What's new

Eclipse of the sun, Aug 21st 2017

I was able to get this on my iPhone

IMG_0693_LR.jpg

We drove thru dense ground fog to get to my selected spot, about 8 miles south of Alliance (Lat-Long of 42.069 by -102.903..... OK, being anal, I wanted to be dead square center), after about an hour or so the fog burned off...it was stunning.
Once the moon fully covered the sun, it got dark enough to see stars and the temp dropped about 15 degrees. It was an awesome 2 min and 40 sec. Actually awe-inspiring is a better ter,. Sort of like seeing pictures of the Grand Canyon doesn't do it justice.
Here are two pics, my first of the series, just at total eclipse and the last just as the first edge of the sun broke from behind.
On the first pic, that little white dot at 7 o'clock is a star, thats how dark it got.

Al in Colorado

That little white dot was actually Mars. At least that's what the announcer told us at Clemson University. Also to the right of the sun and lower in the sky was what appeared to be another star but was actually Venus.
IMG_0051.JPG

You are 100% correct in awe-inspiring, and pictures don't do it justice. Easily one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life.

IMG_0034.JPG

Notice the crescent shaped shadows on the ground through the trees. Cause by the moon partially blocking the sun.
IMG_0052.JPG

And finally no this picture wasn't taken at 9:00 last night but rather at 2:30 during the day. It stayed like that for 2 and half minutes and the crickets started chirping :)
My wife and I started looking up the next available eclipse as soon as we got back in the car because we were just so amazed at what we saw. We will definitely be travelling to totality again in 7 years when the US gets another one.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
All the photos I see of the people looking up makes me think aliens have invaded. I get a chuckle when I see them.

640mm acromat telescope, Herschel wedge, 25mm eyepiece
Nikon D-300s, 50mm, afocal shot (forgot my t-ring!)
Came out pretty sharp anyway
1.jpg

Nikon D-300s, 80-400mm at 400, no filters
7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom