What's new

Ebay Rant

What prevents someone from sniping at the end of the bonus period? Does the auction keep extending as long as there is a bid? eBay isn't going to change just to accommodate a small minority of buyers that can't figure out the system. In contrast to some posts, I believe that their current auction system actually increases the final bid price of popular items.

Yes, in one example, GunBroker.com runs what is called a 15 minute rule. It is intended to replace the "Going, going, gone" you'd hear with a conventional live auction. If a bid is placed within the last 15 minutes of the scheduled close of auction, the auction is automatically extended for 15 minutes. This continues until there is no bid activity within 15 minutes, and the auction then closes.

No, eBay is not going to switch to a system like this any time soon IMHO. I suspect the current system actually generates higher prices with "bid frenzies". That translates to more $ for eBay too.

BTW, why is this in the General Shaving Discussion area?
:wink2:

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
But their "highest bid" is offered *purposely* so late in the auction that bona-fide buyers do not have opportunity to counter-bid.

That's not true. Almost every bid is a counter bid irrespective of the time that it's placed. The buyer who "lost the opportunity to counter bid" could have bid more when he placed his bid.

Example: I place a maximum bid of $50 on the first day of sale. Lets say I have the first bid accepted, and it's for $10. It doesn't matter if anyone else bids that day or the last possible second- the only way they get the item is to exceed my maximum bid. If they snipe for $40, they lose (to my $41). If they bid $60 at any time, they win (for $51). Should I be mad at the person who bid more than my $50? Why? That was the maximum I wanted to bid. It's entirely fair. If I wanted to bid more than my original max of $50, I could have done so when I made my original bid.

Let's say I upped my bid to $70. Do I win the auction? That depends solely on what the sniper's max was, and the same rules apply as before. Some people seem to be under the impression that if they only had a chance to bid another fifty cents, they'd win. Not true.

No offense taken. I do know what the term "noob" means and take no offense to it normally. Its the context that it was used in referring to people who are more casual in their bidding habits than hard core bidders. Someone who uses Ebay as competitive game just has to realize that not all people on the bay really care that much about the whole experience.

Ray
I wasn't calling anyone here a n00b, I was refering to those people that : "ebay noob instead bids $14, then $15, then $16, then $17, then 18 then $20 all in the space of 2 min a day before the auction ends trying to beat the current high bidder"
I wasn't refering to the people that just place a bid and leave it there. I was refering to the people that take ebay bidding very seriously and keep bidding , probing away at the current high bidder until they are always the high bidder, and want to win at all costs.

Can't you see that your reply here admits that sniping causes items to be sold for less than they would otherwise. That means thet the sniping system has stolen that much from the seller.
anything that causes the item to sell for less then it would under an open auction is stealing from the seller.

This doesn't make a lot of sense. The time-based nature of eBay's auction setup will cause items to be sold for less than at an open auction.

If the early high bed is $40, and a sniper squad bids at $45, $50, $48 and $60 in the last 30 seconds, netting the seller a higher price than the earlier high bidder, how exactly are the snipers "stealing?" ¿:confused:?

I wasn't calling anyone here a n00b, I was refering to those people that : "ebay noob instead bids $14, then $15, then $16, then $17, then 18 then $20 all in the space of 2 min a day before the auction ends trying to beat the current high bidder"
I wasn't refering to the people that just place a bid and leave it there. I was refering to the people that take ebay bidding very seriously and keep bidding , probing away at the current high bidder until they are always the high bidder, and want to win at all costs.

Thanks for clearing that up. This thread got a little out of hand and I didn't make it any better. Apologies to all.

Peace, Ray

Top Bottom