What's new

EDGE-UCATOR Hone/Strop

I came across this little gem not too long ago for a price that made me act RIGHT NOW! It is a combination hone/strop, with a compartment that will hold one straight. With this setup, a person could shave (at least in theory) indefinitely!
proxy.php

proxy.php

The hone is somewhere in the 10K range. It allows me to shave WTG and ATG, but could be smoother. Some more practice on it could be helpful. I lapped it up to 1200 grit and then tried to take it a step further. The look of the hone didn't change much, and neither did the quality of the edge provided. The razor is nothing super to look at, but it is a very nice shaver. It came with a busted tip, which explains the kind of drastic smile at the front.
proxy.php

The leather is actually very nice. It took about 15 mL of neetsfoot oil to rehydrate the leather! I am used to applying a couple drops at a time, so POURING neetsfoot oil onto the surface took a little getting used to. The leather is now much softer and more flexible.

I took some pictures of the stickers on the sides of the hone/strop, since they have been deteriorating with use (and I haven't used it all that much). They didn't really turn out very well.
If you are wondering more about the setup, here is a link to an eBay auction of another EDGE-UCATOR Hone/Strop that ended not too long ago. It had the original box (although the leather has seen better days) and it's stickers are in better condition, so there is a lot more information to be had by looking at that!

proxy.php

I have gotten quite a few alright shaves off of the hone/strop. Although, a series of passes on CrOx helped quite a bit, giving me the idea to replace the red felt with a similarly sized piece of balsa (or cotton, or felt) with CrOx. This would give a much better finish, and make shaving with the setup for an extended trip much more enjoyable.

I have thoroughly enjoyed getting the EDGE-UCATOR back up and running! This is one that will never be parted with, it's just way too cool (at least by my standards)! All comments welcome. Thanks for looking!

Legion

Staff member
Neat! I made something similar to that a while ago for travelling (but it wasn't as nice or well thought out). Good score.

I was actually inspired to build a travel strop/maintenance kit by your little travel CrOx block (I think it was yours...). I was going to make a larger version with room for a little hone, a couple razors, CrOx, and plain leather all in one case. I have all the pieces I need to make it gathered, but was waiting on making it until I was actually going somewhere... Now that I have found this little guy, the kit I had in mind will go to the back burner (those materials will likely be re-purposed). I am trying to decide whether it makes sense to pull out the original felt and replace it with a Balsa-CrOx-Strop or not... The CrOx helps make this a more enjoyable shaving setup, but the setup "as-is" is all original and works quite well... I think I may have to play with the hone a bit more and try to determine if I can get a better edge off it before I go about making modifications :).

I just picked one up this week for about $10, and there was an old razor inside. It needs a little work, so I'm trying to read up on how to lap the hone, replace a button and clean it up in general. The razor needs more repair, but it will be a good learning process.

Any tips you may have picked up would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 32-5.jpg
    32-5.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211015_002351.jpg
    20211015_002351.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20211015_002212.jpg
    20211015_002212.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 11
Very nice. Although it's too simple and easy. Everyone knows honing is a dark mystic art and that you need to spend Buku money to do it. Lol.

Top Bottom