What's new

Ebay ? Please help

I won a shaving mug on ebay for 18.00 GBP + 4.00 GBP for shipping and handling. Although the item didn't have any reserve on it, the seller had added a note saying that the item would be withdrawn from the auction if he felt that it did not reach a reasonable price.
Seeing as I had won the item for the above amount, I thought nothing more of this and made the payment via Paypal for 22.00 GBP. Now I have received an email from the seller saying that they would rather have 20.00 GBP plus shipping for the item.
So now he has my money with no intention of sending the item. Obviously I have asked for a refund, but I was just curious if anyone else had experienced anything like this? I certainly intend to complain, obviously if a bid represents a contract between buyer and seller then the merchant is bound by the terms as much as me, but seeing as he already has my money I am somewhat unsure as to what I should do next. Any advice?

If you can't resolve it with him personally, I'd certainly contact ebay about it. He easily could have set a reserve, but probably didn't because it ads extra fees.

Email Ebay. He should have set a reserve. He didn't end it early. Ebay would have a fit if you don't get the item. Check his feedback and see if there is anything similar there.

Gatorade said:
Email Ebay. He should have set a reserve. He didn't end it early. Ebay would have a fit if you don't get the item. Check his feedback and see if there is anything similar there.

Thanks for the prompt replies. This seller only had 14 feedbacks, but they were all positive so I didn't see a problem there. Also, with regards to contacting ebay, I don't know how it works in the US, but here in England newspaper articles about people having been ripped off by sellers and not getting any satisfaction from ebay appear on an almost daily basis, another reason that I am worried by this turn of events. I also agree with LetterK, he obviously didn't set a reserve due to extra fees, and I don't think that someone like that is going to willingly return my money, irrespective of whether or not I get the item I paid for.

AJS said:
Thanks for the prompt replies. This seller only had 14 feedbacks, but they were all positive so I didn't see a problem there. Also, with regards to contacting ebay, I don't know how it works in the US, but here in England newspaper articles about people having been ripped off by sellers and not getting any satisfaction from ebay appear on an almost daily basis, another reason that I am worried by this turn of events. I also agree with LetterK, he obviously didn't set a reserve due to extra fees, and I don't think that someone like that is going to willingly return my money, irrespective of whether or not I get the item I paid for.

Art was able to get money back and still got the product he won when he confronted ebay with a shill bidder for an auction of Truefitt & Hill cologne.

I believe if you point out to ebay about the seller trying to dodge fees they will be very receptive. Same thing with over inflated shipping fees. Buy an item for $.99 but $20 shipping when actual postage was $1.50 and you are using the shipping fees as a way to make money without paying the ebay fees. When ebay thinks someone is trying to cut them out of their share they are pretty quick.

In the USA, if he accepted your money with no intention of providing the item bid on, it would be theft and could be pursued through the U.S. Postal Inspectors Office. I assume that the seller was also from the UK as you?

I would also certainly pursue the matter thought Ebay, they have a moral if not legal liabillity in this matter as well.

Bud

Alex, you can also dispute the charge with Paypal. The seller then has 30 days to respond or you win by default. Credit card rules as they are you are 99% likely to win the dispute no matter what the seller does.
Cheers,
Jeff

Don't even waste your time contacting EBAY. They'll do jack-s**t about it. I buy and sell a lot on Ebay and I've had problems with dodgy ebayers before, but ebay can't do anything about them. They supposedly have all these "policies" to give you the impression that everything is safe and you're always covered, but by the time you actually find the complaint form, fill out the right one, get a response from an actual person as opposed to an automated response, it will be christmas time.

Considering this seller only has 14 feedbacks, it means the threat of a negative feedback from you isn't really going to bother him. I would just pay the idiot the extra 2 quid and get your mug and be done with it. Better that, than him not refunding you and taking your money and running.:mad3:

kasabian said:
Don't even waste your time contacting EBAY. They'll do jack-s**t about it. I buy and sell a lot on Ebay and I've had problems with dodgy ebayers before, but ebay can't do anything about them. They supposedly have all these "policies" to give you the impression that everything is safe and you're always covered, but by the time you actually find the complaint form, fill out the right one, get a response from an actual person as opposed to an automated response, it will be christmas time.

Considering this seller only has 14 feedbacks, it means the threat of a negative feedback from you isn't really going to bother him. I would just pay the idiot the extra 2 quid and get your mug and be done with it. Better that, than him not refunding you and taking your money and running.:mad3:

I appreciate the advice. Whilst 2.00 GBP is an inconsequential amount, this situation is one of those annoying times when it has become about "the principle of the thing." Also, as I stated in my original post, I have asked for a refund but the seller remains ominously silent.

While the suggestion to just pay the extra 2 quid is the easisest one and the one that will most likey get you the mug, I have a hard time accepting it when someone is trying to screw me.

I would bring the matter up with PayPal and my credit card issuer to dispute the payment. If nothing else, this will likely get your money back with little hassle.

I would also save a copy of the e-bay listing for evidential purposes, as well as any correspondence with the vendor.

I know that when I sell something, I would always "rather have" more - unfortunatly, that's not how it works. A deal is a deal and he's offside.

I've never had an issue with an e-bay vendor, but I do carefully look at feedback before dealing with someone and leaving a negative feedback would at least protect the vendor from doing the same thing to others (at least until he/she changed IDs).

Just my two cents - hope you get your money back or the mug at the agreed upon price. Good luck.

I would address this matter with PayPal as well. You should be covered for up to £500.00. Please supply us the name of the ebay seller (crook) in order for us not to deal with him. None of us wants to do business with this kind of seller.

regards
Stephen

Alex
I am with you its about the principle!
I would rather loose the entire amount than roll over for this SOB.
You paid him= the ball is in his court now. give him a week or so and then submit a item not received claim in Paypal.. good luck!

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Contact Paypal. Even though eBay may likely do nothing Paypal will refund your money and/or go after the seller. With Paypal all you have to do is explain the seller is requesting more than the auction stated and DID NOT DELIVER THE ITEM.....this is the key part. They will then require that the seller prove both shipment AND delivery. If he can't they will find in you favor.
Been there, done that and won.

You need to go through the eBay Dispute Console, follow the instructions and it will send you right through Paypal.

Tony

Thanks for the advice everyone. As was previously stated the ball is now in the seller's court. I like to think of myself as a reasonable man, and therefore I will give the individual in question a week to resolve the problem, then I will hunt him down (figuratively, not literally.) Obviously I will post his name here, so you can all avoid the merchant in question and after that I will tell my story to anyone who will listen.
I certainly hope for an amicable resolution, but the seller was quick enough to ask for more money (after he had received payment) yet now my emails go unanswered.

You could tell him that you'd rather have 2 of the item in question for the price he quoted and see what he says.:tongue:

Alex,

Speaking as an ex-cop from the UK (I'm now living Stateside) I can inform you that this individual has committed a theft.
The actual definition of theft under UK Law is:

"Dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it", Theft Act 1968 Section 1(1).

I'd definitely recommend contacting both eBay and Paypal and bringing this to their attention.

woodbane said:
Alex,

Speaking as an ex-cop from the UK (I'm now living Stateside) I can inform you that this individual has committed a theft.
The actual definition of theft under UK Law is:

"Dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it", Theft Act 1968 Section 1(1).

I'd definitely recommend contacting both eBay and Paypal and bringing this to their attention.

I appreciate the advice very much. If you don't mind me asking when did you work as a police officer in the UK? If it was a while ago I should imagine that things have changed a great deal since you were here last. I remember reading about a case where a woman who was being attacked by an ex boyfriend phoned the police only to be told that they had other priorities and could not help her, needless to say she ended up being murdered. You may think this an extreme example, but things like this happen all the time here now. The legal system, and the way it is enforced,, seems to favour the criminals to the detriment of their victims. I am sure there are still dedicated police officers who are a credit to the force, but their hands are tied.
Also, there is nothing I would like more than to have the police knock on this "gentlemans" door (preferably with big dogs and an armed response team:biggrin: ) but the police will not get involved in disputes originating from ebay transactions. Reporting the incident to Paypal seems like the best option for me now, and that is the route I intend to follow.
Once again, thankyou all for the advice.

In a perfect world, you'd be able to report these people to ebay/paypal/police and the problem would be resolved. Call me a cynic, but paypal won't be able to help with this. The paypal I know anyway. Although you might get lucky.

A couple of years ago I sold a rare Radiohead t-shirt on ebay. The buyer was a guy from China. He won the auction and immediately paid by paypal. It was £25 or so. I thought "great", this guy's a good ebayer. So I swiftly packed the t-shirt up, took it to the post office and sent it by airmail to China. A couple days later I noticed some money had been deducted from my paypal account. The guy who bought the t-shirt had somehow hacked into the paypal system and paid the £25 back into his account. I was so angry. How the hell can paypal claim to be the safest form of internet payment when kids from China are able to hack into paypal accounts and steal money???

I immediately notified Paypal. I emailed them about 15 times, getting passed on from department to department, with no joy. Evenutally someone got back to me and told me they couldn't do anything because I didn't have their "protection plan". The nerve of these people!!:mad:

So my motto is, don't get mad get even. If this guy isn't willing to co-operate; make another ebay account and bid on all his items with ridiculously high bids. Then when he sends you the statements, tell him to go and take a running jump. You might not get your money back, but trust me you will feel a great deal better. :)

Hi Alex,

I was a Police Officer from 1996 - 2003 with Essex Police Force. So, not too long ago and the incident you describe with the boyfriend attacking the girlfriend would certainly have fallen under the Harrassment Act that was passed while I was a serving officer.

The Theft Act hasn't changed since 1968 as the statute says. I can well imagine the police not wanting to get involved with eBay transactions, it can be an absolute bloody nightmare as there seems to be a huge grey area concerning internet transactions and the law.

Nevertheless, tihs guys actions are dishonest and you should have legitimate complaint with eBay. Ultimately he did not set a reserve price and has to provide the item at the price it sold for. His note on the auction isn't worth the webspace it takes up as it states the item will be withdrawn if he doesn't feel it reaches a high enough price. He let the item finish without withdrawing it so he's contractually bound to sell it to you for the price you paid.

Also, and I'm amazed no one else has picked up on this either: his note on that auction is in clear violation of eBay policy regarding ending auctions early. I refer you to this. Scroll down to the bottom where it states clearly....and I quote:

"Note: Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be reserve fee circumvention. Although there are legitimate reasons for ending a listing early, abuse of this option will be investigated."

I would have thought if you contact eBay stating this seller is violating eBay policies they would be quick in taking action to resolve this case.

kasabian, while I have no clue as to the details of your "hacking" problem, I do know eBay is VERY concerned about collecting their money. If a guy is trying to avoid paying the reserve fee, I'm sure eBay would be quick to take a look at this. I would have contacted them at the very first sign of fraud.

Top Bottom