What's new

ebay find – 1973 Travel Tech for $5.25 all in

I travel regularly for work and was looking for an inexpensive DE I can easily pack or leave at the client site on weekends. For several weeks I’ve carried my Merkur HD 34C back and forth, and TSA seems increasingly interested in it – I’m concerned they might drop it and cause some damage during the twice weekly inspections. I never carry blades, choosing to mail ahead, purchase locally, or order online and ship directly to the hotel.

I recently won a NOS T4 (1973) Travel Tech for $3.25 plus $2 S+H on ebay that arrived today – it had both the paper blade insert and plastic ring holding the two top pieces together. Just to be safe, I soaked it in hot water, cleaned it with scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush, steam cleaned it, and rinsed all the pieces in rubbing alcohol. I plan to try it out tomorrow morning.

As many of you are probably aware, the handle is very light on this razor. If I want to use a heavier handle, how interchangeable is this razor with other Gillette DE razors? Do I need to stick to a particular range of years or models?

Thanks!

I travel regularly for work and was looking for an inexpensive DE I can easily pack or leave at the client site on weekends. For several weeks I’ve carried my Merkur HD 34C back and forth, and TSA seems increasingly interested in it – I’m concerned they might drop it and cause some damage during the twice weekly inspections. I never carry blades, choosing to mail ahead, purchase locally, or order online and ship directly to the hotel.

I recently won a NOS T4 (1973) Travel Tech for $3.25 plus $2 S+H on ebay that arrived today – it had both the paper blade insert and plastic ring holding the two top pieces together. Just to be safe, I soaked it in hot water, cleaned it with scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush, steam cleaned it, and rinsed all the pieces in rubbing alcohol. I plan to try it out tomorrow morning.

As many of you are probably aware, the handle is very light on this razor. If I want to use a heavier handle, how interchangeable is this razor with other Gillette DE razors? Do I need to stick to a particular range of years or models?

Thanks!

Do you have the aluminum handle or the chrome handle?

That travel Tech sounds nice.

You could get a heavier handle from CooncatBob, or the threading should be the same as other Gillette three-piece razors. So you could add weight with an older ball-end handle, or a fat Tech handle, or whatever might catch your fancy.

I think you have more experience with TSA than I do, but I have had good luck traveling with completely disassembled three-piece razors.

I was getting a ton of TSA interest in my razors, too, until I went to a tech. I take it apart and nobody has looked twice at it since. Lately I have been checking bags, and they haven't opened my suitcase yet, even with two or three razors (blade experiments and stuff) in it.

*Edit: Nice find, BTW. And yes, you can swap the handle out to a handle from a different tech. I have a 1932 fat handle tech from Canada, and I took that handle to use on a different head...I like the larger handle on a milder razor.

Last edited:
The TSA and other inspection agencies have been more "interested" in my bag contents too. It's getting to the point that flying is too much of a hassle. If it wasn't for work, I wouldn't be flying at all. Anyway, I try to make it as painless as possible by giving them minimal things to fuss over.

I designed the "Thimble-Tech" to avoid DE transportation problems and reach the ultimate in travel razor miniturization (combined with a sewing repair kit):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Even has a plug in magnet for pesky blade and needle retrieval!!:lol::lol::lol:

Do you have the aluminum handle or the chrome handle?

I have the aluminum handle. Do you know if specific handles were sold in specific years? BTW, it came in what I think is the original vinyl snap case in good condition (other than being a little dirty - it cleaned right up with warm water and dish soap), which was inside a plastic box labeled "Celebrity Razor Kit".

I designed the "Thimble-Tech" to avoid DE transportation problems and reach the ultimate in travel razor miniturization (combined with a sewing repair kit):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Even has a plug in magnet for pesky blade and needle retrieval!!:lol::lol::lol:

Do you find it difficult to maintain proper blade angle? :lol:

Top Bottom