What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89 still the best!

I've only started my razor acquisition. Have shaved with the Merkur HD for a year and am branching out simultaneously into Weber and considering also the EJ 89 if for no other reason than its very reasonable cost. I'm thinking though, because of the knurling on the Weber and the Merkur, to go with the original plain chrome finish or even lined chrome for the EJ, instead of Barley. Just for something a little different.

I started out in DE razors with a DE89 that I bought from the Duluth Trading Company. They currently offer the DE89 for $34.95 plus shipping. Like everyone else, I was put off with the pricing of the Gillette Fusion cartridges. I used my DE89 for about a year and stepped up to a Merkur Futur. I'm not sure that it shaves any better, but it does feel different.

I'm still plugging through a 100 blade sampler, but the best blades I've found for my DE89 are Sharps and 7 a.m's, both put out by Durablade. It seems like the Durablade products aren't highly regarded here on B&B, but they work for me!

Hi there I'm new to the forum and looking into buying my first de safety razor. The Edwin Jagger DE89 seems like a good starting point most sources say, but I'm a little confused by all the different types. DE89811bl, DE89BA11bl, DE89BL, DE89Lbl, DE8911bl... The descriptions I find only say Double Edged Safety Chrome or Double Edged Safety Chrome Lined/Plated... Can someone shed some light here for a newbie :tongue_sm Other shops just offer the Edwin Jagger DE89, DE89L of Barley... Which model numbers are these?

Last edited:
In response to hesselmid ^ :
The heads of the Jagger razors are all the same. Exactly the same. One and the same. Not different.
The lower case bl (or sometimes uppercase BL) at the end means it comes with blades. I believe they're packaged with 5 Derby blades, to be specific.
The 11 suffix means it's the later "head heavy" razor. Really the handles are slightly lighter, so the head is relatively heavier, or it's weighted more toward the top. (Remember, the heads are really all the same). The "11" handles also have a hint of a "ball end" in homage to the old Ball End Tech razors.

The L means it's a lined chrome handle. The BA means it's the Barley chrome handle.
(So "DE89L of Barley" looks like a mistake -- it's either the Lined handle ("L") or the Barley handle (which should be "BA").

Just double check with your vendor before finalizing an order to be sure you order the one you want. I think some vendors are punctilious about the model numbers but some aren't; for those who aren't, you have to read descriptions or ask questions. ("Is it *really* the DE8911 when it says DE89?" Etc. Maybe.)

More systematically, if the listing is to be trusted, here's how it should work:

DE89 is the smooth, chrome handled version.
DE89BL means it comes with blades. (Sometimes DE89bl). Otherwise, same as above.
DE8911 has an unlined handle with a "ball end", a little like some of the old Gillette Techs. The handles on the "11" razors are a bit lighter. The heads of all of these razors are the same (To repeat myself!)
DE89L or DE89Lbl - has a Lined chrome handle, the latter with a pack of blades.
DE89BA is like the DE89, but has their Barley pattern on the handle
DE89BA11 has the Barley pattern on that "ball end"/lighter/"11" handle
DE89L11 has the lined pattern on that ball end/lighter handle…

DE89BA11BL means it's the D89BA11, but they're specifying that there are blades in the package.
Like that.

I didn't know any of this when I got the DE89BA11BL. I wish I did, but then.... I probably didn't yet know that I didn't like very light handles. Jagger emphasizes that the weight is shifted "up toward the head." I'm guessing they thought about saying "now with a lighter handle!" and decided against it, even though that's what it is.

Last edited:
If it's truly exactly like my Muhle R89, it is probably the best possible shaver obtainable. I prefer a bit more weight overall, but the shave is perfect with a Feather blade.

This is my Edwin Jagger 89 with an Ikon Bulldog II handle. Great shave.
I do personally like shorter handles and I thinking about replacing this handle with the Above The Tie Atlas.
$IkonEJ89.jpg

I love it with the Weber Bulldog as well. Seems to really help the efficiency of the razor. Maybe that's just because I'm used to the weight, I don't know.

I tried EJ DE89 and really wanted to like it, but was constantly getting skin burns and cuts, although I felt it was much milder than 34c.
I still can't understand how it can be.

Same here--I methodically tried a few different blades in my EJ and I just didn't like it. The handle is very light. Something about my Muhle R89's heavier handle appeals to me. I imagine psychologically, I'm applying pressure with the EJ because it feels so weak. Who knows, maybe in a year I'll be kicking myself for being so wrong. :)

Oh my word!- My kids are buying me a DE89 for Father's Day so this thread has put a big smile on my face :thumbup:
Will it really end my RAD?
Will it make me forsake my Made In England NEW?
Only time will tell...

I tried EJ DE89 and really wanted to like it, but was constantly getting skin burns and cuts, although I felt it was much milder than 34c.
I still can't understand how it can be.

This is how i feel about the EJ DE89 too...haven't tried it with Feather or any sharper blades though

Same here--I methodically tried a few different blades in my EJ and I just didn't like it. The handle is very light. Something about my Muhle R89's heavier handle appeals to me. I imagine psychologically, I'm applying pressure with the EJ because it feels so weak. Who knows, maybe in a year I'll be kicking myself for being so wrong. :)
And earlier on the thread, we have folks talking about how the Muhle handle is even lighter...
Maybe the "11" handles are lighter than the Muhles?

I like heavier handles, in general (I have a Muhle R41, and a Jagger DE89BA11; The handles sure are pretty, but way too light for my liking; I prefer both of those heads with a Weber or GS1 handle).

I just weighed my EJ Barley handle at 46 grams and my Muhle handle (2013) at 38. In my mind, feeling the texture side by side, the Barley handle has more grip.

I know some have posted that the Muhle handle is heavier and thus gives a better shave but its not the weight. Perhaps its more the balance point?

Last edited:
I worked my way through most of the Jaggers from the 86 to the 89 Barley. Great, great razors. I am currently leading with a Weber, wanting to try something a little more aggressive and made of steel. I struggled at first but my technique is getting there. Howsomeever I will always have a Jagger in my rotation.

Finally got a chance to use my EJ DE89L (bought it as a Father's Day gift, but the wife held it back so it became a birthday present). All I can say is I now know why people rave about this razor. My closest shave ever using a Personna Med (and to be honest, I am still sold that the Med is a good blade). And while I did all my normal passes with my usual prep, the shave was just a bit closer and more comfortable. I had a few weepers and a nick, but considering I was trying on getting a BBS with a new razor and blade combo, I am very happy with the comfort level. I can easily see this razor being one that people stick with instead of building out a large den. The fact it looks so good... it is a winner all around.

Top Bottom