice.

The Merkur 180 is actually the 23C I think. I have both and both are rather mild shavers that shouldn't give you any problems. The 23C has a longer and heavier handle and is fine too, though fit and finish of the Merkur is definitely two steps behind on the EJ's and Mühles. There is not a huge difference in the shave they provide but I prefer the EJ/Mühle; I seldom use the Merkur anymore as the Mühle R89 and the Lord L6 (another great starter razor at a very good price!) are used 95% of the time.

I bought an EJ DE89 when I started back in wetshaving. Added a Weber bulldog handle a little while back. I'm so satisfied with it that I have little interest in another razor. One day I plan on getting a birth year adjustable Gillette, but it can wait. I figure that at about a year into this, I can try one out. In the meantime, I'll keep learning on the EJ.

(2009! Ok, I'll roll with it..)
One of the more unique razors out there I think that makes almost any blade sing in it. I haven't found a "bad" blade yet that shaves horrible in it. A very good starter or experienced user of DE.

I just received mine and attacked a 3-day growth. Superb experience! Used one of the Astras that Phil @ Bullgoose added to my order - not a fan of Derbys. Lathered up with some Dr. Harris Windsor and my Semogue 1305 boar. Great 3 pass experience. It was so good, that I pushed it further than I should and nicked myself. I take full blame. Handle is a little slippery, but I tokk the advice of a member and put some alum on my fingers for tackiness.

I always looked at the EJ's as snooty Merkur wannabe's - no more. Very well designed and balanced.

so is there a market for stock de89 handles?
with all this weber bulldog talk, i kinda hate buying a handle and having an unused one just lying around.
think these things would sell somewhere?

I'm new to the game myself so I can't compare it to anything else. But starting on this razor has been great for me. I think the more seasoned vets on here comparing it favourably to vintage models and other modern workhorse razors is evidence that in the grand lexicon of razors it's a good bet. Definitely enjoy having it as my first razor.

I might spend a few weeks on other razors, but I always end up back at my EJ DE89 for the majority of the time.

You've all convinced me to go ahead and order the darn thing! I can't decide between the which version of the chrome to get, the lined or unlined? The price difference is almost $10 USD, so I may go ahead and be a cheapwad and purchase the unlined one. My hands tend to be dry when I shave anyway and have never dropped my cheapo razor...so excited!

I own the basic unlined version of the Edwin Jagger DE89. I think you will be be surprised by the build quality of this razor, and it is one smooth shaver.

I tried EJ DE89 and really wanted to like it, but was constantly getting skin burns and cuts, although I felt it was much milder than 34c.
I still can't understand how it can be.

I bought the unlined version and just tried it out and will honestly say...I was not impressed! :( I got a good shave, but I just didn't like the feel of it. Maybe I built up my expectations too much. Needless to say, I will be using it for the next few days, but if I don't like it, I might trade or sell it for a TTO adjustable.

I bought the unlined version and just tried it out and will honestly say...I was not impressed! :( I got a good shave, but I just didn't like the feel of it. Maybe I built up my expectations too much. Needless to say, I will be using it for the next few days, but if I don't like it, I might trade or sell it for a TTO adjustable.

I recant! After using the EJ DE89, I can only say, wow! The quality of the shaves I get, without even trying, are impressive. So, I recant and submit myself to the will of the people. EJ DE89 is awesome!

I was becoming dis-enchanted with mine, I was getting irritation from too many passes. Put a Feather in it, and it is completely different.

Top Bottom