What's new

Easy Tequila cocktails?

Every hot season I try and every time I fail. I just can’t trink it neat.
So what are some straight forward mixers/cocktails to kill off this bad boy? Keyword is easy.
65DE5BE4-7439-43E0-BA80-D6810EADCFB3.jpeg

Simple, hm. The below is delightful to me, and very much worth the effort.

2 parts Tequila
1 part Cointreau
1/2 part Margarita Mix (any will do)
1/2 part Fresh Lime Juice (no concentrate)

Combine and shake the above vigorously and strain into a salted Margarita glass. If you like some ice, let a little spill into the glass when pouring. This recipe is smooth without getting syrupy or too strong, I fine tuned it myself 😎

Simple, hm. The below is delightful to me, and very much worth the effort.

2 parts Tequila
1 part Cointreau
1/2 part Margarita Mix (any will do)
1/2 part Fresh Lime Juice (no concentrate)

Combine and shake the above vigorously and strain into a salted Margarita glass. If you like some ice, let a little spill into the glass when pouring. This recipe is smooth without getting syrupy or too strong, I fine tuned it myself 😎
I have everything at home aside from the Margarita mix - will look it up.
Thanks

shavefan

I’m not a fan
A great memory I have is having drinks at a beachside bar, somewhere south of Rosarito. The simple margaritas consisted of three ingredients. A pour of tequila, a pour of triple sec, and a sliced lime squeezed right there on the bar top. Maybe it was the beautiful afternoon, my beautiful companion, or the combination, but those where probably the best margaritas I ever had.

Commercial margarita mix ranges all over the quality map. A good homemade margarita mix is one part triple sec, one part fresh squeezed lemon juice, two parts fresh squeezed lime juice. Mix 2:1 with tequila.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The “classic” margarita recipe I’ve always used is 1.5oz Tequila, 1oz of orange Liqueur (I use Cointreau) and 1/2oz of fresh lime juice. Adjust ingredient amounts as you see fit. Mixes ,in my opinion, add sweetness to counter the acidity of the lime and the burn of the tequila. If you need a sweeter Margarita I would use 1/2oz of simple syrup or agave nectar/syrup if you can find it rather than a mix.
2oz of Blanco Tequila and 1oz of a coffee Liqueur is also surprisingly good.

The “classic” margarita recipe I’ve always used is 1.5oz Tequila, 1oz of orange Liqueur (I use Cointreau) and 1/2oz of fresh lime juice. Adjust ingredient amounts as you see fit. Mixes ,in my opinion, add sweetness to counter the acidity of the lime and the burn of the tequila. If you need a sweeter Margarita I would use 1/2oz of simple syrup or agave nectar/syrup if you can find it rather than a mix.
This is the correct IMHO recipe for a Margarita. Forget the mix, it will only ruin the experience.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Excellent

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Just wanted to add that there are some good Margarita mixes out there. Usually they’re in smaller glass bottles. The 2 litre plastic bottles of mix are usually sugar, citrus flavoring, and preservatives.
If you’re making a lot of margaritas for a party a store bought mix or a homemade mix is the way to go.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
GRENADINE? Better make sure its small batch and contains no artificial preservatives. LOL

That looks delightful, I just might make one later!
Make my own, 2 Cups sugar, 1 cup water, 1 cup pomegranate juice (extracting the juice from 1 or 2 pomegranates should be enough)

Small batch enough for ya

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
GRENADINE? Better make sure its small batch and contains no artificial preservatives. LOL

D650878F-483E-43C2-ADD1-1D9D7A17BE07.jpeg

Straight form a Rose’s Grenadine label. I use Rose’s just like I sometimes use Margarita Mix. My point was that the mixes/Grenadine provide sweetness. Most Margarita mixes have water listed as 1st ingredient with High Fructose Corn Syrup listed 2nd. I’m too lazy to make my own Grenadine so it’s Rose’s for me. I do make my own simple syrup.

Top Bottom