What's new

Ebay is Becoming a Joke ?

Saw this on Ebay and couldn't believe my eyes. a $700.00 Single Ring because it is Double Stamped?

Sellers Description

"1919 Gillette Standard Double Stamped and D in G"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-Gillet...801?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aca6b6151

Its a bad shape, Teeth Bent Etc.

Is this for real or a Joke ?

The double strike "Gillette" Logo and "MADE IN U.S.A." could appeal to someone like a 1955 double strike penny...I suppose ?
Heck, if a Corn Flake can auction for $1,350.00 anything goes...

"Ebay Cornflake Sold For $1350
It's now official: the Illinois-shaped cornflake auctioned off by two sisters from Virginia has ended, with the winner buying the cornflake for $1,350 dollars."

Last edited:
The amount of straight-up misinformation in that seller's listings is just depressing. I don't even know where to start...

View attachment 374292
I contacted Rick and told him that he had the wrong info and he wrote back that he talked to a Gillette historian worker to verify the G in D info. He also stood by the Krumholtz resource. I told him that the Krumholtz had errors [ then i quoted the error you pointed out on page 243 where Krumholtz calls the Regent tech a Comb guard razor instead of safety bar ] ............Rick still decided to stand by the resources and did not change the description.

The double strike "Gillette" Logo and "MADE IN U.S.A." could appeal to someone like a 1955 double strike penny...I suppose ?

Yeah, but there are only 4 of the pennies, and they're documented. Certainly an unusual manufacturing defect is "valuable" to a collector, but that valuable?

God bless him if he can get it. I would never stand in the way of someone making a buck. And if a buyer wants it, then bully for them. I don't see any fraud. Just some priorities that are way different than mine.

I my self gave up in ebay ages ago getting fleeced and lying ungrateful ppl . the evilbay strikes again . cant beat face to face deals

I contacted Rick and told him that he had the wrong info and he wrote back that he talked to a Gillette historian worker to verify the G in D info. He also stood by the Krumholtz resource. I told him that the Krumholtz had errors [ then i quoted the error you pointed out on page 243 where Krumholtz calls the Regent tech a Comb guard razor instead of safety bar ] ............Rick still decided to stand by the resources and did not change the description.

His only reference to Krumholz here is that he says the G-in-D mark is "scarce." In and of itself that very likely was Krumholz's experience with the mark at the time he was writing his book. But that was before eBay in particular and the Internet in general took what had been small pockets of people seeing more or less just what was in their immediate geographical area and turned them into a single global community. Even ignoring the meaning of the mark for a moment, the simple volume of them showing up on eBay is enough to tell us that at best the D-in-G is "uncommon" and certainly not "scarce," regardless of what Krumholz says.

We've already established well enough that the D-in-G mark was not a mark that Gillette put on defective razors, so I won't belabor that point here. But I will point out that this is the same guy that was telling people that the ball-end Old Type handles were hollow and had removable ends so that you could store your styptic pencil inside them, and just recently sold this broken Old Type Aristocrat case as a "Pioneer Olympic Special" case (which was a standard set case covered in white leather), so do forgive me if I don't take his word on historical matters as being worth all that much.

His only reference to Krumholz here is that he says the G-in-D mark is "scarce." In and of itself that very likely was Krumholz's experience with the mark at the time he was writing his book. But that was before eBay in particular and the Internet in general took what had been small pockets of people seeing more or less just what was in their immediate geographical area and turned them into a single global community. Even ignoring the meaning of the mark for a moment, the simple volume of them showing up on eBay is enough to tell us that at best the D-in-G is "uncommon" and certainly not "scarce," regardless of what Krumholz says.

We've already established well enough that the D-in-G mark was not a mark that Gillette put on defective razors, so I won't belabor that point here. But I will point out that this is the same guy that was telling people that the ball-end Old Type handles were hollow and had removable ends so that you could store your styptic pencil inside them, and just recently sold this broken Old Type Aristocrat case as a "Pioneer Olympic Special" case (which was a standard set case covered in white leather), so do forgive me if I don't take his word on historical matters as being worth all that much.
I emailed him again and asked him who was this Gillette historian worker so i could also get facts and info off him. It seems that he was annoyed and wrote that he met him four years ago and he couldnt get a hold of him. He thanked me and did not mention much. I guess he just wanted to sell his razors knowingly using incorrect and outdated descriptions for the sake of profits and not integrity and true loyalty to Traditional Wet shaving history.

The arrogance of some of the eBay sellers is outstanding. I once questioned a seller on how he knew that a uncased Gillette Superspeed was a 1948 one? He stated that he had been selling them for years and he just knew. Then blocked me from buying from him because I questioned him.

Oh, man...that is rich: "I just know". lol

Three little words that prove that someone has absolutely no freaking clue what they are talking about.

That kind of reminds me of those Holiday Inn Express commercials from a few years ago.

"Are you a doctor?"..."No, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night".

Top Bottom