What's new

Ebay Seller to Beware of!!

I saw some T & H 1805 cologne and Lavander Shave Cream I wanted to buy on ebay and I put a bid on it. I noticed a "similar" name upping both my bids so I did some research and found at least 5 sellers/buyers, upping bids on other items.

Here is a snippet of what I reported to ebay.

Item numbers:
7752972520, 9117290575, 9510352181, 9510351610

User ID's:
shortatwellington, harrisonsofleeds, designerhairsalon, designerhaircare, taylorofepworth (the original SELLER)

My question/concern:
I have noticed after doing some research that the above mentioned user id's have posted bids on each others items for sale but rarely win the product. I believe these are all the same bidder/seller, shilling the bid for an ultimately higher price.

I would have assumed that they are similar items they might be bidding on, but there is a cell phone, a dog carrier, cologne and shaving cream that they have all been bidding on. Plus, some of them have listed their feedback as "private" so people can not tell if they recieved feeback from "themselves."

I also noticed that the fonts, writing styles and other features of each sellers are also VERY similar. Plus, the names are also very similar, (taylorofeppworth, harrisonsofleeds and shortatwellington)and (designerhaircar and designerhairsalon). But I believe I am just scratching the surface.

AACJ said:
I saw some T & H 1805 cologne and Lavander Shave Cream I wanted to buy on ebay and I put a bid on it. I noticed a "similar" name upping both my bids so I did some research and found at least 5 sellers/buyers, upping bids on other items.

Here is a snippet of what I reported to ebay.

Item numbers:
7752972520, 9117290575, 9510352181, 9510351610

User ID's:
shortatwellington, harrisonsofleeds, designerhairsalon, designerhaircare, taylorofepworth (the original SELLER)

My question/concern:
I have noticed after doing some research that the above mentioned user id's have posted bids on each others items for sale but rarely win the product. I believe these are all the same bidder/seller, shilling the bid for an ultimately higher price.

I would have assumed that they are similar items they might be bidding on, but there is a cell phone, a dog carrier, cologne and shaving cream that they have all been bidding on. Plus, some of them have listed their feedback as "private" so people can not tell if they recieved feeback from "themselves."

I also noticed that the fonts, writing styles and other features of each sellers are also VERY similar. Plus, the names are also very similar, (taylorofeppworth, harrisonsofleeds and shortatwellington)and (designerhaircar and designerhairsalon). But I believe I am just scratching the surface.
Hokey smokes batman! You should forward this to the ebay czars. They (allege) to take umbrage with this kind of ungentlemanly behavior.
I do not believe I encountered this when I bought my blades, but there was a sudden uptick in activity when I tried to buy my blades. The seller was a real gentleman and as I was buying (Soooo) many, he reduced the shipping and I only ended up paying the elevated price.
Reminds me of Wierd Al Yankovitch' song I Bought It on ebay.

guenron said:
Hokey smokes batman! You should forward this to the ebay czars. They (allege) to take umbrage with this kind of ungentlemanly behavior.
I do not believe I encountered this when I bought my blades, but there was a sudden uptick in activity when I tried to buy my blades. The seller was a real gentleman and as I was buying (Soooo) many, he reduced the shipping and I only ended up paying the elevated price.
Reminds me of Wierd Al Yankovitch' song I Bought It on ebay.

Ron, I did report it to e-bay. If they hadn't upped my bid, I could possibley get a bottle of T & H 1805 cologne for next to nothing!! Except I posted the bid # here.....now I probably don't have a chance.

Maybe I should have done it after the bidding ended.

:thumbdown

I was going to buy some T&H cologne from this seller thanks for the head up!
Sherlock Holmes thats some good investigation there! i will be very aware now.
I wont sniper against you... :lol:

but this kind of buisness make me :c17:

I will be a :c12: and keep watching what happends.. Lucky I won a T&H cologne this week already not cheap dont expect these to go cheap to nothing thats just dreaming first you have the B&B members out there watching aswell

Lately ive been sniping with great succes developed a new technique for it

:quickdraw

SSLStudio.. said:
What a PLonker move this guy is making he is making a wrong bid on his own auction to check out peopl'e's max bid price...this shouldnt go unnoticed.

im going for the T&H trafalgar so I will leave your 1805 at peace.
but i wont bid crazy against the sellers own price if he wants the high bid he can have it in his own pocket too much ! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

http://offer.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=9510351742

And whats even more funny is that if he ACTUALLY put in a wrong bid of 99.99, it would be safe to assume his "corrected bid" would be 9.99. But then the dumb *** goes and bids, 1 minute and 6 seconds later under his "other screen name." Way to cover your tracks **** head!! :w00t:

Could someone else report this schister to ebay as well to let them know we are on to them? Specifically this instance and his failure to up the bid in the other screen name.

Thanks

Well, I won the 1805 cologne, ended up paying 44.66 US for it, including shipping. T & H and everyone else sells it for 65.00, so I saved 20 bucks. I didn't get sniped either, but I wonder if I complain to ebay, will they drop the price for me given the deception of the seller?

roughrider said:
I doubt it.

Well, I was just thinking that with all the bids, they (the onerous decivers) ran the excitement up on the bid, thus, as e-bay puts it:

"Shill Bidding is bidding that artificially increases an item’s price or apparent desirability, or bidding by individuals with a level of access to the seller’s item information not available to the general Community. Shill Bidding is prohibited on eBay."

There were realistically only 2 bidders on this item, me and 951Norbert (I do think he is an actual bidder) but it falsely shows 9 bids, from 3 other bidders, artificially showing a more desireable item. But, Norbert IS the next bidder down from me and I probably would have ultimately paid the same as I did today. But still, there were 2 bids after mine that brought the price artificially up, then Norbert joined in. If he had joined in when my original 5.00 bid was there (and no shill bids were there), maybe he would not have put down such a high bid, thus a lower price on the item.

I say a good argument, but still a good deal for me at the current price.

Hi there,

I too won two items the trafalgar and the Cream. actually I didnt win I was the second highest bidder I was sniping.

The seller was kind enough to offer me the items as Buy it now for my max bid which is quite nice.

I still dont like the actions of the other guys, if your hunch is correct then indeed they are bidding as to make the item more stand out. it didnt happen with the trafalgar and cream but then the Trafalgar is a balm not cologne.

The seller offers 25% discount on shipping of both items he hasnt got the 1805 Cream that one smells out of this world. he has Lavender or Almond which one would be better? I have never tried Lavender.

The D.R Harris Almond is one of my fav. creams.:thumbup1:

SSLStudio.. said:
Hi there,

I too won two items the trafalgar and the Cream. actually I didnt win I was the second highest bidder I was sniping.

The seller was kind enough to offer me the items as Buy it now for my max bid which is quite nice.

I still dont like the actions of the other guys, if your hunch is correct then indeed they are bidding as to make the item more stand out. it didnt happen with the trafalgar and cream but then the Trafalgar is a balm not cologne.

The seller offers 25% discount on shipping of both items he hasnt got the 1805 Cream that one smells out of this world. he has Lavender or Almond which one would be better? I have never tried Lavender.

The D.R Harris Almond is one of my fav. creams.:thumbup1:

I've never tried the Lavender as well, figured if I could get it cheap here, its worth a shot. Be glad you didn't buy it, you might not have gotten your product and been out of your money.

Today I received 2 emails.

The following is a notice from eBay Trust & Safety regarding:

Item Number - 9510351742
Item Title - BNIB TRUEFITT & HILL TRAFALGAR AFTERSHAVE BALM (100ml)

Our records show that you were a bidder on this item. We recently removed this listing and have suspended the seller's trading privileges. Due to privacy concerns we will not be able to share further details related to this seller.

If someone claiming to be the seller asks you to complete a transaction outside of eBay, we strongly recommend that you ignore the request. Transactions for items listed on eBay that are completed outside of the eBay marketplace are not covered by the Buyer Protection services offered by eBay and can be highly indicative of fraud.

If you have not sent payment to the seller, we urge you to not proceed with the transaction.

If you have already paid, you may wish to pursue recouping your funds. Some steps you might take include:

1. Ask the seller for a refund
2. If you paid by check, ask your bank to stop payment
3. If you paid by credit card, contact your credit card company's security department
4. If you have made a payment by money order or wire transfer, you may contact that company for further information at 1-800-325-6000 (Western Union), or at 1-800-926-9400 (Money Gram)
5. If you paid with PayPal, review the Buyer Complaint Process at:

You BEAT ME TO IT!!

WOO HOO!! They closed her account and two of the other ones associated with the shill bidding. PLUS, they said I am entitled to recoop some of the money lost in the shill bidding process by them.

Whether I get it is another story...But justice has been done, this one time.

SSLStudio.. said:
Today I received 2 emails.

The following is a notice from eBay Trust & Safety regarding:

Item Number - 9510351742
Item Title - BNIB TRUEFITT & HILL TRAFALGAR AFTERSHAVE BALM (100ml)

Our records show that you were a bidder on this item. We recently removed this listing and have suspended the seller's trading privileges. Due to privacy concerns we will not be able to share further details related to this seller.

If someone claiming to be the seller asks you to complete a transaction outside of eBay, we strongly recommend that you ignore the request. Transactions for items listed on eBay that are completed outside of the eBay marketplace are not covered by the Buyer Protection services offered by eBay and can be highly indicative of fraud.

If you have not sent payment to the seller, we urge you to not proceed with the transaction.

If you have already paid, you may wish to pursue recouping your funds. Some steps you might take include:

1. Ask the seller for a refund
2. If you paid by check, ask your bank to stop payment
3. If you paid by credit card, contact your credit card company's security department
4. If you have made a payment by money order or wire transfer, you may contact that company for further information at 1-800-325-6000 (Western Union), or at 1-800-926-9400 (Money Gram)
5. If you paid with PayPal, review the Buyer Complaint Process at:

FINAL UPDATE!!

The seller gave in to me and paypals request and refunded me 75% of my purchase from them. I just confirmed this thru paypal. So the good deal I got actually became better, I only paid 13.00 US for a bottle of 1805 Cologne.

I can't believe it!! A little fish finally got justice!!

Yes he got the T&H 1805 John,, something I cant say for myself. my T&H Crafton got stolen by who knows ? I received an empty package.

Top Bottom