What's new

eBay Razors Sold

Considering I just bought a NOS Super 109, I hope it's worth it, because if the Slim went for that much, the Super 109 should do the same, hopefully. Sadly, I won't be eBaying them soon.

Well, what's "worth" anything? These things have very little intrinsic value (metal, machine work, quantity of them produced divided by cost to produce each). Everything ontop of the intrinsic value is simply market value. And that will fluctuate depending on demand and scarcity.

Someone must have come to the conclusion that the really shinny slim in the case and with instructions was rare, and that they wanted it a bunch, so they felt comfortable purchasing it for that price.

As long as no one held a gun to his, i'm fine with people paying whatever they want for razors! :thumbup:

More profits for pinechairfella. Oh well, good for him.

The more I learn about vintage razor prices, the less I'm sure of. All I can say is that I personally would not have paid this much.

More than either of these razors, I would like to get a type D injector, but they always seem to go for over $100 on eBay. So until I can find one at my price, I'll do without.

Are they worth it? Not to me. Someone clearly thought so. I definitely won't be bidding in three-digit range for either of those models, NOS or otherwise. My user-grade ones work just as well as those super shiny ones. But then again, mine are for use, not display in a museum grade collection.

Ultimately things are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them.

The items from that particular seller do go for higher values than others do, pretty pictures and a good polish go along way on ebay. ;)

I find it interesting to look at the bid history. You can definitely see where the experienced bidders back off and the less experienced continue to bid.

Fatboy
proxy.php

Slim
proxy.php

Last edited:
The value of anything is in what it is worth to you.
I once paid $225.00 for an old fire hydrant. Was it worth it to me? You betcha! Would it have been worth that to most other folks? Not by a long shot.
Enjoy your razors.:001_smile

If that slim was truly NOS it would still be in the blister pack. I found a slim a few weeks ago in the same condition with warranty and instructions. Was it used? I would have to say yes as the packaging was missing.

This same seller has claimed to find all these Gillette razors in pristine condition. I just do not see it happening. I would say on the conservative side that I have found well over 200 razors. I have maybe and I stress maybe found 3 in this type of shape that the seller finds on what seem like a daily basis.

In the late 70s I worked for Sherwin Williams mixing paint in a commercial facility. All the dark reds similar to a redtip contained lead. In fact all safety colors contained lead. It had to due in part with the color retention of lead based paint and the ability to achieve a dark looking color. It would be interesting to check a legimate redtip and see if it contained lead. Most redtops have chips, this is normal for reds as they contained the highest amount of pigment.

If you ever notice this seller always has perfect red tips. I just don't see it as red was the most unstable of all colors. Over time paint degrades and unless all these razors were locked it a temperature and light controlled vault, they would be subjected to the same conditions that I have found razors in. I have never seen a home, antique store or thrift shop willing to go to the expense to do so.

I will give it to them for great photography skill and marketing. I just don't buy it that these razors have not been replated and in the case of red and blue tips repainted.

If that slim was truly NOS it would still be in the blister pack. I found a slim a few weeks ago in the same condition with warranty and instructions. Was it used? I would have to say yes as the packaging was missing.

This same seller has claimed to find all these Gillette razors in pristine condition. I just do not see it happening. I would say on the conservative side that I have found well over 200 razors. I have maybe and I stress maybe found 3 in this type of shape that the seller finds on what seem like a daily basis.

In the late 70s I worked for Sherwin Williams mixing paint in a commercial facility. All the dark reds similar to a redtip contained lead. In fact all safety colors contained lead. It had to due in part with the color retention of lead based paint and the ability to achieve a dark looking color. It would be interesting to check a legimate redtip and see if it contained lead. Most redtops have chips, this is normal for reds as they contained the highest amount of pigment.

If you ever notice this seller always has perfect red tips. I just don't see it as red was the most unstable of all colors. Over time paint degrades and unless all these razors were locked it a temperature and light controlled vault, they would be subjected to the same conditions that I have found razors in. I have never seen a home, antique store or thrift shop willing to go to the expense to do so.

I will give it to them for great photography skill and marketing. I just don't buy it that these razors have not been replated and in the case of red and blue tips repainted.

There has been several discussions regarding this seller and same topic. Does he or doesn't he re-plate. But I have a red tip not bought from this seller and the tip is perfect. Seen in this mornings shave. I am very suspicious of this seller and will "never" buy anything from him. Obviously he is very skilled because he has sold many razors with zero complaints.

Ultimately things are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them.

The items from that particular seller do go for higher values than others do, pretty pictures and a good polish go along way on ebay. ;)

+10 No truer statement could be said.

The value of anything is in what it is worth to you.
I once paid $225.00 for an old fire hydrant. Was it worth it to me? You betcha! Would it have been worth that to most other folks? Not by a long shot.
Enjoy your razors.:001_smile

+10

ebayer cedarman do sell nice things, they do alota cosigning. and the cosignees someties dont diclose proper or true descrptions..they replate and then sell as mint or they recondion alota razors. such as buying a $5 fatboy, then replating for $20 bucks and selling fatboy for 200 bucks as original mint. they do accept reutrns and they do reimburse return fees

+10
Nothing wrong with selling on consignment, but you can only go with the information furnished to them. They personally do not re-plate and if they did, they would disclose that.
I have bought several items from this seller and I will pay more for a good looking clean razor than I would a beat up one. My money my call.
I can not understand why so many petty people are jealous over another's success.
Sometimes it's better to learn forgiveness instead of so much hate.
The past is the past. You can not go forward if you keep looking back.

Wishing the best of luck
proxy.php
to all B&B members, wetshavers and their vendors,

JB

:blink: I can't believe those prices. I bought my 66 slim for 20$ probably could have gotten it for less if I had haggled. I wonder if they plan to shave with them?
Was it anyone here?

@ BIT32... im not protesting, but if i pay almost 400 bucks for something and when i get it its not as described i do object, i have nothing against cosigment its cool with me if that helps your sells, but if i get something and the info is incorrect then i do object. its ok replate heck atleast im getting a clean razor,but real collectors would object(i;m not collector), heck i just sold alota replated razors and i do state that before the sale. the point we are making is that these finds are not authentic or geniune and some are reconditioned. its just an open observation not a jeolousy or any other anomosity thing. i still buy from cedarman, he husband/wife sellers are a great ebayer team. they lead by example and are an asset to ebay,they refund all fees plus ship fees, not alota ebayers do that without ebay intervening. cedarman is not a swindlwer or bad seller or they wouldnt refund at all. but most of their stuff is not authentic and is reconditioned. alot of collectors are aware of that and can atest to that, not that there is anything wrong with that. cedarman is great ebay seller, im personally endorsing this:thumbup1::thumbup:

It's Bit2 first of all and second I agreed with you hence the +10. Get it +10?
I was just explaining the situation myself. I actually only gave a
proxy.php
or my version of +10 to those I AGREED with.

I was just pointing out that those that DO complain hold old grudges.

Sorry for the confusion, I thought I was clear in agreeing with you.
There are others that complain and snipe (ad naseum) on this thread and others, about my favorite vendor .
I agree, I am happy with their sales to me and congrats to them and anyone who can keep the market up for the DE,SE,Straight Edge razor niche.

Be happy,
JB

Oh the PAIN!!!!!

Even if you are just 16 years old and wet shaving for the first time, raise your hand if you haven't heard "It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it".

To the original OP. I have to say no. I was actually bidding at the begining on one but quit when it entered the stupid range. One things for sure, another razor will be out there soon.

As for the seller, I have made one purchase from them and was very pleased. I only got it because they made a mistake and placed two nearly identical razors back to back within about 10 miutes of each other. Everyone quit bidding on the first one knowing they had a second chance on one right behind it. Within seconds on me sniping the first one, the price of the second one went through the roof. It's hard to buy from this dealer because their pricing goed so high. Yes, I still wonder myself, what's the deal with this seller and his razors. To good to be true? Hmm I don't know how to tell if something is replated or maybe I can but don't realize it. I'll have to work on that.

Finally, my concern and why I think they were not worth the value. I gauge my value on "If I don't like this razor, whether the way it shaves or later I find one in better condition to bump it out of the den, could I get my money back on BST." I try to use BST as my gauge as we have many dedicated wet shavers here with knowledge and experience. I am starting to see though we also have some with severe ADs that render this gauge useless. But I figure, if I can put it out on BST and sell it that day with no price lowering, I'm at the right price. On top of that, I don't want to post it on BST thinking well, some newbie will pay this high amount becasue they won't know better. Why put it on BST rather than the bay, because we're all horders! Lets keep them in the community! :thumbup1:

My question to those who purchased them. Do you thing you'll ever get your money back on these. I would say unlikely. Does this drive up the cost of wet shaving with vintage razors. Yep. We're shooting ourselves in the foot.

Just my 2 cents. Now my morning coffee is ready.

This also proves the old adage the some folks have more dollars than sense ("cents"... get it?).

I have nothing against either the buyers or sellers of these items. This is a perfect example of market driven capitalism. My only regret is that my father didn't buy a pallet-load of Gillette Fatboys in the early 1960s and store them in the attic for me to find as a hedge against inflation!

;-)

This is my last comment. The seller in question is educated enough in razors to describe them correctly and it is his responsibility to list them as such.

When you list a razor as NOS it should meet this definition as listed in the B+B guidelines: New Old Stock (NOS): Razor in original new condition and includes the outer cardboard shipper (if applicable to the model), metal/plastic/Bakelite case, blade pack and instruction sheet. New Old Stock (NOS) status does not necessarily coincide with any specific category.

We are not talking a few dollars here but a significant dollar amount that over time has added up to quite a sum of money. It is not a case of jealousy, but buying something as advertised.

To me this is a case of mis-listing an item and gaining from buyers that are not versed in purchasing items.

The worth of anything is simply what the market will bear. Personally, I got a fatboy and a slim together on ebay for less than 20 bucks, including shipping. They weren't as pretty, didn't have cases, but shave perfectly well. These razors are beauts. If you have the coin, I say go for it.

On the "it's worth what people will pay for it" comments, that's generally true, but a bit misleading.

The more experienced people here will have an idea of what the going rate should be for certain types of razors. I'm getting there with the kinds of razors that interest me most, but have no idea on others.

Sometimes, though, you will get an inexperienced buyer who will pay several times the "going rate". If he later loses interest, and decides to let it go on B/S/T for, say, 75% of what he paid, he may be shocked to find that people only want to pay him 25%.

So it is worthwhile information to say that something on eBay was not worth what the buyer paid. It may not be an absolute truth, but if you know what an experienced collector would pay for a given item, you're less likely to pay more than you need to.

Top Bottom