What's new

Economy Lathering Bowl - BPA Free

I have long been looking at acquiring a larger lathering bowl for the den.
Not that I need one as I generate very well using a stainless palm-sized bowl, but nonetheless restraining the urge and trying to avoid yet another Acquisition Disorder (AD).

While I was prepping for my morning shave, I had an epiphany while something caught my eye in the mirror. Could it be, the answer had been with me every morning after all ?

A little origin story is in order:
For years I have been enjoying a particular brand of instant Kimchi Noodle soup. They come packaged in a convenient ready to eat container, just add water. Back in Maui, we used to wash and reuse the bowl(s) for distributing the chicken scratch or for rinsing the tub after cleaning; hence today's encounter. I use this daily to rinse my sink post shave...

39A41061-DD4A-4454-8FEA-297199F80E52.jpeg

I had just yesterday done the weekly ritual of applying Scrubbing Bubbles followed by a round of Ajax/Bon Ami; wherein I use this same basin or bowl to rinse down after scrubbing.

C51C4499-2A19-4B05-AA36-F1EDE5DD78D8.jpeg

This morning I wondered, Hmmm... Just how well could this thing lather?
To my shock and surprise, I made the absolute most and densest lather I have to date made; in the shortest time ever to boot.

Do keep in mind that while I'm satisfied with my technique and realize that it will only get better, I've only been DE shaving since this past Boxing Day...

3B0992C5-072B-4E4F-BC8F-6586CABE829E.jpeg

My ask of you, please give this a go if you're familiar with this brand of soup. The bowls are top-rack dishwashable and pretty sturdy for what they are. I'd love to see your results and read your take. Best thing is, these are roughly < $1 (with a meal) and are recyclable when ready...

7BBD19B0-A87D-46A5-9D70-165C1FC5DE1B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reduce, reuse, recycle...

I'm curious to know how many shaves you can get out of a bowl before it starts to crack or break down.
I'll for sure keep count as I continue to use this bowl (3017 ?).
From a rinse-only perspective; this bowl is at least 2 months old and pretty rigid.

I primarily use hot water to rinse my sink and the tub.

Another great takeaway for anyone travelling:
These are commonly found in your major box stores or large chain supermarkets

I have some ceramic bowls and mugs that I've had for 50 - 60 years. I prefer Ceramic over plastic or metal.
Congratulations, sir, you're more careful than I am. After I swept up the remains of my ceramic bowl, I switched to metal. The OP's kimchi bowl could have saved me a lot.

I wonder if you could coat the outside with paper mache? You could make it smooth like ceramic or any odd design you want and then paint it maybe. You might even figure out a way to attach a handle and cover it up so it looks integrated. It would be a minimal effort for something that may not last forever.

linty1

My wallet cries.
That's a creative idea! I would want to/look to recreate it with a 3d printer somehow (I don't know how/if it's possible, I'm just an idea guy, sorry) just to make it sturdier, but I suppose you could just get another noodle bowl.

That's a creative idea! I would want to/look to recreate it with a 3d printer somehow (I don't know how/if it's possible, I'm just an idea guy, sorry) just to make it sturdier, but I suppose you could just get another noodle bowl.
I like the printer idea, but wouldn't be able to justify the cost or usage of the PLA or even less PETG.
I have these routinely available as we buy them by the case :c1:

Seriously though, they are much sturdier or rigid than initially imaginable as they are designed to withstand 85-90*C with ease.

I used this again today and easily made enough for 6-8 passes of dense foam; same load that I would normally use with my SS palm-sized lathering bowl.

In all honesty, I just found this to be a humorous what-if kind of moment...

Awesome suggestion... but a thrift store hand-thrown pottery bowl will retain the heat a little better for a quick $1 if you don't have that noodle brand in your local store :)

Top Bottom