What's new

Edge evaluation and so on

I am jealous of guys that can assign a number to a shave quality. The only place I can tell any difference at all is under my nose. Other than that, all of my razors, against all of my stones, seem about the same. Perhaps stropping makes the razors mostly equal after much use.

I sharpened 2 of my 7 razor in the past couple of years.

I have decided to sharpen them all at this time. One I sharpened on some sort of barber hone hone that looks like glass. The edge was brought back.

I sharpened one on an old barber hone, and I think it shaves closer now.

I have 5 to go.

I think I am going to find the thread where I sharpened one on a pair of Spyderco sharpmaker fine stones. Some fine folks said I should have used oil, or maybe the other way around, and update that thread.

I don't have confidence in my shave quality assessments. Perhaps I should get Mrs., in the name of science, to evaluate.

I thought I had something more to say.

A translucent Arkansas chip, Spyderco sharpmaker, barber hones, and maybe the 8k Norton waterstone are to follow.

My judgment is not very discriminating.

A dulling blade sneaks up on my, I only notice when the tugging gets severe.

My criteria is this:
-Removes whiskers easily
-Very smooth sensation both with and against the growth
-Minimal irritation during and post-shave

I don't typically experience any irritation, I don't notice any difference in sensation (except when the razor is dull) as I shave.

I could try and judge closeness, but there are variables beyond the edge, so I hesitate to assign differences to the edge.

I don't typically experience any irritation, I don't notice any difference in sensation (except when the razor is dull) as I shave.

I could try and judge closeness, but there are variables beyond the edge, so I hesitate to assign differences to the edge.
I hear you. So basically you adjust the razor.to your liking and that is what we all typically do.

Top Bottom