What's new

EDC bag

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
After what happened here in Texas with the winter apocalypse I decided to make up an EDC bag. Surprisingly I’ve already used it. I bought a medium Sized bag from Osprey. It has a place for a water bladder and other goodies. What is your EDC bag and what is in your bag?

I also made up a 72 hour tactical bag but that’s for another post.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I don't have a "bug out" bag. I'm pretty much set to just stay home during power outages and such. I'm stocked up on food, propane, and gas for the generator. I'm on a well for water.

And ammo. I have enough ammo to get by. But you live in a city. I'm interested to see what other people have for a bag.

Spam. Spam. Spam. And water. And snake bite remedy. :)

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I don't have an EDC bag per se. I do have a GoBag of sorts with a change of clothes and some comfort items like tea bags & granola bars. A small basic first aid kit, some witch hazel wipes, ,prescription meds, that sort of thing. A few tools like scissors and a multi tool (pliers/knife). Headlamp/flashlight. A folded up garbage liner. Bandana/buff, extra pair of sunglasses. Mechanics gloves. Nitrile gloves. Some cash in small bills. A travel charger and cable for phone. I use a Rush24 backpack.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Good gravy. I have about six of them.

Typically a well-made backpack (Spec OPs Gear etc) and all the usual stuff.

AA

Legion

Staff member
In the Barbershop...

I keep a pouch made by Domke with my "just in case" stuff. Then I can swap that into whatever day bag I am carrying that day.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
In the Barbershop...

I keep a pouch made by Domke with my "just in case" stuff. Then I can swap that into whatever day bag I am carrying that day.
I reread this old thread too. I think the edc is something different from an emergency bag or bug out.I’ve been using an unglamorous Steele Canvas tote but I’m thinking a emergency bag is a good idea for nothing less than keeping some important documents and items in one place. Being more organized is a dream of mine. 🥺

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I reread this old thread too. I think the edc is something different from an emergency bag or bug out.I’ve been using an unglamorous Steele Canvas tote but I’m thinking a emergency bag is a good idea for nothing less than keeping some important documents and items in one place. Being more organized is a dream of mine. 🥺
I have a bugout, SHTF bag that stays at home, but my edc “just in case” pouch is more handy things, like cord, a torch, pencil and paper, Leatherman, and so on.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Is your “just in case pouch” similar in size to the old army pouches David?

Been stranded in the middle of nowhere during a blizzard a couple times. I learned the value of a well provisioned bug out bag a long time ago.

The closest I have to an EDC bag is my cooler. I keep bottles of water, trail mix, granola bars, and sun screen in it. It goes into the car every morning and back into the house every evening. I just leave it in the car during the winter.

Each car has things like tarp, blankets, tool kit, chargers, flashlight, etc in it. I do have a separate bug out bag that stays home for things like a natural disaster if I must leave in a hurry. It's a Rush brand bag.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
This is my EDC bag. It goes with me literally everywhere I go. It has stuff I may need while out and about like minor first aid supplies, flashlight, paper and pen, portable batteries and charging cables, some toiletry supplies, there’s a coozie in there, you get the idea. It usually also carries an LCP with 2 spare mags. It’s all leather and heavy but the strap can be threaded through an o-ring to make a backpack if I need to move quickly. I also may have one time emptied it’s contents, filled it with ice, and used it to cool adult beverages when no one had a cooler. Turns out leather is a pretty good insulator.

I have a separate “get home bag” that stays in my truck. It has a few MRE’s, granola/protein bars, water, change of clothes, extra ammo, etc. Its in an old backpack that doesn’t scream tacticool. I want to blend in with the masses is I have to.

Our cars have the usual breakdown bag in them. Tools, ratchet straps, paracord, trash bags, duct tape, zip ties etc

I’m in the same boat as @simon1. I’m much more prepared to stay home and ride out whatever is going on in the world. If we absolutely must leave the house we have all of our backpacking gear loaded in a closet by the garage. We can grab the bags on the way out to the car and be self sufficient for a week. If we have longer to prepare we can stretch that to a month.

It seems like I’m over prepared (at least that’s what my wife says) but I responded to the aftermath of Katrina and saw first hand how people who were not prepared fared. I’ve responded to quite a few after tornado scenes too and that furthered my resolve to make sure were able to survive in or outside of the house after any kind of disaster, be it natural or man-made.

4B4864D4-112F-4428-A866-1CB797292848.jpeg2FFC7002-78B6-4DD8-AE1B-3E01CD78BF2B.jpeg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My EDC bag is fairly simple. I carry beef jerky, protein bars, Cash, bandanna, multi-charge cord, trash bags which makes a great rain jacket, plastic bags, off, sunscreen, gloves, winter hat, a emergency blanket, water, A small Kershaw knife, a small multi tool, a pen and rite in the rain notepad, small first aid kit, toilet paper. I need to add a few other items such as a change of T-shirt underwear and socks. I want to keep everything light but not without a good supply of things. I carry all this in my car never leaves my car.

I need to add a charging brick for Cell.

As for my bug out bag that’s a whole nother story.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I don't have a "bug out" bag. I'm pretty much set to just stay home during power outages and such.

Ditto. I don't have a "bug-out bag", I have a "bug-in house".

Been stranded in the middle of nowhere during a blizzard a couple times. I learned the value of a well provisioned bug out bag a long time ago.

That's more along the lines of "EDC preparedness" rather than "bugging out" ...

... but yes, everyday EDC preparedness is very important ... IMHO much more important than having a cool bug-out-bag stocked and ready for the next Zombie Apocalypse.

Fairly certain I can tell when someone's manpurse has a gun in it.

His manpurse is just glad to see you.

I do have a separate bug out bag that stays home for things like a natural disaster if I must leave in a hurry. It's a Rush brand bag.

... for any serious situation when you have to ... leave in a rush?

I’m much more prepared to stay home and ride out whatever is going on in the world.

Yep. My house can hold a lot more ... and more securely ... than what I can stuff into a backpack.

that’s a whole nother story.
1622143846447.png

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Forgot...I do have a medium sized backpack that I've kept behind the seat of whatever truck I have for decades. Also behind the seat are jumper cables, tow strap, rope, shop rags, gloves, come along, tarp, and fishing rod.

The backpack contains:

First aid kit
Sheath knife
Knife sharpener
Sharpening steel
Hatchet
Trash bags
Thin wire
Braided cord
Ratchet tie-downs
Duct tape
Sterno
Paper towels
Hand and foot warmers
Folding saw
Plastic baggies
A tall, round tupperware container that holds:
Waterproof matches
Fishing line
Hooks
Bobbers
Candle
Aluminum foil
More wire
Snakebite kit
Multi tool
Small file
Sandpaper

And a few other odds and ends that all fit in the backpack.

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
After what happened here in Texas with the winter apocalypse I decided to make up an EDC bag. Surprisingly I’ve already used it. I bought a medium Sized bag from Osprey. It has a place for a water bladder and other goodies. What is your EDC bag and what is in your bag?

I also made up a 72 hour tactical bag but that’s for another post.

Two 4 wheel drives and a hope and prayer that Krogers has food.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
First aid kit
Sheath knife
Knife sharpener
Sharpening steel
Hatchet
Trash bags
Thin wire
Braided cord
Ratchet tie-downs
Duct tape
Sterno
Paper towels
Hand and foot warmers
Folding saw
Plastic baggies
A tall, round tupperware container that holds:
Waterproof matches
Fishing line
Hooks
Bobbers
Candle
Aluminum foil
More wire
Snakebite kit
Multi tool
Small file
Sandpaper
Good list. There’s a couple of things I’m adding to my bag based on this list.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’m not sure why Sterno has never crossed my mind. Great way to heat a small space or water. Also going to add hand and feet warmers during the winter months.

Top Bottom