What's new

Ebay account hijacked ?

Perhaps someone can help me out here, I got the strangest email this morning from ebay it said thanks for requested a change for your email adress for your ebay account ?
if this wasnt you then please ask family members if they changed something without your aproval or if this wasnt you try to see if you can still log into your ebay account?

The Request came from

IP-adres: 172.165.69.16
Hostcomputer van Internet Service Provider: srwlb03-map08.smf.ebay.com

----
So I log into my account I think hmmm looks all normal untill I check my ebay inbox mails.. I see lots of requests or answers there from other ebayer's with questions that I never asked these sellers so how did those end up in my box now.

When I looked at the contact details of my account indeed the email adress was changed to [email protected]

i have received similar emails from ebay and paypal. Usually I go directly to the site and not use the link provided. I have called on several of these and they are just phishing for your info.

Unless you have changed your email or password recently, I would consider it a scam. You could call as I have in the past and they will request you to forward it it to them.

Mark tssb

Dude, that does not sound good. You should probably change your ebay password and then contact them about it.

mark the shoeshine boy said:
i have received similar emails from ebay and paypal. Usually I go directly to the site and not use the link provided. I have called on several of these and they are just phishing for your info.

Unless you have changed your email or password recently, I would consider it a scam. You could call as I have in the past and they will request you to forward it it to them.

Mark tssb

Not this time Mark, genuine ebay email with a genuine request and my email was changed for real ! this worries me quite a bit now I know about Hijacked accounts happends alot for example in China you can buy a Yamaha synthesizer for $200 yeah right or the latest Macintosh G5. those are very hot items.

I did look for a new Mac G5 and saw some auctions and then I emailed the guy outside of ebay to ask for the Buy it now price..I am dead sure one of them was a hacker just fishing for info and new ebay accounts ? also me getting strange messages in my inbox is very weird. for example you requested how much the T&H cream is for shipping and I end up with the answer of that seller in my box ! that happened now to me...

Stay away and probably can ignore the e-mail. Credit card fraud e-mail are another trick. Just make sure that you watch your credit card activity and don't respond to the e-mail via any link.

MJB

MJB said:
Stay away and probably can ignore the e-mail. Credit card fraud e-mail are another trick. Just make sure that you watch your credit card activity and don't respond to the e-mail via any link.

MJB

thanks thats a good one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im changing my password aswell as brother Kyle mentioned .

mark the shoeshine boy said:
can you call ebay about it and ask them why ?

mark tssb

As I recall it there is no number to call ? for the Netherlands they used to be easy now it seems I need a bushman to find where they hang out these days !

Kyle is right, change your password and contact email. Then go here "http://pages.ebay.ca/education/index.html#"
and click "chat with customer support live" on the right hand side. They should be able to help you out.

Oh almost forgot change your contact email first then change password as eBay might email the password change to that other guys email.

Cheers.

As a seller on Ebay I get daily phishing e-mails. As a rule if you get an e-mail that says its from e-bay- close the browser and log onto e-bay- go to my e-bay and check your messages- if the e-mail is not in my messages its a fake.
You can forward these fake e-mails to [email protected] or [email protected].

These crooks will check my closed auctions and use info like the final price or where I am located in the e-mail to try to make it seem plausible. This seems to happen more frequently after a high value sale. Forget about calling e-bay,although you can get someone on the phone at Paypal if you need them. So when you get an e-mail that just does not make sense don't open up any links,check my ebay and forward to spoof@ ...

Jim

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND TIPS

I had a chat with the online security agent from Canada , took some time till I got thru but hey im not paying phone clicks.

Explained the situation, he then called me and asked if I would change my password of my email account, I was a bit thick till I understood he meant my own regular ISP's email account he wast so clear in his expressions.

Anyways I asked later in the chat why I needed to change it, He said because even if you changed now your ebay account's password if they are hacked into your regular email account they can send a change password/forgot password request and then tap into your account, so I think my regular email could have been hacked it could be and this all happened behind my back..

it feels good to contact ebay thru a chat every country should be represented like that..interesting it works.though only Canada has a call center?

ps

It now makes sense why on those pages they are asking people not to bid on the items but contact them directly thru the yahoo email ID they have displayed on the page to ask about the buy it now price ! Lesson learned do not do things outside the ask seller ! network on ebay itself..if someone displays a buy it now question it should only go thru contact seller then.

you are all warned...

This is the stuff that nightmares are made of! You were definately hijacked. If this person was answering emails also it was in hopes of getting the money for orders. So your account info may have also been changed.

I would also get hold of google with this persons email adress and report them to authorities there. Make sure that your paypal account (especially if it used the same password) is updated and report to them.

I have chills thinking of this. I get all the spam ones too that are phishing, but nothing like this has ever happened to me and my heart goes out to you...! Whether or not they hacked your computer, or hacked into ebay doesn't really matter, someone has information about you that you don't want them to have.

Sue, who is ready for some booze after reading this....:w00t:

Mama Bear said:
This is the stuff that nightmares are made of! You were definately hijacked. If this person was answering emails also it was in hopes of getting the money for orders. So your account info may have also been changed.

I would also get hold of google with this persons email adress and report them to authorities there. Make sure that your paypal account (especially if it used the same password) is updated and report to them.

I have chills thinking of this. I get all the spam ones too that are phishing, but nothing like this has ever happened to me and my heart goes out to you...! Whether or not they hacked your computer, or hacked into ebay doesn't really matter, someone has information about you that you don't want them to have.

Sue, who is ready for some booze after reading this....:w00t:

Hi Sue ,

thanks for your support, yes this doesnt make it easier for me to start my own ebay shop which was to be opened next week, I have an order from Derby's comming in and was going to sell them thru ebay. offcourse for B&B id directly do business here I can thrust the people here and vice versa.

Ive been on ebay since 1997 and never ever had anything happen and then something like this happends and I have never sold anything thru ebay either its just this shaving is all so much fun I had to do my contribution in spreading the world with this addictive evil read wetshaving you are doing that by contributing your end with shaving creams and what more.. to come. I'll be focusing on getting in different razorblades. yes be very carefull ! as in fishing emails I smell them from miles comming so they dont have a chance I know how DNS works and can see right thru all the BS .... it was just foolish to think you can get a new macintosh for a cheap price or any synthesizer or digital camera be warned! that is how these big mafioso's work ! and they are mostly based from the countries like Czech republic , Hungrary, Rumania , Bulgary because the best IT hackers live there. I wont be selling stuff under my usual ebay name Ill open a different sellers account which only is going to be used for selling not buying. I'll keep buying under my other name.

The more I think about this, the more I shiver.. you are right, they always say not to work outside of ebay and I guess this is why, but holy moley!

What still scares me the most is that I used to use the same passwords for ebay AND paypal...if they had gotten into my ebay account they would have gotten into my paypal account also... I changed this about a year ago when I opened the store.

I get dozens of emails from people all the time about nothing. I never knew why, but I guess now I realize they are looking for the return path! Who would have figured that there were so many nasty people out there!!

Big Hugs!

Sue

PayPal is a favorite target for fraudsters. Something in general to keep in mind: While you do need a checking account to open a PayPal account you don't ever need to use it to pay. If somebody gets ahold of your credit card number you are never responsible for fraudulent purchases. This is the case for every Visa, MC, Amex and Discover card. The private label cards are probably the same but I don't know for sure. Many issuers, Citibank being the best about this, will immediately credit your account for the full amount of any disputed charge. All will do so in a relatively short time. BTW, the extra "identity theft" features they sell you protect them, not you, for this very reason. You can also dispute a charge if a seller does not send you the item or it arrives in a condition other than advertised. The rules for credit card transactions overwhelmingly protect the buyer.

Debit card fraud is much more damaging. Disputed charges are not credited to you until, if ever, the bank recovers the funds. Always use a credit card for online purchases.
Cheers,
Jeff

Top Bottom