What's new

Eclipse Red Ring vs Barbasol Floating Head

Now that I'm ''almost'' done with collecting vintage Gillette razors, I've turned my attention to a couple of other brands and these two came to my attention and I was wondering if I can get my hands on only one, which one should it be? I was told by a few collectors that both razors are (usually) on the expensive side, but like with pretty much any vintage razor, they can be found a lot cheaper with a bit of luck and patience.

So for those who own or had both at one point, which one would you recommend and why? At some point, I might end up buying both, but for one I'd be lucky if I can find one.

R

romsitsa

Ymmv: the Barbasol is highly effetive but mild with a longer than I prefer handle, not really a deal breaker. The Eclipse looks good, but never got a decent shave with them.

Now that I'm ''almost'' done with collecting vintage Gillette razors, I've turned my attention to a couple of other brands and these two came to my attention and I was wondering if I can get my hands on only one, which one should it be? I was told by a few collectors that both razors are (usually) on the expensive side, but like with pretty much any vintage razor, they can be found a lot cheaper with a bit of luck and patience.

So for those who own or had both at one point, which one would you recommend and why? At some point, I might end up buying both, but for one I'd be lucky if I can find one.

I searched a few minutes ago on the Bay and neither of these razors turned up for sale. Curious why you chose these razors to collect. If you want to collect razors less common than Gillette, I would suggest razors from the ASR group - Ever Ready, GEM and Star. They're less common than Gillette, but readily available for good prices on the Bay. Other interesting razors to collect would be the Schick Repeating razors from the 1920s and early 1930s. Uncommon, but readily available on the Bay. Really unusual razors, but can be used with modern injector blades. Let us know if you find the razors you are looking for.

G

Guest2023

Both of them are not rare at all. You can find them with some effort. I like Eclipse Red Ring a bit more because it shaves smoother. but both of them are far from my favorite.

I think Eclipse Red Ring is about 2times more expensive than Barbasol Floating Head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never owned either one. Both have been described over and over again as efficient or aggressive, harsh feeling to some people. Others think they shave great.
I don't like the looks of the Barbasol. I think the Eclipse would be my choice, but only if I could find one with the sun's rays on the top cap and an intact red ring.

They are both pretty expensive, but perhaps patience could be rewarded?

Both of them are not rare at all. You can find them with some effort. I like Eclipse Red Ring a bit more because it shaves smoother. but both of them are far from my favorite.

I think Eclipse Red Ring is about 2times more expensive than Barbasol Floating Head.

I wouldn't call them rare either, just not very common and also not very cheap either. My philosophy is - if I can get my hands on a specific razor, then that razor is uncommon at best, but not rare.

After talking to a couple of my friends about these two razors, one of them said that he has a spare Red Ring for sale and the price seems below anything I've seen recently, so it's safe to say that I'm going to grab it without a second thought. I'm also going to keep my eyes for a Floating Head too if I see one at a tempting price.

R

romsitsa

Mine is all brass, afaIk all floating heads are all brass, but there are other Barbasols/Coopers with zamak parts.

I have both and have to say the Eclipse gets a bit more love from me. It's milder and the adjustment works pretty well. The Floating Head can be a bit much on my face unless I'm removing several days worth of whisker.

I have both and both are great razors but shaves very different. Barbasol a bit more aggressive but not more efficient than a Red Ring. Also you can adjust the Red Ring.

R

romsitsa

You can also adjust the Barbasol with the same method as the Eclipse. Basically any razor with a center screw is adjustable.

After talking to a couple of my friends about these two razors, one of them said that he has a spare Red Ring for sale and the price seems below anything I've seen recently, so it's safe to say that I'm going to grab it without a second thought. I'm also going to keep my eyes for a Floating Head too if I see one at a tempting price.
I would be surprised if you don't love the Red Ring. The Barbasol is a toothy creature, but wonderful to shave with.

My personal opinion is that the Eclipse Red Ring is a top5 wonderful razor for me. I am totally smitten with it. It is just gorgeous to look at and it shaves mild, efficient and with a quite unique feel due to the bar setup. If I could keep only one non-Gillette I would keep this over my Le Supreme.

The Barbasol was too aggressive for me and more plain/like other razors. Again, my personal opinion.

Top Bottom