What's new

EDT/scent for men in their 40s.

Ive never really been into scents. I had Kouros, Ferrari and Joop years ago but haven’t really used scents so much in the past decade. Just deodorant really.

I’ve been using clubman after shaving in the evening and enjoy that as it’s a very mild afterscent. I think I’ll buy the lime sec or blue one to try.

I’ve been reading about the different products, as I used to just look at them all as aftershaves which seems to be incorrect. I don’t really like very powerful scents, which I think would be in the colognes bracket anyway?

So really I think I’m looking for recommendations for nice summertime and year round aftershaves or EDTs for a man in his 40s?

For which occasions do you want to wear it and what’s your budget?

Here is the sub 40.00 thread

and here the Classic thread

And my personal suggestions:

Aqua di Parma for summer
Aqua di Parma Colonia Intensa for year round

Ive never really been into scents. I had Kouros, Ferrari and Joop years ago but haven’t really used scents so much in the past decade. Just deodorant really.

I’ve been using clubman after shaving in the evening and enjoy that as it’s a very mild afterscent. I think I’ll buy the lime sec or blue one to try.

I’ve been reading about the different products, as I used to just look at them all as aftershaves which seems to be incorrect. I don’t really like very powerful scents, which I think would be in the colognes bracket anyway?

So really I think I’m looking for recommendations for nice summertime and year round aftershaves or EDTs for a man in his 40s?

I have some questions:

- are you a more "serious" or "playful" person?
- you don't like powerful scents, right?
- what is your maximum price range?
- any specific scent notes you dislike?

I have some questions:

- are you a more "serious" or "playful" person?
- you don't like powerful scents, right?
- what is your maximum price range?
- any specific scent notes you dislike?
I’m probably a more serious person. I don’t really wear any strong scents at work due to the environment I work in so it would be something to put on when out and about during the day at the weekend. A bit more subtle than something I’d wear if I was going out drinking in the evening. Price range is probably £30-£50. There’s not that much that I personally dislike although I think I lean towards spicy and citrus notes and something fresh for summer.

I’m probably a more serious person. I don’t really wear any strong scents at work due to the environment I work in so it would be something to put on when out and about during the day at the weekend. A bit more subtle than something I’d wear if I was going out drinking in the evening. Price range is probably £30-£50. There’s not that much that I personally dislike although I think I lean towards spicy and citrus notes and something fresh for summer.

What you are describing sounds a lot like myself. Here's what I would recommend in the subtle/serious/classy/citrus-spice category WITHIN your budget for 100ml:

- Givenchy Les Parfums Mythiques Monsieur de Givenchy (not the new stuff)
- Nicolai Parfumeur Createur Cologne Sologne
- Nicolai Parfumeur Createur Cologne Cedrat (VERY subtle and skin scent almost immediately)

...but I really suggest you stretch the budget a little because it yields much better results IMO:

- Floris No89
- Floris Special 127
- Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
- Penhaligon's Castile
- Carthusia Meditarraneo

For most of these, you can buy 50ml bottles (which would put them back into your budget range) and I would suggest you wear each one off a decant first to make sure the fragrance works with your body chemistry and you really like it.

All the scents I suggested are discreet, unique, and classy. Nothing loud, common, or obnoxious.

If you have questions, let me know. Happy to help.

What you are describing sounds a lot like myself. Here's what I would recommend in the subtle/serious/classy/citrus-spice category WITHIN your budget for 100ml:

- Givenchy Les Parfums Mythiques Monsieur de Givenchy (not the new stuff)
- Nicolai Parfumeur Createur Cologne Sologne
- Nicolai Parfumeur Createur Cologne Cedrat (VERY subtle and skin scent almost immediately)

...but I really suggest you stretch the budget a little because it yields much better results IMO:

- Floris No89
- Floris Special 127
- Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
- Penhaligon's Castile
- Carthusia Meditarraneo

For most of these, you can buy 50ml bottles (which would put them back into your budget range) and I would suggest you wear each one off a decant first to make sure the fragrance works with your body chemistry and you really like it.

All the scents I suggested are discreet, unique, and classy. Nothing loud, common, or obnoxious.

If you have questions, let me know. Happy to help.
I actually have a Floris in my basket because I liked the sound of it from something I read and it’s within my price bracket. That seems like a perfect place to start, thank you.

Price range is probably £30-£50. There’s not that much that I personally dislike although I think I lean towards spicy and citrus notes and something fresh for summer.

Speick EdT. Very reasonably priced (50ml), not really citrusy, but fresh. Beautifully complements Speick Aftershave and their Soap Stick. Understated, works in a professional or casual setting.

It’s such a personal thing really, but Terre D’Hermés is a good call. Year round this stuff is great.

But if you can still get your hands on it, the Aqua Di Gio Profumo is a good summertime frag that gets you close to the original. A safe bet, if nothing new or daring.

Depends on the budget and your preferences but paco rabanne original smells good on anyone and doesn't break the bank. Any of the AdP's would be good too. Dior Sauvage isn't a scent you wear for yourself imo, I can barely tell what it smells like when spraying until every now and then I'll get hints of it and go wow, this is great. All of these are great year round and relatively inexpensive. You don't need to wear much of these either though projection and longevity aren't top tier.

Terre d’hermes is a great suggestion.

If that’s too expensive, try the fine l’orange noir. It’s a very decent clone for $30 in a big bottle.

If you want something a little more unique, but equally grown up, check out zaharoff signature.

Or if you like florals, my all time fave. Zaharoff rosè

Fragrances are personal and I wouldn't buy a whole bottle before trying it out. You can go to a department store and sample their testers. When I do this, I spray one fragrance on each forearm, then see how each develops over the next few hours. And/or you could buy a handful of 2ml samples of whatever you're considering, especially the pricier ones, from a place like decantx. They usually have a discount code or coupon (10% right now, see top of page).

Brut or Hai Karate.

+1 for the ADP recommendations and Dunhill Icon!

Definitely would also sample Rochas Moustache Original 1949 EDT (the 2018 release), a lovely, classy-smelling day scent, complex and great value for money IMHO at around £30 for a 75ml bottle.

Just turned 50, but hey... who is counting ;-)
My favourites, very affordable and fresh, certainly not heavy or sweet:
Calvin Klein One
Calvin Klein Man (bit more herbal)
Jil Sander Sun

After shaves:
Fresh Up
Pitralon

Good luck!

Top Bottom