What's new

EDC Flashlight

image.jpg

Ouchyfoot:

Your thoughts on Surefire, Malkoff and Elzetta please.

I am most impressed. I am not sure I have even seen what appears to be a dedicated flashlight working/tuning/building bench before.

You are awesome.

Edited to add-please offer thoughts re your EDC.

Ouchyfoot:

Your thoughts on Surefire, Malkoff and Elzetta please.

I am most impressed. I am not sure I have even seen what appears to be a dedicated flashlight working/tuning/building bench before.

You are awesome.

Edited to add-please offer thoughts re your EDC.
Actually I don’t have any of those brands. Mine are mostly off brand torches from China that I took apart and threw averything away. Installed my own drivers, LEDs and filled the heads with copper for maximum heat syncing which allows me to push the LEDs way past their factory specs. Some of those flashlights could probably start a small fire on the moon. I’m not really doing flashlights anymore as I seemed to hit the point where I didn’t have any more goals to aim for.

If you need any kind of info, here is a link to my old site Burgent Light Forum (BLF). They can answer any question you have. They’re like Badger and Blade but for flashlights instead of shaving.
i haven’t been there for a while. I went under ouchyfoot there as well.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Lol. My wife I take all our vacation in July. We are camping maniacs. It has been especially easy to coordinate this year with the COVId interruptions.

We are Jealous. I can’t wait until we can be camping maniacs. How is camping and safety now?

A lot of things have changed in the last 20 years. Recent news of the 3 guys killed in the woods while fishing causes some thought and concern.

what advise do you have Brian for soon to be retired campers?

We are Jealous. I can’t wait until we can be camping maniacs. How is camping and safety now?

A lot of things have changed in the last 20 years. Recent news of the 3 guys killed in the woods while fishing causes some thought and concern.

what advise do you have Brian for soon to be retired campers?

Since it’s a flashlight thread, I’ll state that I dislike having too many types of lights. I like to get multiples of my favorites and I am always familiar with them that way. I stash them everywhere in my gear. I’m getting old and somewhat picky.

Me and the wife plan to take off south for the winter in a smaller travel trailer if we ever get to retire. For now it’s a July adventure.

State campgrounds in Michigan provide a nice mix of amenities for the gals and beaches for me and my son. Get the reservation 6months ahead or you’re not getting the site you want. Planning is key! Every year we try somewhere new and go back to a favorite park as well. Big water is the key for us. These are very safe. It took me a while to get used to camping by other folks, but I have found them to be very friendly on average. I keep my carry locked in a vehicle safe in these parks. There are too many little kids running around and I’m constantly back and fort to the beach. Not to mention cocktail hour starts at 8 am and continues until I go to bed.....

My wife will no longer boondock on state or federal land. My son will and we do some fishing and hunting while camping sans the wife. I have a really nice pop up. It’s a 360 degree screen room if you want. Spectacular for setting up in the woods and fun to sit in and enjoy the views without mosquitos in the am. Much nicer than a tent. I always carry in these instances, but have only been bothered by 4 legged critters

Backpacking is still wonderful. I do that with my son and brother but I no longer go on week long expeditions with 60# packs. 3 day trips are my fav now. This keeps me in shape. Never been bothered by anyone backpacking either. We are super careful, due to bears, with our food and cooking gear. Usually hang it in a tree near camp. I carry while backpacking but the extra weight sucks. I do love how small and light flashlights are now. Oddly I cannot stand headlamps. Not sure why I dislike them so much, but I do carry one when backpacking.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I carry an old Surefire E2D, as in the non LED version old. I've been carrying it for at least 15yrs and maybe longer. As long as I change the batteries and the lamp it just keeps on going. It's a 60 lumen lamp which doesn't sound like much but I've never felt like I needed more light when using it. 5E61C367-B6F8-44D6-BC53-E0B6B28A9A9F.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Fenix E28 arrived the day before the hurricane (Sept. 16).

It was my go-to in the days without power. I need to write a review.

It's a smaller 18650 with fairly simple electronics and 1500 lumen over boost.

With it, I got to watch the water rise in the garage... Waiting for it to float our cars. (At high water it was maybe 9 inches. Our cars were OK).

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I just looked and the Surefire E2D LED light is 1000 lumens. That’s only 940 more than my old E2D. It may be time for an upgrade.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Since my Nitecore P12 has been such a stellar performer in the years I've been using it, I decided I wanted a bit more throw than the 200 yards it gives. This was in my mailbox today.

IMG_3399.JPG

OAL is 6 1/8" and not much more in my hand than the P12. Five brightness modes and the Nitecore 5000mAh 21700 battery is currently holding 4.3v. It also came with an 18650 battery sleeve so they can also be used. Also available in a Hunting Kit for those that can.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I received the Malkoff MDC E2 head for my old E2D in the mail today. Upgraded to 450 lumens from 70. Huge difference.
5D7FCA90-DB60-43F3-A89A-8AA359E07CA0.jpeg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

AA

Don't know why I'm just seeing this.

1500 lumens, small for pocket carry, rechargeable, under $60? What's not to love. :)

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I just picked up a Fenix PD40R v2.0 rechargable. The standard setting are plenty good at 30/350/1000 lumens and the Turbo mode at 3000 lumens is perfect for signaling the I.S.S. :lol: I really like the strobe mode too. 2500 lumens of flashy goodness is a nice less than lethal option. I say that but I strobed myself and I am pretty sure I induced brain damage! For how long should I be tasting colors for after that little event?

Top Bottom