What's new

Eau de Space!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well. You might say this was made for me!

proxy.php

The truth is, virtually all astronauts who have gone outside their vehicles - or on the surface of the moon - have reported that space does indeed have a smell.

Not surprisingly, they report a gunpowder smell, a burned smell, the smell of suns cooking radioactive isotopes. A charcoaly smell. The smell even sticks to your spacesuit - so I have read.

Notes of "mix of gunpowder, seared steak, raspberries, and rum."

To me, that is the smell of the universe; I must have it - eventually.

It's a NASA/Kickstarter thing; more here.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Ad Astra

The Instigator
All right. Finally have a bottle of this inbound.

Astronauts remarked on it then, and continue to do so 50 years later. Must be something to it.

Vacuum, and the blast furnaces that are suns. Of course space smells... Like the fires of creation.

This ought to be interesting.

I see where PAA has something called First Night on Earth, which explores a similar theme. Don't have any PAA stuff 🧐 yet.

AA

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Very cool
The site lead me to the moon watch reissue site and the video with interviews with James Lovell etc. soo cool!
I’m not sure the cologne is for me but that watch ! Oh man.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Very cool
The site lead me to the moon watch reissue site and the video with interviews with James Lovell etc. soo cool!
I’m not sure the cologne is for me but that watch ! Oh man.

There's one affordable moon watch:

The Lunar Pilot. It's the most accurate watch I own, better than digital.

AA

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Very interesting read about the accidental moon watch. I wonder what came of his lawsuit. It’s odd that the current version and the retro re issue seem to be quartz movements. The original worn on the moon was a wind. Seiko has claim to space history as well.

the first automatic chronograph in space was the more humble and less publicized Seiko 6139-6005, named after US astronaut Colonel William Pogue, who wore his on the 1973 Skylab 4 mission-despite not obtaining NASA authorization–to time shuttle engine burns due to his familiarity with the watch and trust in its capabilities…trusting the lives of himself and fellow astronauts to the reliability of his Seiko. When asked about his 6139, Pogue confirmed the story and sold his in a 2008 charity auction for the-then-unheard of sum of $6k

Sorry to derail your thread. But I had the opportunity (and thrill) to meet astronaut Leroy chiao and confirmed that he wore a Rolex gmt master II (his daily watch)
I think but I’m not sure that he has the record for time up on the ISS.

I did not however confirm his cologne!

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Very interesting read about the accidental moon watch. I wonder what came of his lawsuit. It’s odd that the current version and the retro re issue seem to be quartz movements. The original worn on the moon was a wind. Seiko has claim to space history as well.

the first automatic chronograph in space was the more humble and less publicized Seiko 6139-6005, named after US astronaut Colonel William Pogue, who wore his on the 1973 Skylab 4 mission-despite not obtaining NASA authorization–to time shuttle engine burns due to his familiarity with the watch and trust in its capabilities…trusting the lives of himself and fellow astronauts to the reliability of his Seiko. When asked about his 6139, Pogue confirmed the story and sold his in a 2008 charity auction for the-then-unheard of sum of $6k

Sorry to derail your thread. But I had the opportunity (and thrill) to meet astronaut Leroy chiao and confirmed that he wore a Rolex gmt master II (his daily watch)
I think but I’m not sure that he has the record for time up on the ISS.

I did not however confirm his cologne!

Rolex GMT Master also went to the moon... 🤔 But didn't land.

Apollo 13.

(irons out thread veer)

I went ahead an ordered the PAA set, First Night on Earth, because, you know, I needed more shave soap. 🙄

Raspberry, rum, gunpowder, ash and the elements of creation itself sound good to me!

AA

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Please describe that pass when you get it. I just signed on the monthly sabbatical and I’m already with a itchy trigger finger.

Jack Swigert's Pepsi. 🤠
Dr Chaio had a coke.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
PAA First Night on Earth (FNE) arrived, along with the SIR Irisch Moos (IM) and Seaforth! Spiced (S!S) clones.

FNE at first sniff is a fairly linear raspberry smell, check. Something else too. And the AS is strong indeed; good!

I'll see what other notes lurk (in the darkness of space) when I shave it.

I have *always* wanted to try the highly-regarded IM. This clone smells great! Looking forward to trying it.

And the S!S is also interesting; a WWII soap brought to life. This and IM are the pricier CK-6, I think.

Never tried a PAA product; the packaging's amusing. They certainly have their fans!

Oh, the Kickstarter cologne arrives tomorrow.

Eating macaroni the rest of the month to pay for this silliness.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Moon mystery. Eau de Space arrives...

Ok, snagged a bottle of this off the bay - at a savings. Seller had three. It's easy to imagine not wanting this and turning to the bay. Anyways.

Perfectly sealed box. Mirror hologram serial sticker.

But I notice this bottle is just slightly different, square, as opposed to slight rectangle-square.

Unless there are production variants - easily possible with a hinky Kickstarter product - I'm suspect that it's a fake.

🤔 But who on earth would bother to fake a low end goof cologne?

I'll put up pix later. It's also / more likely that all the online pix are pre-production, perhaps.... Hmmm. Yes. Not seeing any "user" bottle pix.

How's it smell? 🧐 Funky! Indescribable. Weird electronical vibe... 🤔 Maybe where something short circuited...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
OK, I checked Reddit.

Various complaints! 🤣 But at least mine appears real.

Broken bottles, lost/never sent, lots of hurt feelings 😯 and nobody likes the smell! 🤣 "Unwearable," "fried circuit board," etc.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Longevity appears to be incredible, unfortunately.

The bitter almond note comes out after the burned circuit board. Ash. 😯 Memories of Apollo 1! Not good! 🤯

It *might* be wearable, in trace amounts, layered with other things. With the PAA raspberry thing, might actually be realistic.

Definitely. 😕 Nobody buy this.

Science teacher/classroom, maybe, but I'm pretty sure they don't teach that any more.

The universe reeks. 😟

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Projection of this space-crash is off the scale!

Sprayed a squirt into the trash can, just getting the atomizer going. 🤔 Wife, downstairs, with a poor sense of smell, says, "do you smell something?"

"You mean, like an electrical fire?," I ask brightly. "Maybe like a rocket exploded on Pad 39A?"

Yeah. That was just Eau de Space. Had to throw that trash bag out, and spray a good cologne in there to deodorize.

AA

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Oh boy this went sideways fast. Only thing that this seems like it’s missing is a hint of fire extinguisher 😜

Gives real meaning to “hey you are smokin”

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Oh boy this went sideways fast. Only thing that this seems like it’s missing is a hint of fire extinguisher 😜

Gives real meaning to “hey you are smokin”

😕 It was a great idea that, sadly, fell to Earth.

Eau de Space could be used for pranks, maybe. Like Liquid Fart, only instead of faking a bathroom mishap, it'd be an electrical fire - actually an even worse idea.

AA

Top Bottom