What's new

Edwin Jagger Customer Support

I know that there have been posts about this before, but I couldn't find a recent one to add to, and I think it deserves another mention. The one weakness that I have observed with the DE89 is that the threads often corrode. In my case I had used my DE89 at least 5 days per week for about seven years before this occurred. I used that opportunity to explore other (more aggressive) razors, figuring I had gotten more than money's worth from the DE89. Occasionally, however, it's nice to use a mild razor. I had thrown away the ruined top cap, but the handle and base plate still looked nearly new. I searched the Forum to find out where to buy the replacement top cap, and I came upon a thread in which someone recounted a similar problem with the top cap, but they contacted Edwin Jagger and received a new cap. So I wrote to EJ explaining that I had simply thrown away the top cap, and while I would understand that they might not be willing to replace it since I could not provide a photo of the ruined cap, I also understood that they had a reputation for outstanding customer support.

We had a short, unfailingly polite exchange of emails culminating in the following message:
Thank you for your email and for confirming your address.
I am very pleased to confirm that your replacement DE Top Plate part will be dispatched today by Royal Mail international priority. Items sent by this method typically arrive 5-7 days, but can sometimes take longer.

It has become very popular to bash razors with zamak heads, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a DE89 if you're looking for a reliable, mild razor. Except for the threads, I have had no issues with the plating, and should you have an issue the company will stand behind the razor.

I had an awesome experience with EJ when the threads on my razor started to corrode. Great company that I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from again.

That's great that EJ supports their products like that. So many companies don't. But why not fix the problem at the source? It's obviously not a one off issue as it's been reported on here probably dozens of times.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The replacement should have the new brass screw as well. That will solve the threads corroding on you. EJ's customer service is as awesome as ever I see!

The replacement should have the new brass screw as well. That will solve the threads corroding on you. EJ's customer service is as awesome as ever I see!

I thought they went back to the non brass screw? Maybe that was merkur that changed to brass and then reverted back?

If their heads changed to a brass screw that's a real positive. That's the weakest part of a three piece razor.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I thought they went back to the non brass screw? Maybe that was merkur that changed to brass and then reverted back?

If their heads changed to a brass screw that's a real positive. That's the weakest part of a three piece razor.
Merkur went from a brass screw to zamak when they retooled around a couple of years ago. Muhle and EJ went to brass screws around the same time. I sincerely hope that Merkur went back to a brass screw. I have a newer Merkur 37c with the zamak screw. There are two spots on the screw where the contacts were held to plate. I can see zamak sized pin pricks where it didn't plate. I got an older style cap from Techichi Shaves on Ebay to replace it. As far as I know Muhle and EJ have not gone back to zamak molded threads. I don't see why they would as they are well aware that it is the most common fail point.

Merkur went from a brass screw to zamak when they retooled about a couple of years ago. Muhle and EJ went to brass screws around the same time. I sincerely hope that Merkur went back to a brass screw. I have a newer Merkur 37c with the zamak screw. There are two spots on the screw where the contacts were held to plate. I can see zamak pin pricks at those to points where it didn't plate. I got an older style cap from Techichi Shaves on Ebay to replace it. As far as I know Muhle and EJ have not gone back to zamak molded threads. I don't see why they would as they are well aware that it is the most common fail point.

I thought I saw a post where one of those companies admitted they had reverted back to the zamak threaded post? But I could be wrong. I frequently am....😊

It is always great to hear about good customer service. Often, we tend to dwell upon a product's faults and don't address when the problem is fixed. Thanks for posting.

That's great that EJ supports their products like that. So many companies don't. But why not fix the problem at the source? It's obviously not a one off issue as it's been reported on here probably dozens of times.
I’m sure they don’t change the design because the cost of replacing dozens of top caps is cheaper than a redesign. My replacement cap is now 7 years old and still looks great. After 5+ years, I suspect most people would say they got their monies worth and would just buy a new one; not contact customer service to complain.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I thought I saw a post where one of those companies admitted they had reverted back to the zamak threaded post? But I could be wrong. I frequently am....😊
I hope you were right and it is Merkur. They've used brass screws since forever. Why on earth they ever went to zamak is beyond me. I guess it was a move to save money? Since they have non-existent customer service they could save money by not honoring their warranty. Merkur, where the customer is always responsible for their razors failure. EJ on the other hand has always had fantastic customer service.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your experience. It is great to hear when a company stands behind their product even after several years have passed by.

I know that there have been posts about this before, but I couldn't find a recent one to add to, and I think it deserves another mention. The one weakness that I have observed with the DE89 is that the threads often corrode. In my case I had used my DE89 at least 5 days per week for about seven years before this occurred. I used that opportunity to explore other (more aggressive) razors, figuring I had gotten more than money's worth from the DE89. Occasionally, however, it's nice to use a mild razor. I had thrown away the ruined top cap, but the handle and base plate still looked nearly new. I searched the Forum to find out where to buy the replacement top cap, and I came upon a thread in which someone recounted a similar problem with the top cap, but they contacted Edwin Jagger and received a new cap. So I wrote to EJ explaining that I had simply thrown away the top cap, and while I would understand that they might not be willing to replace it since I could not provide a photo of the ruined cap, I also understood that they had a reputation for outstanding customer support.

We had a short, unfailingly polite exchange of emails culminating in the following message:
Thank you for your email and for confirming your address.
I am very pleased to confirm that your replacement DE Top Plate part will be dispatched today by Royal Mail international priority. Items sent by this method typically arrive 5-7 days, but can sometimes take longer.

It has become very popular to bash razors with zamak heads, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a DE89 if you're looking for a reliable, mild razor. Except for the threads, I have had no issues with the plating, and should you have an issue the company will stand behind the razor.

Where did you purchase it? I have the same issue, I’m assuming they would ask for a receipt of done kind.

Where did you purchase it? I have the same issue, I’m assuming they would ask for a receipt of done kind.
They didn’t ask where I bought, when I bought it or for any proof of purchase. My case was iffy because I threw the ruined top cap away. If you still have yours, they will want photos showing the damaged threads.

I had a good experience with Edwin Jagger customer service several years ago as well. I had a problem with plating coming off of the cap, and they took care of it and were pleasant to deal with. Excellent razors and company.

Top Bottom