What's new

Ebonite Redux

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
This is an experiment to see if it's possible to bring any life back to this sub-forum.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Does the handle feel heavy?

Surprisingly, at least to me, it's about the same weight as polyester. But Ebonite has a very different feel -- it's warmer. I honestly don't know whether I could tell the difference with my eyes closed. But that hardly matters since I don't shave with my eyes closed.

Ebonite is going to be expensive. Not because we intend to manipulate supply/demand. It simply takes a lot more money, time, and effort to make and finish an ebonite handle. I expect they'll be worth the price to a few, but not most. In any case, we don't plan to turn out very many of them.

Functionally, an Ebonite-handled brush is not going to out-perform one with an acrylic or polyester handle.That is, unless it gets dropped, in which case Ebonite clearly rules.

I will buy one of those. Is there any issue with turning ebonite in a PK-47 handle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I will buy one of those. Is there any issue with turning ebonite in a PK-47 handle?

No issue.

The issue had been that we spent several thousand dollars on Ebonite rod over a year ago, and most of it turned out not to be of sufficient diameter to serve our purposes. I ate that investment. Nevertheless, we love making Ebonite handles, even though the material is extremely challenging to work with.

The woman who owns the manufacturing company in Germany likes what we're trying to do and has been very supportive but hard to maintain connection with due to extensive travel and involvement with other companies. It's been worth the wait, however. She recently sent us a package of samples produced using a modified process developed with our application in mind. The handles shown above are some of the first we've turned. I plan to meet with her later this month or in early May.

Bad news is we can make several polyester handles in the time it takes to make one from Ebonite. So getting back into it will have implications for our production capacity, which is pretty limited anyhow. We'll have to strike a balance. I doubt we'll make more than around a dozen Ebonite brushes in any given month unless we find ways to be significantly more efficient at it.

I bet the ebonite feels great in hand, definitely looks amazing! I have a sumo on the way and couldn't be more excited. Although I favor the Chief style handle, the Sumo looks cool and the Strawberry Amber rod looks fantastic:

$image.jpg
$image.jpg

Top Bottom