What's new

Ebonite Redux

https://www.google.com/search?q=for...ved=0ahUKEwiuw5nt1Z7MAhWlwYMKHYZhAl0Q_AUIBygC

Wonder if chunks of this stuff exist in large enough size to turn into a handle?

That would be all sorts of cool especially if it came from a real American auto plant.
Ken or Cody mentioned Fordite in conversation a while back. Once I saw what it was I got to looking for a chunk big enough for a brush. I was never able to find anything, but I was able to find some small slabs that, if cut in half & glued together, might haves worked. But it'd be an expensive one-off experiment.

$EBO_Warrior_Elite.pngWhen I saw the word ebonite, I thought this thread was about Ebonite bowling balls!

I haven't had the chance to buy a brush from Paladin since the original batch due to lack of time, but I will be sure to do whatever is necessary to be in place to order an Ebonite Falstaff! Looking through the brushes (which are all sold out) on the website it is amazing how finely finished each is and realizing that even if I were online when a batch is released I would likely still miss out as I struggled internally with which to order first. Well done Ken and company, I look forward to everything that is in line for production and further developments!

Hi Pete!
Ken or Cody mentioned Fordite in conversation a while back. Once I saw what it was I got to looking for a chunk big enough for a brush. I was never able to find anything, but I was able to find some small slabs that, if cut in half & glued together, might haves worked. But it'd be an expensive one-off experiment.

I've looked into Fordite myself for something else. Big pieces are really hard to find. And very expensive. I'm sure Ebonite is way cheaper!

Hi KJ!

Yes, I don't know if Fordite even lends itself to machining, but ebonite is probably cheaper, in better supply & almost certainly is less inclined to chip or fracture. Additionally, the ebonite posted at the front of this thread is as beautiful as any Fordite I've ever seen.

I bet the ebonite feels great in hand, definitely looks amazing! I have a sumo on the way and couldn't be more excited. Although I favor the Chief style handle, the Sumo looks cool and the Strawberry Amber rod looks fantastic:

I have a Sumo and it wouldn't seem like a great handle shape but it really is. Usually handles have a top "shelf" or shoulder nearest to the knot and then take me down but this actually gets bigger as it goes from top to bottom. But unlike a "barrel" shape the area where the "torso" and bottom meet create an ergonomic spot for your hands.

I like handles that really marry function with abstract form and the Sumo is a great example of it.

I have a Sumo and it wouldn't seem like a great handle shape but it really is.

I concur. I saw the sumo on the website and thought it looked like a terribly awkward handle. But I got to hold one and test out the feel and it's amazingly comfortable. It's on my list!

Damn...my birthday is coming up in 3 weeks...would love to get a black ebonite with the gold layering with a 28mm fan knot...a lotus would be awesome as it would be different to my chubbys! But it isn't like it's gonna happen is it :)

Surprisingly, at least to me, it's about the same weight as polyester. But Ebonite has a very different feel -- it's warmer. I honestly don't know whether I could tell the difference with my eyes closed. But that hardly matters since I don't shave with my eyes closed...
This pretty much sums it up. I do shave with my eyes closed in order to get a better focus on the moment. I can report that I can tell the difference... :001_smile

The fact that this feeling is extremely difficult to catch in a picture makes it even more elusive. In my mind there is no doubt that Ebonite is something warmer and friendlier than an ordinary resin handle.

$Paladins1.jpg
24 mm Ebonite and 28 mm resin Falstaff with the new knot

$Paladins2.jpg

$Paladins3.jpg

$5.jpg
Dark Holler stock pic of my handle and a standard resin handle​

Last edited:
Go to the website when inventory has been made available. You can find out when that will happen by following on the Facebook & the Twitters.

Top Bottom