What's new

Eclipse of the sun, Aug 21st 2017

August 21st this year we will be treated to a total solar eclipse that will be viewable throughout much of North America.

Eclipse: Who? What? Where? When? and How? | Total Solar Eclipse 2017

That day falls on a Monday which is typically a working day for me, making photography of that event impossible unless I take that day off from work :a2:

Looks like solar filters for a camera lens are not too terribly expensive, but then there is the question of what the weather will be like that day. I'm thinking of trying to go for it.

Calling on the great photographic experts of Badger and Blade for your sage eclipse photography wisdom!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Lane:
That's totally awesome! :thumbsup:

From the link you enclosed...looks like the Mrs. and I should have a good viewing that night...can't wait to see the pics from
our Members.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"It's only during an eclipse that the person in the moon has a place in the sun" Author Unknown

Lane:
That's totally awesome! :thumbsup:

From the link you enclosed...looks like the Mrs. and I should have a good viewing that night...can't wait to see the pics from
our Members.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"It's only during an eclipse that the person in the moon has a place in the sun" Author Unknown

Hi Christopher!

I am hoping I'll be able to get that day off work and the plan is to use a solar filter over my 35-350 Canon zoom to photograph it.

I'll only be in a zone that covers roughly 65% but I'll take it!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hi Christopher!

I am hoping I'll be able to get that day off work and the plan is to use a solar filter over my 35-350 Canon zoom to photograph it.

I'll only be in a zone that covers roughly 65% but I'll take it!
Hi Lane:
I won't be taking any pics, but from I'm at...I'll take 50% visibility any day! :thumbsup:

453576-238c8c2f83182a5832cda153a468f01d.jpg
"It's only during an eclipse that the [...] Moon has a place in the sun". Popular Eclipse Proverb”

I have my solar filter on order. This is a very affordable <$15 universal filter that fits up to 80mm lens objectives. My lens for this will be the 72mm 35-350 f3.5-5.6L Canon.

Once received I need to do some bracketing experiments on a plain old sun in the sky day and test various exposure settings probably around f5.6-8

Two more small details have to fall into place for that day to be successful...the weather, and getting the day off work!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Baader filter and a 200mm planned; 83% if there's no clouds.

Pessimistically... I bet freaking clouds will wash it out. It's just so hot, humid and cloudy in August.

AA

I'm driving down to Tennessee (from Maryland), for the eclipse. But although I'm an avid amateur photographer, I won't be photographing the eclipse. Instead, I'll be focused on watching the eclipse, enjoying it, etc. Without the distraction of having to photograph it.

(I've been an amateur astronomer for many years, but this will be my first total solar eclipse. And I'm assured that the difference between experiencing a total eclipse and a partial eclipse - even a 90+% partial - is akin to the difference between listening to a concert on the car radio, and actually being at the concert in person.)

I figure there will be more than enough people photographing the eclipse. And more than a few of them will be highly skilled astrophotographers and/or eclipse photographers. Lots of them will have access to better photographic equipment than I do, too. (No EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM is likely in my near future.) And while skill and luck can certainly trump equipment at times, don't fool yourself - when it comes to photographing eclipses, high quality super telephoto glass is a nice thing to have.

If I want pictures of the eclipse, there will be plenty available from which to choose.

Plus, I'm going to be wandering around the small Tennessee town, where I'll be watching the eclipse. On what will likely be a hot day (because August in Tennessee tends to be hot). Going into small shops, going up to vendors' tables, taking part in the various activities which will fill the hours from early morning, to eclipse time. Tough to do that enjoyably while lugging around a camera or two, a big, heavy lens or two, a solid tripod, etc.

Now, all this having been said, I will be taking lots of pictures that day. Of the pre-eclipse activities and of the people during the eclipse. And maybe even one or two of the dreaded "selfie." But I'll be using small, lightweight gear. Probably just a cell phone camera and a Canon p&s.

But to each his own, of course.

I'm driving down to Tennessee (from Maryland), for the eclipse. But although I'm an avid amateur photographer, I won't be photographing the eclipse. Instead, I'll be focused on watching the eclipse, enjoying it, etc. Without the distraction of having to photograph it.

(I've been an amateur astronomer for many years, but this will be my first total solar eclipse. And I'm assured that the difference between experiencing a total eclipse and a partial eclipse - even a 90+% partial - is akin to the difference between listening to a concert on the car radio, and actually being at the concert in person.)

I figure there will be more than enough people photographing the eclipse. And more than a few of them will be highly skilled astrophotographers and/or eclipse photographers. Lots of them will have access to better photographic equipment than I do, too. (No EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM is likely in my near future.) And while skill and luck can certainly trump equipment at times, don't fool yourself - when it comes to photographing eclipses, high quality super telephoto glass is a nice thing to have.

If I want pictures of the eclipse, there will be plenty available from which to choose.

Plus, I'm going to be wandering around the small Tennessee town, where I'll be watching the eclipse. On what will likely be a hot day (because August in Tennessee tends to be hot). Going into small shops, going up to vendors' tables, taking part in the various activities which will fill the hours from early morning, to eclipse time. Tough to do that enjoyably while lugging around a camera or two, a big, heavy lens or two, a solid tripod, etc.

Now, all this having been said, I will be taking lots of pictures that day. Of the pre-eclipse activities and of the people during the eclipse. And maybe even one or two of the dreaded "selfie." But I'll be using small, lightweight gear. Probably just a cell phone camera and a Canon p&s.

But to each his own, of course.

Great take on the entire event!

I live in what will only be a 65% zone. The last eclipse I remember was sometime in 90's I want to remember, and I used a pair of welding goggles to view it.

This could be do-able.

Just had my Canon setup outside with solar filter. This is a cheapie (<$15) slip-on that basically relies on friction to stay on the end of the lens. That's not a biggie because when shooting sun pics, your rig is always pointing upward.

Here's what it looks like on the end of my Canon 35-350mm f3.5-5.6L

proxy.php

I bracketed a few shots and found f11 - 1/160th @350mm (effective 560mm) turned out okay. It's a challenge focusing on the LCD viewfinder because you are bathed in brilliant light all the while. Even with sunglasses on I had to sort of "guess" precise focus due to the design feature of long tele's that allow them to focus slightly past infinity. But here's the giant nuclear orb that brings us life as I experienced it moments ago!

proxy.php

Now just give us clear weather on Aug 21st!

It's a challenge focusing on the LCD viewfinder because you are bathed in brilliant light all the while. Even with sunglasses on I had to sort of "guess" precise focus due to the design feature of long tele's that allow them to focus slightly past infinity.
At some point prior to the eclipse - hours prior, days prior, whatever - put your lens into manual focus mode. Aim it at something at effective infinity - the moon would be an ideal target, although eclipse day itself coincides with a new moon, obviously, so that won't work. A tall tower or building or mountain, several miles away could work.

Focus the lens. Tape it in place, so it doesn't move from this focus point. If you don't tape all the focus controls on your lens, you WILL accidentally change focus, and you won't notice it until at least 90% of your pictures of the eclipse have been taken with the lens focused at 42 feet distance, resulting in unsharp pictures of the eclipse. So tape over the manual focus ring, the AF/MF selector control, and whatever else might permit the lens to change focus.

Done. It's focused at infinity. Which will give you nicely focused pics of the moon, the sun, stars, any non-Earth planets, etc. All of these things will remain at effective infinity, so no need for auto-focus or for re-focusing while shooting them.

BTW, I recommend gaffer's tape (aka "gaff tape"). Not duct tape. Duct tape can leave behind gummy residue, particularly (but not exclusively) in warm weather. Gaffer's tape won't. Many people are sensitive about keeping their lenses gummy residue-free.

Another tip - if you're using a zoom lens which can change focal length when point nearly straight up or straight down (some lenses are subject to this, and others are not), go ahead and tape the lens to its maximum focal length (or whichever length you desire, but for an eclipse it's likely you want all the length your zoom's got).

Heck, tape that friction-fit solar filter in place, while you're at it.

Bring a spare camera battery (or your one battery will die just as the eclipse approaches totality). Bring a spare memory card (or your one card will mysteriously fail just as the eclipse approaches totality). A spare camera, lens, and tripod, would not be too paranoid. A spare filter makes sense, too.

If worse comes to worst, there's always the 2024 eclipse.

At some point prior to the eclipse - hours prior, days prior, whatever - put your lens into manual focus mode. Aim it at something at effective infinity - the moon would be an ideal target, although eclipse day itself coincides with a new moon, obviously, so that won't work. A tall tower or building or mountain, several miles away could work.

Focus the lens. Tape it in place, so it doesn't move from this focus point. If you don't tape all the focus controls on your lens, you WILL accidentally change focus, and you won't notice it until at least 90% of your pictures of the eclipse have been taken with the lens focused at 42 feet distance, resulting in unsharp pictures of the eclipse. So tape over the manual focus ring, the AF/MF selector control, and whatever else might permit the lens to change focus.

Done. It's focused at infinity. Which will give you nicely focused pics of the moon, the sun, stars, any non-Earth planets, etc. All of these things will remain at effective infinity, so no need for auto-focus or for re-focusing while shooting them.

BTW, I recommend gaffer's tape (aka "gaff tape"). Not duct tape. Duct tape can leave behind gummy residue, particularly (but not exclusively) in warm weather. Gaffer's tape won't. Many people are sensitive about keeping their lenses gummy residue-free.

Another tip - if you're using a zoom lens which can change focal length when point nearly straight up or straight down (some lenses are subject to this, and others are not), go ahead and tape the lens to its maximum focal length (or whichever length you desire, but for an eclipse it's likely you want all the length your zoom's got).

Heck, tape that friction-fit solar filter in place, while you're at it.

Bring a spare camera battery (or your one battery will die just as the eclipse approaches totality). Bring a spare memory card (or your one card will mysteriously fail just as the eclipse approaches totality). A spare camera, lens, and tripod, would not be too paranoid. A spare filter makes sense, too.

If worse comes to worst, there's always the 2024 eclipse.

Great tips!

I agree with Michael's sentiment. This is a once or twice in a lifetime event for me, and I'm right smack in the center of totality (St. Joseph, MO). My only attempt at pictures are with these pinhole cameras my assistant helped me assemble.

Everything is ready and waiting for the light-sensitive photo paper to be delivered. I've just got to find a couple safe spots around town that will provide a picturesque view of the sun's path across the sky.

I'm going to set up a few as early as this weekend (if my paper arrives), and then a few more in the days leading up to the event.

full

full

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Agree with 12345 in that others will get better shots; it's important to enjoy the experience.

That said, I'm planning on watching the heck out of it with giant Oberwerk / Baader-filtered binocs. And trying a few DSLR shots at totality.

Any hams? I might join the way-cool radio experiment ... google project Eclipse Mob.

AA

I agree with Michael's sentiment. This is a once or twice in a lifetime event for me, and I'm right smack in the center of totality (St. Joseph, MO). My only attempt at pictures are with these pinhole cameras my assistant helped me assemble.

Everything is ready and waiting for the light-sensitive photo paper to be delivered. I've just got to find a couple safe spots around town that will provide a picturesque view of the sun's path across the sky.

I'm going to set up a few as early as this weekend (if my paper arrives), and then a few more in the days leading up to the event.

full

full

Way cool!

If all goes as planned please post some results!

I was appalled and dismayed by those pictures of what I can only assume is a Chinese sweatshop, where exploited young children crank out huge numbers of cheap knock-offs of American pinhole cameras.
FAKE NEWS! Those beer cans are obviously AMERICAN beer! Proof that this is a high-quality American sweatshop you see! This kid was thrilled to be able to eat dinner tonight because of his hard work!

Top Bottom