What's new

Easter Europe fle markets

Hello everybody.

Next week I'm on my holidays in Budapest, beautiful Hungarian city. There is a very famous and big flea market there where you can gat almost anything.
Just wandering if any of you ever been in such a place in Eastern Europe? I'm not sure if the only razors I could possibly find are vintage razors from communist era? I will have my eye open for Gillette and I see the chance of getting them from WW1 and WW2. I hope to find Gillette tto razor especially adjustable one, but have some doubts if any of it went through the 'iron curtain'.
I'm sure there will be vast amount of razors from communist times.
Has any brilliant safety razor ever been made in this countries? Is there any 'eastern gem'?

First, HAVE FUN! There are indeed many interesting Eastern European razors that you may find. Who knows, you may also find a nice Gillette TTO!

First, HAVE FUN! There are indeed many interesting Eastern European razors that you may find. Who knows, you may also find a nice Gillette TTO!

Thank you BigJ. First few days I will spend in Hungarian country side - good friends wedding. Then few days in Budapest.

The only good razor from communist era I know is Polish made Wizamet adjustable W10 and W11. They can be brilliant but can be a crap too. The quality control was not the best. This is why buying these razors from eBay is not the best option. I will be on hunt for W10. Just wondering if I overlooked any other good one.

Thank you BigJ. First few days I will spend in Hungarian country side - good friends wedding. Then few days in Budapest.

The only good razor from communist era I know is Polish made Wizamet adjustable W10 and W11. They can be brilliant but can be a crap too. The quality control was not the best. This is why buying these razors from eBay is not the best option. I will be on hunt for W10. Just wondering if I overlooked any other good one.

I have both Wizamet's, they are both very good adjustable razors. The W10 (all metal one) is my favorite. It's like a Gillette Slim on steroids. The W11 with the metal cap on end of plastic handle is a fine shaver too.

Some other fine Eastern European razors are the Volga, Kazan TTO's. They are Rocket and Aristocrat clones. I also have both. Then are both very high quality and incredibly good shavers.

There is a "Consul" adjustable they are also a very good adjustable razor. A lot of NOS Around on this razor.

"Brillant" razor, made by Erfa also is a quality Eastern European razor. Think it was made at the old Walther firearms plant. They made a cool adjustable razor that resembled a Wilkinson Sticky crossed with a Krona.

Good hunting !

Cheers
John

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I have both Wizamet's, they are both very good adjustable razors. The W10 (all metal one) is my favorite. It's like a Gillette Slim on steroids. The W11 with the metal cap on end of plastic handle is a fine shaver too.

Some other fine Eastern European razors are the Volga, Kazan TTO's. They are Rocket and Aristocrat clones. I also have both. Then are both very high quality and incredibly good shavers.

There is a "Consul" adjustable they are also a very good adjustable razor. A lot of NOS Around on this razor.

"Brillant" razor, made by Erfa also is a quality Eastern European razor. Think it was made at the old Walther firearms plant. They made a cool adjustable razor that resembled a Wilkinson Sticky crossed with a Krona.

Good hunting !

Cheers
John
I was thinking of you about this and here you are!

R

romsitsa

Thanks Juan :)

The magic of flea markets is that you can find anything, maybe not exactly what you were looking for, but something nice for sure.
Most big manufacturers were present here till the end of ww2 and some vendors sell stuff found in other countries, so you can stumble upon many different razors.
Majority will be Slim twists, Astra 501, 901, Soluna and Single ring clones, but one of my Executives or ABC sets also came from the flea market.
The strange part is that higher quality eastern block razors, like Rubin or Consul are as hard to find as Gillettes from the same era. Maybe these were produced in limited numbers.
There are four markets right now in Budapest, I'll pm you details, if you wish.

Most important, enjoy your stay here.

Adam

@Bamber
@adamchur is a big fan of Wizamets so he might have some advice.
I know nothing at anything razor but my son goes to school in Budapest and I had to go there recently.
My advice is pick up as many tubes of Figaro, Barbon, and Adam's Aloe Vera as you can carry. Quality and very inexpensive.
I bought a tube of each and 6 each 5 packs of Lords and other blades for a total of $7.75...
Barbon, the most expensive cream, was 429 Forint or $1.58.

Keep your valuables close, and be on the lookout for pickpockets/scams/thieves/gypsies. Best advice I can give. (My mother in law came here from Budapest. I've heard stories.)

Thank you guys for ton of good advise. I'm going to bring a blade to the market. Checking even exposure and stuff. 'Weirdo' they will say.

You could find almost everything on Eastern European fle markets. As for razors, from Gillette, Rotbart to Leresche or even Kirby. If you want something Russian, better buy old SLR:001_smile

So I spend wonderful time in Hungary. No luck in hunt for a razor on flea market though. I got Barbon and Figaro cream and aftershave and Fabulon aftershave. Classic Hungarian stuff.

Top Bottom