What's new

Edwin Jagger Barley Handle

Hello,
I recently purchased an Edwin Jagger Barley DE razor. It's beautiful and I like the way it shaves. My only issue is with the handle. My other two razors have handles that are 'rougher' and easier to grip....esp. with some soap on my hands. I swapped out my barley handle w/ a Weber long handle I had. It works fine. I'd LOVE to be able to use the barley handle. Any tips or words of experience w/ this razor or non-roughed up handles? I've thought of rubbing some alum on my fingers to help grip, but not sure if that wouldn't damage the finish.

Get that piece of rubber they put on many mechanical pencils for better grip, leave it in a boiling water for a couple of minutes, put a little lubricant, then try to get it on the handle. Not all of those little rubber thingies fit, but some do. Worst thing that can happen is that you will ruin a few pencils and/or get some skin off your fingers - either trying to force that rubber on the handle, or using the pencil without it.

Last edited:
Yeah with my EJ Barley I have to be mindful of keeping my hands soap free-or handle gets really slick. If my hands are just wet with water I find the grip to be fine. Try keeping the soap off the handle.

I'm another for whom the barley handle is slippery. I make sure to keep my hands soap-free, that's all.

I've seen a post recently where a gentleman had the suggestion of using a few thin rubber washer (from Lowes/Home Depot)...the type that looks like a ring, not flat. You can then move it to clean the razor and it'll dry a bit easier.

I love my EJ89 Barley and don't find it slippery at all, but I keep a towel next to the sink and keep my hands fairly dry/clean. However, I don't have to wear a bib when I eat :a18:

I have the regular chrome version of the EJ DE89 and have never had a problem with the grip. Perhaps just rinse your hand after you apply lather? I don't ever find myself getting soap on my shaving hand.

I think the alum block trick would certainly work though.

Rub your fingers on an alum block
Thank you for the suggestions and tips gentlemen. Since rinsing hands and a brief touch on the towel, i've had much better grip on the barley handle. I will try using alum today on my afternoon shave. I will stick w/ the barley handle and keep my weber DLC w/ long handle intact.

Thanks again and have a delightful weekend,
P

Thank you for the suggestions and tips gentlemen. Since rinsing hands and a brief touch on the towel, i've had much better grip on the barley handle. I will try using alum today on my afternoon shave. I will stick w/ the barley handle and keep my weber DLC w/ long handle intact.

Thanks again and have a delightful weekend,
P
You should prolly get rid of that EJ.:001_smile
I adopt homeless items...

Top Bottom