What's new

Easy "No Churn" Ice Cream

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I had to put "no churn" in quotes because it isn't strictly true. You use a blender. A food processor might also work, but the article clearly states that you shouldn't use a stand mixer, as that incorporates too much air. Still, no special machinery is required, nor is much time at all. It produces a very rich and dense but also smooth and creamy and scoopable ice cream. Very yummy!

This is not at all a healthy recipe, either--LOTS of sugar, and even a good dose of corn syrup, but it's fine for a treat. :clap: Here are the base recipe (vanilla) and the dark chocolate variation (which is what we made). The other variations (birthday cake, banana-walnut-chocolate chunk, milk chocolate, peach cobbler, salted caramel & coconut, mint-cookie, key lime, strawberry buttermilk, peanut butter cup, and malted milk chocolate) are in the August/September 2019 issue of Cook's Country.

Vanilla "No Churn" Ice Cream (and Dark Chocolate variation)

2 cups heavy cream, chilled
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp table salt (we used a heaping 1/4 tsp of Morton's kosher salt)

- Process heavy cream in a blender until you get soft peaks (probably about 20-30 seconds). Scrape down the sides and process to get stiff peaks (about another 10 seconds). Stir in the remaining ingredients and process until everything is thoroughly incorporated. (The recipe states to use a rubber spatula to stir in the ingredients, but I haven't the slightest idea what makes a rubber spatula so special.)

- Dump everything into a loaf pan, smooth out the top, press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the mixture, and freeze for at least 6 hours.

- For the Dark Chocolate variation: Reduce the vanilla extract to 1 tsp. Add 6 oz. of melted bittersweet chocolate and 1/2 tsp of instant espresso powder (all with the condensed milk mixture).

That's it. Freezing for 6 hours resulted in firm but scoopable ice cream. After another day in the freezer, the ice cream was too hard to scoop initially, but it softened up quite nicely after only 5-10 minutes.

We all enjoyed it, but we all also found it rather sweet, so much so that it seemed to get in the way of the chocolate. When we do this again, I'll probably cut the sugar to 1 tbsp and see how that works. I'm also thinking about all sorts of other variations.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I suspect that the corn syrup and condensed milk are important for the texture. It'll be easy to start with reducing the extra sugar, and I don't need to worry about affecting the texture.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
This is something that I would like to try! Thanks for posting.

Sure thing. They included a bunch of other flavors, and some of them sounded terrific. I also was playing around with an orange-ginger and an orange-ginger-fennel variation, but those never got off the drawing board.

I have an old community cookbook from Hawaii. You know the spiral bound cookbooks made by churches or ladies in an office. Anyway, there’s a recipe for a homemade ice cream using a can of orange soda and sweetened condensed milk. I’ve always wanted to make it but haven’t yet.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@Buster That sounds pretty good, and it makes more than a little sense when thinking about the ingredients of your typical orange soda and that of the recipe.

Top Bottom