What's new

~ Edge Shaving Gel VS Nivea Shaving GEL ~

Edge Shaving Gel VS Nivea Shaving GEL
what your choice ?

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've tried both and probably won't return to either as I highly prefer barbasol and foamy, however my thoughts on both as follows:

The edge gel is cheap, reliable, and has a variety of "flavors" depending on your skin type. Their ads are funny and they are almost like the modern barbasol, in my opinion, as for the last two or three decades teens have been handed a can of edge gel instead of barbasol like they used to. It's what my dad used so that is always cool, regardless of the product. The edge gel goes on easy, has great glide, and the scent doesn't linger too long so it doesn't clash terribly with most AS. Since I frequently used canned products and primarily shave my head I found the edge gel to not have the best chemical list considering it will spend most of it's time a few millimeters away from my brain and spine haha. The main reason I stopped using Edge gel, well let me take that back a bit: I bought a can of edge gel while trying various cheap grocery store canned lather products and was actually very surprised at it's performance. Smooth shave, no Nics, I was pretty happy. I used a DE, not cart, so I did have to rinse a bit more frequently but that's ok. Now after 3-4 days if daily use I noticed my forehead and temples started breaking out in tiny pimples and by day 5 they were all over my head. I stopped using it and they were gone withing 48hrs. These weren't ingrowns or bumps as I'm very familiar with both, this was a skin reaction. If you don't have a skin reaction, as many do not, then I can see most shavers enjoying edge gel.

The nivea gel is more expensive but has a better ingredient/chemical list and this stuff explodes with lather when you add a little bit of water, you seriously will use less then half of the nivea as you did the edge gel to produces double the lather. For me to lather my entire head and neck I'll need a bouncey ball size dollop of edge but only a pea size dollop of nivea. Great post shave feel, great slickness. It is very thick and gooey, I could never imagine not using it in the shower. And I hope you like that same generic scent Nivea uses for EVERYTHING in their men's line because this gel's scent is strong from the start and will stay with you for hours and hours. My wife liked the smell, I personally couldn't handle it... It smells like the chin strap wearing, greased up muscle shirt, hairsprayed faux hawk filled line standing outside a club at the Jersey shore haha.

Hope this helps!

I recently bought some Nivea Gel and I agree with all the good things @slybrewguy said about it. And I like the smell. I'd like it better if it was little milder, but, you can't have everything.

If edge is the same as our european wilkinson gel I'd go for egde, nivea is good but I can't stand the scent nivea puts in their canned foams/gels.
Their aftershave losions smell great. I have a green one.

edit: One Foamy to rule them all

edit: One Foamy to rule them all

Yeah... pretty much this. Foamy menthol is stellar in the summer, barbasol OG and skin conditioner are also great. Simply add a few drops of water to your dollop and you've instantly made up for the lack of slickness many people complain about with foams.

Yeah... pretty much this. Foamy menthol is stellar in the summer, barbasol OG and skin conditioner are also great. Simply add a few drops of water to your dollop and you've instantly made up for the lack of slickness many people complain about with foams.
+1
I alternate between sensitive foamy and lime lemon version. I use it when I'm too lazy to soak my brush.
But sensitive foamy has better non-thickness, actually has much more moisture.
My vacation recipe is, foamy in very wet hands and then on really wet face.

+1
I alternate between sensitive foamy and lime lemon version. I use it when I'm too lazy to soak my brush.
But sensitive foamy has better non-thickness, actually has much more moisture.
My vacation recipe is, foamy in very wet hands and then on really wet face.

Same exact here for vacation except I'll alternate between a travel can of foam and a travel can of og Barby, whichever I'm more in the mood for.

I find Barby has a bit more cushion, but less slickness. Easily rectified by more water.

I find foamy has more slickness, but slightly less cushion. Easily rectified by more product.

Actually, I had a fantastic shave at home today with my paa bocs, a fresh Astra SP, proraso green pre/post, and barbasol skin conditioner (yellow, lanolin).

For those 2, Nivea. However, I take a travel size Barbasol in my luggage and my favorite aerosol gel back when I used them was Aveeno.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have only used Nivea in the can and I love it. I don’t use it now as I have far too many soaps and creams to use up. If it was the only shaving product available I would still be happy.

I have only used Nivea in the can and I love it. I don’t use it now as I have far too many soaps and creams to use up. If it was the only shaving product available I would still be happy.
honestly I'm not a fan of canned nivea, yeah I like their shaving cream and I'm really really big fan of their balsams, but canned stuff is not my cup of tea.

Nivea has better ingredients but Edge Sensitive Gel has Aloe which heals. I prefer Edge Sensitive because I get a closer more comfortable shave. Whether I use a multi blade card or DE.

C. None of the above

I used Edge for years (and years) and I'd rather not go back. The Nivea seems similar enough that I'd rather not use that either.

I like Nivea as it has a better post-shave feel and pairs well with their aftershave balm. Bladderwrack is amazing stuff for the skin. It also has an honest price.

Top Bottom