What's new

EDC pocket knife - Automatic or Assisted Opening?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Here in Tennessee you can carry any type of knife of any length. I’m in the market for a new EDC pocket knife. I can’t carry my Randall fixed blade at work unfortunately. But for whatever reason - pocket knives are fine. I suspect it’s because the open carry fixed blade is easily seen whereas the concealed pocket knife is well….concealed. Out of sight out of mind.

I’ve always wanted an automatic open knife. The “switchblade”. But I’m curious if it is overkill or actually beneficial as opposed to just “cool”. Automatic open and assisted open both require a free hand. So IMO it’s not a matter of the auto being easier to operate. It will just open fast with a push of a button.

So for those that own an auto and actually carry one - is it actually beneficial? Or just cool and carried because you can?

Also, as far as GOOD or even GREAT EDC knives go - what suggestions do you have? I know the popular brands - Kershaw, Benchmade, Spyderco. Paying a couple hundred bucks for a truly great pocket knife is not an issue. Must have a pocket clip. 2”-3.5” I’d say is plenty of blade for my needs.

I’ve been eying the Benchmade Bugout and the 940. And the Benchmade Infidel model for an auto type knife. One thing that I’ve been thinking about is is there any chance an auto knife will open in my pocket? Is that a legit concern?

No actual benefits over a well designed Flipper or Assisted besides being cool.
What are you going to cut with it? The more parts moving and doing tricks the less they like rough handling. Kershaw and Protech are offering good daily carry pieces. A simple Mictrotech is also something nice. I wouldn’t recommend an OTF (out of front) regardless of being a SA or DA.

Here you can look for cool stuff https://www.pvk.vegas/

Microtech LUDT
Protech TR-3
Kershaw Launch series (No.6 could be a fit)

are all reliable side openers that won’t open in your pocket.

Last edited:
EA176B4D-49C9-4A21-8877-7F3F80F987F7.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Nice! Those are decent blades for sure it looks like. I'll check them out.

I'm leaning a lot towards the assisted open now.
A plain flipper can be as quick as greased lightning running on ball bearings without you worrying about springs.

Assisted knives are for me neither fish nor fowl but naturally I have a couple of those as well and Kershaw is a safe bet.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
No actual benefits over a well designed Flipper or Assisted besides being cool.
What are you going to cut with it? The more parts moving and doing tricks the less they like rough handling. Kershaw and Protech are offering good daily carry pieces. A simple Mictrotech is also something nice. I wouldn’t recommend an OTF (out of front) regardless of being a SA or DA.

Here you can look for cool stuff https://www.pvk.vegas/

Microtech LUDT
Protech TR-3
Kershaw Launch series (No.6 could be a fit)

are all reliable side openers that won’t open in your pocket.

Agree 100%

🤔 Have nice Benchmade auto, couple low end ones. Legal with my CCW.

A good flipper or assist is equal, IMO.

Ooo, forgot the Infidel. Rarely carried $$$$

AA

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
As autos are illegal here (unless you have only one arm--seriously), I can only speak to manual openers.

I agree with Hannes that you can get a quality manual knife that opens as quickly as an auto--with fewer moving parts, and, hence, potential problems.

I'm a bit of a Benchmade fan. For a good, lightweight carry knife that opens in a flash, the Bugout is hard to beat. A tad expensive, but BMs do carry that vaunted lifetime warranty.

All that said, were autos to become legal here tomorrow, I'd immediately buy one just because I could.

If you are looking at the Benchmade bugout (awesome knife) do yourself a favor and consider the Ontario Rat II as well. For $35 it's a seriously nice knife, a great slicer and won't make you cry if you loose or break it.
I used to carry Benchmade and Spyderco, but they just sit in a drawer because I've been carrying an Ontario Rat 1 for a few years now. The cheaper knife fit my needs better. I liked it so much that I've got an identical backup.

I'm also in the camp of not seeing the benefit of autos or assisted opening. The Kershaw leek is a nice, fast knife. My cheap little Sanrenmu 110 or whatever it is sure was fast for just a thumb stud, but it's too small or any serious work. It or a smaller Case is what I carry to church.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Benchmade Bugout arrived today. First 30 minutes with it - I love it. I’m really surprised at how LIGHT it is. Perfect blade length for me. Sharp and ready to go right out of the box. Hardly know it’s in my pocket. I feel like I’ve got knife AD now because I really want another

3897BF5A-7432-4DBF-8EE0-61A63F45E9EB.jpeg
E13ED475-25E5-484D-B1A4-76F4C9A556B2.jpeg

Benchmade Bugout arrived today. First 30 minutes with it - I love it. I’m really surprised at how LIGHT it is. Perfect blade length for me. Sharp and ready to go right out of the box. Hardly know it’s in my pocket. I feel like I’ve got knife AD now because I really want another

View attachment 1435602View attachment 1435603
Great looking knife! Have a look inside the scales with a torch and you will know why it is so light :)

Here in Tennessee you can carry any type of knife of any length. I’m in the market for a new EDC pocket knife. I can’t carry my Randall fixed blade at work unfortunately. But for whatever reason - pocket knives are fine. I suspect it’s because the open carry fixed blade is easily seen whereas the concealed pocket knife is well….concealed. Out of sight out of mind.

I’ve always wanted an automatic open knife. The “switchblade”. But I’m curious if it is overkill or actually beneficial as opposed to just “cool”. Automatic open and assisted open both require a free hand. So IMO it’s not a matter of the auto being easier to operate. It will just open fast with a push of a button.

So for those that own an auto and actually carry one - is it actually beneficial? Or just cool and carried because you can?

Also, as far as GOOD or even GREAT EDC knives go - what suggestions do you have? I know the popular brands - Kershaw, Benchmade, Spyderco. Paying a couple hundred bucks for a truly great pocket knife is not an issue. Must have a pocket clip. 2”-3.5” I’d say is plenty of blade for my needs.

I’ve been eying the Benchmade Bugout and the 940. And the Benchmade Infidel model for an auto type knife. One thing that I’ve been thinking about is is there any chance an auto knife will open in my pocket? Is that a legit concern?
My Benchmade auto has a safety slide that can be engaged if needed. Only time I can think it would be needed is combat parachute jumps or maybe confined quarters vehicle ops. Cheers.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have several autos and assisted openers. I also feel they offer zero benefit. I can open a flipper or thumb stud knife quicker, and they are more nimble and maneuverable. Fit better in the pocket too. You can not beat a Bugout for light duty EDC. Excellent choice! But I find it too light for real outdoors adventure use, as I am afraid to damage that thin blade. So I got a Griptilian for that type of heavier camping usage. It is a bigger beefy knife and feels right at home carving wood and cutting brush. Due to its ease of carry, the Grip has relegated my venerable Buck 110 into semi retirement now. But it is heavier and more bulky than the Bugout, so there is a trade off.

Speaking about knife AD, I had just two or three knives in my rotation before I discovered the EDC thread on here! Now I have a dozen or so. I also got a Spyderco Delica, which I love for EDC. It has become my go-to EDC. I can’t seem to put it down. And yes, the Ontario RAT 2 is quite a capable EDC for crazy cheap. But the big surprise was the Civivi Elementum in Micarta. That is one smooth opening flipper, with a beautiful grind and great hand feel. It’s constructed like a knife double the cost. It’s a deep rabbit hole. Enjoy it!

I have several Kershaw skylines and an assistEd opening leek. Much like you, I wanted one just because it was interesting. I stopped carrying it in my pocket after it came open 2 times in my pocket. It was not clipped to the pocket but loose in the pocket with keys. I didn’t want the clip to show. My other pocket Carrie’s my phone. At that point, it turned into my truck knife. It is great there. I have since turned to USA made Spyderco knives. They are my favorite carry now. I am looking at the benchmade now as well!

Top Bottom