What's new

eBay starshavingsupplies strop...

Has anyone bought/used any of these strops? I searched on the forum but haven't see anything.

It's nothing fancy, but for the price I was thinking of picking one up to try out, mainly for the felt component: Click Here.

I have the 3 inch wide version from him.

It's not super fancy, but works quite well. I have left the felt side, just plain with out pastes.

I honestly think this is a very nice option for a newbie just getting started in straight shaving: pretty nice quality, and you won't feel bad for destroying it, since the cost is not too high.

The gentleman was also a huge pleasure to do business with, and very eager to help a newbie out.

He sells a number of other items as well, such as bench strops that come with felt/diamond, and balsa/chromium oxide. (he also sells a bench strop that has leather, but I was disappointed in it; the leather is super hard). He has some decent pricing on shave ready vintage razors as well.

Last edited:
Has the felt worked out well? I already have a couple of nice cordovan strops so I am not so concerned with the leather. However if the leather is good, then so much the better :001_smile

Just curious as to how the felt works in "everyday use" compared to actual canvas/linen that I have now.

Has the felt worked out well? I already have a couple of nice cordovan strops so I am not so concerned with the leather. However if the leather is good, then so much the better :001_smile

Just curious as to how the felt works in "everyday use" compared to actual canvas/linen that I have now.

The felt seems to be working quite well for me. I have probably used it about a half dozen times.

I don't think I have enough experience to really judge it's effectiveness against other types of "linen". My previous strop was a Illinois that has fairly heavy canvas on it.

I certainly prefer the feel of the felt over the heavy canvas, but I can't say if one is more effective than the other.

Just wanted to update this thread.... been using this strop for about a week now. I have to say, this has to be the biggest bargain in strops ever. Less than $25 shipped!

Long story short, it is an excellent performer!

I got the "Big Momma" version which is 28"x2.5" (I am hesitant to get wider ones as I'd think it is more prone to cupping, and I really don't like the feel of the wider ones either). Dee rings make it easy to hold, but I like strops without handles a bit better... a bit noisy with those rings :laugh: On the plus side, this strop is long enough to where you could cut them off and still have more length than most strops out there.

The top of the strop is held together with a single Chicago screw. Couple of points about that:

1: I like the single screw as it makes it easy to use either side of the wool felt (keep one side pasted). All you have to do is rotate the wool strop and pull it straight.

2: The disadvantage of a single screw is the other strop can move while you are stropping which will pull down one side of the strop so it is not flat while you are stropping. If you make sure the other strop is centered first, this is not a problem.

Don't strop with the wool like this... it pulls the edge of the leather strop down:

proxy.php

Make sure the wool strop is straight instead:

proxy.php

The leather has a nice surface. Draw is good, not too fast and not too much. With some sanding, the back side probably could be used as a pasted surface. The leather gets water spots easily if you get water on it; over time this could acquire a real nice patina.

Strop when new:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Backside. Some sanding and this could be a pasted side:

proxy.php

Strop after about a week of use. Left over lather has been applied. Starting to darken and acquiring a nice patina:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have to say I am falling in love with the wool felt a bit. My complaint with most modern strops is the "linen" component is little more than a cheap strip of nylon. Compared to the nice linen on vintage strops they are really sub-par. For me, this wool performs as well as those vintage strops. I pasted one side with TI No. 260 paste. It does raise the nap a bit which I shaved off with a razor blade. It would probably be better to use a spray to avoid this. Like I said earlier, the single fastener on top makes it easy to use either side of the wool.

I like this strop enough to where I think I am going to buy another one... just to modify it a bit. Use different fasteners, cut the Dee rings off and dye the leather to a nice color. If you are looking for a starter strop, look no further. This is a BARGAIN! If you are more seasoned, get it anyway! I don't think you will be disappointed with the performance. I'll update this thread when I get another one and modify it a bit :thumbup1:

Last edited:
How about some photos? I'd like to see the difference, if any, between what's shown on the bay and what the buyer receives. Photos on the bay aren't that great - almost can't tell the difference between the leather and the felt since even the leather looks white. Is the leather treated at all or is this up to the buyer?

It is veg tanned leather, natural color. Other than just running my hands over it, I did not treat it prior to the first stropping as it did not need it. I have since applied left over lather after a shave and it takes on a nice patina.

Photos forthcoming on Wednesday when I get back to work... forgot my camera there :001_smile.

The 3" strop looks like an excellent buy to me.

I agree, I think you'd be hard pressed to go to Tandy, or some other leather supplier, and buy all the materials for the price! Just might have to pick up one of these - you know just as a "spare". :lol:

Nope... they are not the exact same length (at least on mine) so it would interfere with keeping taut and could roll an edge. A little trim of the top of the wool component and a new hole would be required to even it out. Really isn't a problem though, it was the only thing I could pick on about. :001_smile.

This is the first strop I have with Dee rings or handles so I'm in the habit of only grabbing the component I'm stropping with anyway.

Nope... they are not the exact same length (at least on mine) so it would interfere with keeping taut and could roll an edge. A little trim of the top of the wool component and a new hole would be required to even it out. Really isn't a problem though, it was the only thing I could pick on about. :001_smile.

This is the first strop I have with Dee rings or handles so I'm in the habit of only grabbing the component I'm stropping with anyway.

That is a easy to fix..:thumbup1:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
By the way, I just got a badger brush and a shave ready GD from him and I am quite satisfied with both.

Wow. Talk about timing. I am new to this straight razor "game" and was searching ebay for a cheap strop and literally five minutes before finding this thread, I messaged the seller about 2 versions of their strop.

Thanks for the post, you answered any question I had about picking this one up!

Wow. Talk about timing. I am new to this straight razor "game" and was searching ebay for a cheap strop and literally five minutes before finding this thread, I messaged the seller about 2 versions of their strop.

Thanks for the post, you answered any question I had about picking this one up!

the same for me. I bought this last night crossing my fingers it wouldnt be a waste. great to hear!!

Top Bottom