What's new

eBay on Steroids

A Senator for $175.00, WOW!!!

I never had any shot at the really rare ones all along but, if this trend continues I will never be able to afford any more nice older razors at all. I am glad I picked up some decent but less scarce Gillettes before they got completely out of my ability to purchase. I do have a few that are semi-coveted but still readily available. I have no luck getting razors in the wild in my area as well. To many people looking and no supply. I always hear, "I just got one in but it went out right away."

The online auctions sites are pretty much my only option. But I can't compete with people that have that much disposable income that are willing to drive the prices up. I know I am sounding like a cry baby but I understand how the free market works and "God Bless Capitalism." I guess I just got my RAD a little bit to late.

Last edited:
A Senator for $175.00, WOW!!!

I never had any shot at the really rare ones all along but, if this trend continues I will never be able to afford any more nice older razors at all. I am glad I picked up some decent but less scarce Gillettes before they got completely out of my ability to purchase. I do have a few that are semi-coveted but still readily available. I have no luck getting razors in the wild in my area as well. To many people looking and no supply. I always hear, "I just got one in but it went out right away."

The online auctions sites are pretty much my only option. But I can't compete with people that have that much disposable income that are willing to drive the prices up. I know I am sounding like a cry baby but I understand how the free market works and "God Bless Capitalism." I guess I just got my RAD a little bit to late.

That seems rather extreme. Can you post the link?
I still think that patience can lead you to some decent deals.

Its only because your looking. I find when I stop looking the razors come find me. Also what you search for on the bay makes a big difference. Try searching for what a person uneducated in razors would list it as. Also you need to know well what it is your looking for and looking at. There is definitely an art to internet searches, whether it be the bay or google or anything, in order to get it to turn up just what your looking for.

$175, and it didn't come with a case?

Here's my theory:
There's one or two new deep pocketed collectors filling their display shelves ASAP, expense be damned. I expect the next few Senators on ebay will receive less impressive bids. All you have to do is figure out what's next on their shopping lists to cash in.

You have all the time in the world to find the razors you want.

Last edited:
Couple of months ago I woke up from a nap looked on ebay and a Senator and a gold tech together were in the last few minutes waited for it to go up I think the top bid was like $24, got it for $27.50.... my buddy in England had been looking for awhile for one... got him a nice cheap one..just gotta luck up on it man.

Here's my theory:
There's one or two new deep pocketed collectors filling their display shelves ASAP, expense be damned. I expect the next few Senators on ebay will receive less impressive bids. All you have to do is figure out what's next on their shopping lists to cash in.

That would be my guess as well, with some impulsion added to the mix.

Unfortunately ebay in the UK is a much smaller pool, and even the badly listed razors tend to get spotted by people who are willing to pay what look to me like silly prices. Some seem to think that anything made by Gillette and more than 30 years old is an incredibly rare antique.

I really really wish bidding histories were public still....

proxy.php
proxy.php
Member Id: t***w
proxy.php
( 135
proxy.php
)
US $171.51Dec-21-13 06:47:35 PST
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
Member Id: e***a
proxy.php
( 745
proxy.php
)
US $169.01Dec-21-13 18:42:24 PST
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
Member Id: 5***0
proxy.php
( 20
proxy.php
)
US $100.00Dec-21-13 12:17:02 PST
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
Member Id: a***i
proxy.php
( 159
proxy.php
)
US $82.80Dec-20-13 12:05:58 PST
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
( 20
proxy.php
)
US $80.00Dec-18-13 13:54:28 PST
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
( 159
proxy.php
)
US $70.80Dec-17-13 18:49:16 PST
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
( 20
proxy.php
)
US $60.00Dec-17-13 10:11:45 PST
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
( 159
proxy.php
)
US $58.80Dec-17-13 18:48:57 PST
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
Member Id: d***i
proxy.php
( 252
proxy.php
)
US $26.00Dec-17-13 18:07:42 PST
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
Member Id: o***a
proxy.php
( 288
proxy.php
)
US $20.00Dec-17-13 07:32:48 PST
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
Member Id: t***t
proxy.php
( 177
proxy.php
)
US $9.00Dec-17-13 07:36:46 PST
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
Member Id: r***n
proxy.php
( 662
proxy.php
)
US $0.99Dec-16-13 20:34:13 PST
proxy.php
proxy.php
Starting PriceUS $0.99Dec-16-13 18:42:27 PST

Every time I see one of CFMs listings, I think impulse buying and new to wet shaving. The pictures are great and the descriptions are long and flowery. Just the type of thing would cause someone to buy that is not a member of this or another wet shaving forum. You could post a WTB in the BST and I would imagine you could get a very similar razor for considerably less. You might have to be patient, but it would be worth the wait.

The thing that bugs me the most is the NOS blade thing. It just seems to imply that the razor you are getting was used so little that it had some of the original blades left with it. If people want to purchase one of their razors, then by all means do so, I just can't see paying double or triple what a razor is worth.

Top Bottom