What's new

EDC pocket knife - Automatic or Assisted Opening?

I think I need to update my post because of a recent purchase. I've bought my first auto knife and it's incredible!
I saw it in a video review and had to try it out. Kershaw Launch 13!
Made in the USA
Anodized aluminum handle
CPM154 Wharncliffe blade (3.5")
Push button release
Incredibly light (2.4 oz.), ergonomic, sharp and looks like nothing else out there:

full

full

Wow, a 2.4 oz auto? Nice!

Here in Oregon (home to many fine knifemakers) it won't come as a surprise to hear that any type of knife is legal except one - No ballistic knives. So, of course, guess what I really want. :)

I've had many autos and flippers (and balis etc etc) but found, like many of you, that I still opened them manually 99% of the time. The autos were always really smooth manual openers though, almost reason enough right there.

Like many of us I went full circle, traded off most of my autos and now mostly EDC a mini griptilian. Ha!

I hung onto the Chew though.

1676599383742.png

1676599438184.png

Here in Oregon (home to many fine knifemakers) it won't come as a surprise to hear that any type of knife is legal except one - No ballistic knives. So, of course, guess what I really want. :)

I've had many autos and flippers (and balis etc etc) but found, like many of you, that I still opened them manually 99% of the time. The autos were always really smooth manual openers though, almost reason enough right there.

Like many of us I went full circle, traded off most of my autos and now mostly EDC a mini griptilian. Ha!

View attachment 1607206

View attachment 1607207
Thanks!
That's an awesome knife you have there!
I yet to own a Benchmade. I don't know why, Lol!!
I've got pretty much every brand except Benchmade & Hogue!
The Kershaw auto's can't be opened manually. They have a plunge lock and no way to bypass that.
You mentioned ballistic, I believe they're banned in all 50 states.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

View attachment 1607206

View attachment 1607207
Very attractive knife my friend.
Thanks!
That's an awesome knife you have there!
I yet to own a Benchmade. I don't know why, Lol!!
I've got pretty much every brand except Benchmade & Hogue!
The Kershaw auto's can't be opened manually. They have a plunge lock and no way to bypass that.
You mentioned ballistic, I believe they're banned in all 50 states.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a ballistic knife? Or don't excuse, but please tell me anyway! In my mind I am thinking of buying a small cannon and shooting knives out of it!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thank you!! One of the nicest of my small collection for sure.
Here's one that was gifted to me by my friend in Israel. It has not left my side in the month or so that I have had it. A GREAT conversation piece as well, in the korreck kompany, lol:IMG_20230209_101202997~2.jpg
Thank you again my friend @Space_Cadet ! You are a gentleman and a skolar. And have great taste in sharp objects.

Ya know, my kindergarten teacher predicted I'd grow up to be an Astronaut. True story doggone!

I overheard her tell my Mother that all I did in skool was take up Space! I was so proud! I figured it must not be that hard to get to the Moon. My head was already in the clouds most of the time.

Top Bottom