What's new

Ebay and the growth of DE razors

I remember more than 10 yers go, before I took up DE shaving, I was looking on e-bay for something vintage to put on display in my new cabinet. There it was a Gillette old, in its engraved metal case and blade bank in good condition. I bought it for 5 or 6 euros I think. When some time later I got disgusted with the carts, I gave it a try and it was a revelation. It got me started and there I am now, owning almost everything out there, save for the Gillette toggle. My onle regret is, I didn't buy a secong Gibbs, but I'm having Frugal Shave make me a travel box and a replacement shank to be on the safe side.

For me, the problem with eBay is the shipping costs (Europe). Sometimes the shipping, and import taxes if really unlucky, will both double AND triple the price.
But then again, I would not have any way of browsing for vintage shavers if not for eBay..

BTW I have only been browsing, and have not bought a vintage YET..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 to all said in this post. Ebay is my main source of vintages as none are to be found here in the wild.

I go for very good condition specimens because of the high shipping/customs costs (in order to reduce risk of getting nonfunctional/broken razors) and I don’t think the prices are too crazy - paying 50 or even 100+ USD for a like-new 60-70 year old razor is not expensive IMO when you consider the craftsmanship.

The BST of course have even better prices.

I went to a couple local antique stores and a couple thrift stores; there were no razors at all in them. I might find a few if I went across the river to Louisville and spent a lot of time going to antique shops, but these folks make their business selling antiques, and know the value of them. If they can get more on eBay for a razor than by waiting for someone to walk in the door, I suspect that's what they'll do. You might find some deals at garage and estate sales, but you'll spend a lot of time and gas, and you'll come up empty a lot more often than not.

A few years ago, the market was entirely different -- DE shaving hadn't gone mainstream; that's what has driven up the prices. I've still gotten some good deals on eBay, and some good deals here on the BST forum. On eBay, I look for auctions that end at times when many people are doing other things -- Friday nights when people may be out partying, Sunday mornings when many people are attending church, and I place "vulture bids" seconds before the auction ends. You'll win some, lose others, and give up on some when the price exceeds what it's worth to you. Pick your targets because you'll spend too much if you get caught up in the spirit of the chase. Even so, there's risk -- you may get a razor with condition problems that don't show in the pictures. I look for offerings from sellers with high positive feedback to mitigate that risk, but it's still there.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Most of my razors have come from ebay lately. Most antique/second hand stores in my area have either sold out or do not keep razors. I like some have been caught up in the auction madness and paid too much for a razor and on the other hand I have been very lucky to pick up some bargains. In my opinion we are driving prices up on certain types and models of razors but so be it. That it the nature of buying and selling. Prices vary and some things that are worth lots of money at the moment maybe worth less in years to come. Now in Australia the Federal Government have bought in a Goods and Services Tax on goods from overseas that cost under $1000.00. So now every purchase that I make on ebay from overseas will cost me another 10% on top of the purchase price. I will now have to think more before I dive into another auction and work out do I really need another of this or another of that. I will have to rethink my RAD, do I still want as many razors as I can get or will I save up and try to get something a little rarer which is just that much dearer than what I would usually spend.

If I see an auction that is for one of the more rare razor and I already have one, I don't run up the price just because I can. Others should have an opportunity at a reasonable cost.

It has changed a lot in 10 years; back then most vintage razors were cheaper than new ones (there was not much apart from Merkur, Mühle (back then rebranded Fatip's), Fatip and Edwin Jagger (back then; Merkur heads on their own handles).
And of course, almost forgot, the Feather popular.

Now it is more the other way around as you have lots of choice in sub $10,- (Chinese) razors while some ask more than double for a beaten and abused Gillette Tech.

But every now and then you still can make a great deal on the bay.

I don't recall buying any razors on eBay US.

Now eBay UK, France, and Germany, YES. It is about the only way to find razors that had a small importation number into the US.

It allows for a much more efficient market. The bargains tend to be those listed incorrectly or incompletely, at least in my experience.

I'm typically not looking for bargains as much as I am trying to find what I want at a fair price. If I'm in the market for a pristine British #15, and I find what I want, I'll pay the market price.

The best 'deals' seem to be the combined lots, but you have to be careful on the junk ratio.

Top Bottom