What's new

EdP, EdT, Cologne??

Ive tried to read up on the differences between those 3 items but cannot for the life of me find anything good on them. Can one of you fine gentlemen explain the differences to me and/or which one is the one to usually buy?

From this thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=182812

According to Wikipedia, here are the concentrations from strongest to lightest:

* Perfume extract, or simply perfume: 15-40% (IFRA: typical 20%) aromatic compounds

* Esprit de Parfum (ESdP): 15-30% aromatic compounds, a seldom used strength concentration in between EdP and perfume

* Eau de Parfum (EdP), Parfum de Toilette (PdT): 10-20% (typical ~15%) aromatic compounds, sometimes listed as "eau de perfume" or "millésime"

* Eau de Toilette (EdT): 5-15% (typical ~10%) aromatic compounds

* Eau de Cologne (EdC): Chypre citrus type perfumes with 3-8% (typical ~5%) aromatic compounds

* Perfume mist: 3-8% aromatic compounds (typical non-alcohol solvent)

* Splash and After shave: 1-3% aromatic compounds

From a "now that I know the difference, what does it mean to me?" pespective, most fragrances that are marketed to men are eau de toillete, where most fragrances that are marketed to women are perfume. This isn't a rule, it's just the way companies have chosen to market their products. I believe, and this is just my theory as I have no proof, that it's because ladies are generally considered to be willing to spend more on fragrance, and prefer a more powerful scent (pefume) that they can apply carefully to get the stronger projection that they want from specific locations on their person, whereas men are generally not willing to spend as much on a fragrance, and prefer not to have to be as careful about how much they apply. Of course, this just my opinion, and is based on broad generalization as to how I see the fragrance market. Those of us here in the fragrance forum are a very small, atypical subset of the huge mass fragrance market.

Ive tried to read up on the differences between those 3 items but cannot for the life of me find anything good on them. Can one of you fine gentlemen explain the differences to me and/or which one is the one to usually buy?

Generally "the thing to buy" for men is going to be an edt, because that is what is available.

That said, where a masculine or unisex scent, and there are no masculine or feminine scents, they say, has an edp version, it is likely to smell somewhat differently from the edt version, most likely, they say, with more emphasis on the middle notes. They are stronger and likely longer lasting, but the effect may be very different. Try before you buy! Some edp scents--Habit Rouge and Terre d'Hermes, leap to my mind (if my memory is any good)--my seem to me amazing in the EDP versions and different from the EDT versions. Others, Jaipur springs immediately to mind, seem much less appealing to me in the EDP versions.

Castle-Forbes scents, if I recall are all EDPs. To me, at least the Limited Edition Neroli is too strong.

Going up in strength from EDPs, to true perfumes and extraits, my experience is limited, but I suspect for some, the Amouages, for instance, the experience is even more special. For others, for a guy, maybe you do not want something that strong.

EDC should seem weaker, but not every EDC will seem weaker than every EDT. If I recall, some Hermes may only be in EDCs. I think Guerlain Vetiver is vintage in EDC only, or that is what is most available, but it does not seem any weaker than the current EDT, if I recall.

Top Bottom