What's new

EDC items?

I've recently decided to start carrying a bag around for my day to day activities since I was sick of everything weighing down my pockets.

But now that I have some extra space for items, I was wondering if there are any other items that people on this forum have with them as every day carry items?

I was thinking about adding a leatherman and a small flashlight to the bag as part of my items (right now, I have my wallet, keys, cell phone, sunglasses, a small pad/pen, and occasionally my pipe and lighter).

Anything else I might find useful on a day to day basis?

--Dennis

I often have a couple band-aids, a few cough drops, and a little pill capsule with ibuprofen, gravol, or any other general medication you might need. A city map might be a good idea too. Oh, and perhaps a granola bar, juice box, or some small snack (this will save you some money too!).

My standard daily carry consists of my wallet (sans money :biggrin:), keys, my NiteCore D10 flashlight, my Spyderco P'kal, cell phone and a handkerchief.

Occasionally I'll bring my little Leatherman S2 Juice with me.

I go out of my way to find the smallest, thinnest, lightest things when possible. Note, the keys are just the quick detach, car keys are separate - utilikey, LED and a vial of nitro quick dissolve tablets (never know when you need to save someones life) along with office/home keys on the quick detach. Wallet is the All-Ett leather International (incredibly thin), iphone 3G, and the watch and pocket knife change daily. Watch = Omega Seamaster Pro, Knife = Emerson CQC7 BW.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I go out of my way to find the smallest, thinnest, lightest things when possible. Note, the keys are just the quick detach, car keys are separate - utilikey, LED and a vial of nitro quick dissolve tablets (never know when you need to save someones life) along with office/home keys on the quick detach. Wallet is the
All-Ett leather International (incredibly thin), iphone 3G, and the watch and pocket knife change daily. Watch = Omega Seamaster Pro, Knife = Emerson CQC7 BW.

Can you tell me a little bit more about these? I've never known anyone to carry them.

Legion

Staff member
Can you tell me a little bit more about these? I've never known anyone to carry them.

I believe they are for people with heart problems, angina (Sp?) etc. I think my grandmother use to take them.

I always have a pocket knife of some sort in one pocket and my zippo lighter in the other. I've quit smoking now but the zippo still comes in handy as a light source, etc. (And lighting pretty girls smokes in bars...:biggrin:)

I believe they are for people with heart problems, angina (Sp?) etc. I think my grandmother use to take them.

That's what I thought too, but I've never known anyone to carry them and I've never seen them either. I think it's a great thing to carry and something I wanted to look into, but I'd like more information before I go off impulse buying. I also want to know as much as I can before ever considering using such a thing on myself or others.

That's what I thought too, but I've never known anyone to carry them and I've never seen them either. I think it's a great thing to carry and something I wanted to look into, but I'd like more information before I go off impulse buying. I also want to know as much as I can before ever considering using such a thing on myself or others.

They're for folks with heart problems, and often given to folks with esophageal spasms - so that they don't choke to death on food. They can be handy if someone is having severe chest pain (suspect a heart attack) or is someone is having an esophageal spasm, or choking. To get them however, you'll need a prescription, so you'll need to state a viable use case, or have a doctor who understands you have an elderly grandma/grandpa who's too stubborn to carry them, so you want to do so for 'em :wink:

In any case, don't carry them unless 1.) You know what you're doing and when to deploy them 2.) You're willing to accept a tremendous amount of liability, as the individual's mouth you might shove one in, might be taking prescription drugs which interact with it, and you promptly kill them.

They're for folks with heart problems, and often given to folks with esophageal spasms - so that they don't choke to death on food. They can be handy if someone is having severe chest pain (suspect a heart attack) or is someone is having an esophageal spasm, or choking. To get them however, you'll need a prescription, so you'll need to state a viable use case, or have a doctor who understands you have an elderly grandma/grandpa who's too stubborn to carry them, so you want to do so for 'em :wink:

In any case, don't carry them unless 1.) You know what you're doing and when to deploy them 2.) You're willing to accept a tremendous amount of liability, as the individual's mouth you might shove one in, might be taking prescription drugs which interact with it, and you promptly kill them.

This is why I always ask. :biggrin: Thanks for the info Joel.

I used to keep a bottle opener on my key chain, but don't any more (a bit too bulky plus I alway where a large belt buckle works just fine) might be a good idea though. I also don't go anywhere with out lip balm, particularly during winter!

Just like everyone else... wallet (I prefer the front pocket ones), cell phone, keys, watch.

The only thing I'll add is that I always have a USB thumb drive on my keychain. 8GB, smaller than any keys on the ring, and not noticable as far as weight is concerned. Now that I have it, I can't imagine not carrying it at all times. I guess I get the geek award for this thread:biggrin:

Not so fast trying to snatch up the geek award there. I carry one around as well during the school year. But I do suppose you have me beat carrying it around all the time, plus I only carry 2GB. I coneced.:biggrin:

No murse here :wink:, but I still carry a backpack a few times a week. I suppose soon I'm going to switch to a proper briefcase.

Anyway, I would suggest you add the following:

-small first aid kit (band aids, gauze, latex gloves, cpr face shield, a small vial of OTC painkillers, etc.)

-notebook (Moleskin is a popular choice)

-flashlight

-dry pair of socks (wet socks are a pet peeve of mine)

-variety of writing instruments (pens, highlighters, markers, etc)

-supplies to start a fire (those magnesium starters are okay, but I prefer a butane lighter and some small rolls of newspaper dipped in paraffin)

-self defense implements appropriate to your locale/preference. Since I CCW on my person I'd stick a can of pepper spray and possibly an expandable baton in there. Just get what you feel comfortable with though.

Just curious, but what does the squirt have that you cant do with the skeletool or the other stuff you carry?

I stopped carrying the Squirt when I got the Skeletool, figuring I didn't need it any more. The very next day I needed two pliers. :rolleyes: It's small enough I don't notice it. It's also the only tool I have with any kind of file on it.
The Ridge is the same way. I don't need it, but it's so freakin small it I don't notice it. Either one of them is less scary than the Skeletool to the other people in my office.

keys, wallet and chapstick lol. I probably should carry a pen but never do.

I wish I lived in the States and could concealed carry, sometimes I carry a folder knife but it's a tool really, if I was mugged or something I'm not sure I'd save the day by trying to start a knife fight. I'd get one of those extendo batons but I'm pretty certain it would be illegal, a knife isn't necessarily since the onus is on the cops to prove that its purpose was as a weapon - ie. the guy with a folder in his sock outside a nightclub is doing something illegal and the guy with a swiss army knife on his keychain isn't.

I carry a Benchmade Mini Griptilian, a Fenix P2D, keys, Blackberry, and wallet.

Oh yah, cigarettes and a lighter, unfortunately.

I'm about to get a small bag (probably a belt clipped bag) myself:

Wallet
Leatherman
Pocketknife (because although there is a knife on the leatherman....a "normal" knife is just MUCH nicer to use)
Fenix flashlight
Cellphone
Keys
Pen (probably one of tose that writes on virtually ANYTHING.)
Maybe a diamond pocket sharpener (very cheap but very handy)
Not much more. It's basically for whatever I have in my pockets....but since I empty my pockets as soon as I walk into any building for any duration of time (home, my parents etc) I figured I might as well place it all in one bag and not have to bother with all the hassle of emptying them one by one.

Top Bottom