What's new

Economical shaving

I got into wet shaving because I get a better shave at less cost. To achieve this one should pursue value, rather than chase the shiny thing of the moment. My recommendations: Lord L5, best DE in the world, less than $10; Lord Platinum blades (100 for $10); VDH boar brush, $5; soap scraps from shower, ideally 50-50 Irish Spring-Dove; Aqua Velva. Alternates would be vintage Tech or SuperSpeed, Lord L6 and Personna Blue. Keep it cheap, keep it simple

Irish Spring works pretty well for me. But even better ise a couple of other soaps at the dollar tree... Shugar Soapworks and Yardley. Those have a nice smell and smooth creamy performance. If you want a slick glycerin type soap, they usually have Pears , which makes a very nice leather, though the scent is not as nice.

But… I did a recent test with Stirling soaps. After two weeks of shaving, I figured out the amount of soap I used and one tub can last me 13 months. And that's not being skimpy . Four passes, nine creamy lather. So that's about one dollar a month. Very good price considering so many of the awesome scents that they offer.

Chiseled Face was similar and it lasted about a year as well.

One puck of William mug soap lasted me two months. And the slickness on that guy is top-tier. Though to get the best of it, you have to mix it for a while. That amounts to $7.20 for the year , the current price of 6 pucks at my local grocery store.

I think I heard a $1.50 stick of Arko will last about three months.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Glycerin soap, Bic Fex 2 (you get 3 for $1) and can get at least 10 excellent shaves each head!. AS: choose one from Walmart...they are <$4.

And Nicholas, no I haven’t tried every DE in the world, but I’ve tried enough to know bad from good to great. Have you tried the L5?

And Nicholas, no I haven’t tried every DE in the world, but I’ve tried enough to know bad from good to great. Have you tried the L5?
I've tried it as I've tried quite a few the last years, my friend. Its head is a Tech clone. It's a decent razor, it does the job, it shaves after all, a very light razor, but it's (very) far from being the best razor in the world. Actually, it's not even in my top-10 list. L6 is a bit better, but still nothing extraordinary.

I wouldn't recommend it, but that's me. There are better options without having to spend a fortune.

If it shaves you that good and you're so satisfied with the L5, congrats!

Brushjockey, give the bar soap a chance. If you haven’t tried it you can’t decry it.

I've used bar soap on my face and refuse to use it for shaving. Different soaps have a different makeup for different uses. I wouldn't wash my body with dishwasher soap either

Whatever works for you I guess. Won't catch me shaving with bar soap.
Three I mentioned, Shugar, pears, and Yardley, perform better than Proraso.

Several bar soaps that I tried don't cut it as shaving soaps, but don't knock those three until you try them, especially if you think Proraso performs well.

Three I mentioned, Shugar, pears, and Yardley, perform better than Proraso.

Several bar soaps that I tried don't cut it as shaving soaps, but don't knock those three until you try them, especially if you think Proraso performs well.

I AGREE!!! and those are even better than some other shave soaps people brag about that have noxious odors:bayrum2:

A can of shaving foam or gel (any kind it doesn't really matter) for EUR 1,50 a Fatip piccolo for EUR 15,Shark blades for EUR 9 for 100 and a 4 EUR Pitralon AS is all I need for a five minute,four pass daily BBS shave..

Oh and great technique but after 40 years of DE shaving I think I have got it....

If you got into wetshaving to save money, I'd say you are doing a great job. Personally i made the switch because i was getting terrible results from cartridges and canned shaving cream. Now i turned something i hated doing into something i enjoy. It has evolved into a hobby. I enjoy different soaps, sents, razors and brushes. For me going after the cheapest shave is just not that important.

1. Using Williams soap would be better and it's still cheap. Alernatively, a can of Barbasol is actually really good, as long as you are not opposed to canned stuff. And there is some variety in there, from classic to Purple with aloe.

2. If you are looking for blades, Sharks are your best bet (Super Stainless): 100 for $6. And they are actually good and smooth too, as long as your beard is not too tough.

3. For brush, buy a Yaqi synth for $10, and you won't need anything else any time soon. No shedding, no maintenance required and it's actually stylish (if you care).

4. Buy a vintage Gillette razor in good condition. Alternatively, you could shave with a shavette. Buy a modern Parker for $20; those Shark blades above? You don't even have to break them in half. Buy three small boxes with 100 singles (half blades) each and that will last for years. For $10, more or less.

5. Aftershave. Realistically, if your skin is not very sensitive and dry, cold water will be just fine after Williams soap. Seriously. Otherwise, any splash you can find in Walmart is fine, but I would not go that route. Nivea Men Creme is cheap and does wonders for your skin. Basically, cold water + Nivea >>> Splash.

You want cheap & quality? You got it.

Last edited:
I got into wet shaving because I get a better shave at less cost. To achieve this one should pursue value, rather than chase the shiny thing of the moment. My recommendations: Lord L5, best DE in the world, less than $10; Lord Platinum blades (100 for $10); VDH boar brush, $5; soap scraps from shower, ideally 50-50 Irish Spring-Dove; Aqua Velva. Alternates would be vintage Tech or SuperSpeed, Lord L6 and Personna Blue. Keep it cheap, keep it simple

From my POV, no one should pursue wet shaving simply for least cost!!

There are so many great, very cheap, shaving options out there!!

arko merkur feather lucky tiger january 28 2019.jpg

1. Using Williams soap would be better and it's still cheap. Alernatively, a can of Barbasol is actually really good, as long as you are not opposed to canned stuff. And there is some variety in there, from classic to Purple with aloe.

2. If you are looking for blades, Sharks are your best bet (Super Stainless): 100 for $6. And they are actually good and smooth too, as long as your beard is not too tough.

3. For brush, buy a Yaqi synth for $10, and you won't need anything else any time soon. No shedding, no maintenance required and it's actually stylish (if you care).

4. Buy a vintage Gillette razor in good condition. Alternatively, you could shave with a shavette. Buy a modern Parker for $20; those Shark blades above? You don't even have to break them in half. Buy three small boxes with 100 singles (half blades) each and that will last for years. For $10, more or less.

5. Aftershave. Realistically, if your skin is not very sensitive and dry, cold water will be just fine after Williams soap. Seriously. Otherwise, any splash you can find in Walmart is fine, but I would not go that route. Nivea Men Creme is cheap and does wonders for your skin. Basically, cold water + Nivea >>> Splash.

You want cheap & quality? You got it.
Agree w you on the Sharks, particularly at that price

Yeah I realized the other day that I can get a great shave as good as one as using a high end soap with just a can of Barbasol Sensitive. Post shave my face was smoother than smooth. And there’s plenty of protection offered from that cream. Shugar soaps were mentioned here and in my experience they work very well for shaving. They are very slick. You don’t have to pay much to get great shaves.

Top Bottom