What's new

Edge stops half way through the shave.

So the gold edge started great. After stropping it was popping hairs like nothing. Shave was amazingly smooth at the start. Halfway through it's like the edge just vanished. To the point where I had to get another razor to touch up spots because the gold edge wouldnt cut all of the hair. Is it possible that I made the edge too thin to where it disappeared while using it.

Yep, Sounds like a fin/foil edge that went away half way through. I've had the same as well in the past and also have had to grab another razor to finish a shave.
As many others will probably suggest as well, a few pull strokes to remove the fin followed by a few regular laps can help. Also if you have a linen strop doing more than a "normal" pre shave number of laps after honing can help clean up a foil edge too.

What is your finishing process?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yep, Sounds like a fin/foil edge that went away half way through. I've had the same as well in the past and also have had to grab another razor to finish a shave.
As many others will probably suggest as well, a few pull strokes to remove the fin followed by a few regular laps can help. Also if you have a linen strop doing more than a "normal" pre shave number of laps after honing can help clean up a foil edge too.

What is your finishing process?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was using a shapton 12k, followed by a jnat that isn't high grade, then pasted balsa strop.

Try going back to the jnat with slurry and very light laps. Then go to the balsa with the occasional pull strokes.
Some razors seem to develop a fin easier than others, maybe something with the temper?

The razor was not restored it looks to be NOS.

Comment number 3 has the info on how the razor was finished

20200302_222348.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Some well intended people will try to polish a razor with a buffing wheel, not realizing that only a few seconds contact at the edge, where the steel is literally micro-thin, is enough to push the temper and soften the steel at the very edge. That is why the question about restoration. With certain precautions, power tools can be used to polish a razor but great care must be taken. The razor can be cool enough to hold even though the last few nano inches are over 400f for a second or two.

Most likely the problem is a fin edge and the slurried Jnat should remove it. Use pull strokes. WATCH YOUR PRESSURE!!!!!!!!! Too much pressure will raise a fin edge quicker than too many laps. If pressure is light enough it is almost impossible to raise a burr, wire, foil, whatever edge using normal alternating laps.

Are you bench honing, or honing in hand?

The pull strokes are very effective at stripping the edge clean if a fin is trying to form. Explanation here. Works on the balsa, too.

I hold the balsa vertically so that the entire weight of the razor cannot bear down on it. Ultralight pressure is the key. Add a couple of pull strokes every 10 laps or so. Or do a half dozen at the end of each stage, followed by 10 super light laps.

Thanks for the info. I think I over honed it. I'm going to try a few laps on the new jnat I just received. The feel of this jnat is night and day different than the cheap one i have.

Thanks for the info. I think I over honed it. I'm going to try a few laps on the new jnat I just received. The feel of this jnat is night and day different than the cheap one i have.

Give it some very short strokes as you finish up

What paste did you use, and how many passes over how long a distance on the substrate?

Also - how much abrasive is on your pasted strop?

Top Bottom