What's new

East Texas Meeting

To all wetshavers in East Texas, I was thinking it would be a lot of fun to do a semi-regular meeting. There are actually quite a few of us in the area from Atlanta down to Lumberton and over to Snook/North Zulch. I've spoken to a several members to see if there was any interest in this, and I got 100% positive response. There was just the matter of figuring out the when and where. I'd love to here some thoughts from everyone in the area. Eventually, I would imagine that we'll be moving the discussion over to the ArkLaTex SG, but it's not exactly a swarm of activity there :biggrin:, so I wanted to start out here first.

Thoughts?

Ok, I'm like Jim in the fact that I can't plan worth a darn, so I went to the most awesomest plan maker in the whole wide world, and this is what my wife said:

If you have two regular meetings a year, one should be the first weekend in November. It's before Thanksgiving and after Halloween so no interference there, and by that time, it's much cooler in East Texas than Sept/Oct.

The second meeting should be somewhere in April. Other than Easter, it's usually a quieter time of the year that more people should be able to make, and much like November, it's not too hot... yet.

As far as where, two meeting places means you can split the difference a little on travel distance. One can be on "this" side of East Texas, and the other meeting can be closer to the "other" side.

For our side, Jefferson would be the ideal location. Not only does it have some great places to eat and hang out for an hour or two, it is the THE antique capitol of Northeast Texas and has more stores with razors than any other one location near it.

As far as the other location, that should be up to the "other" half of East Texas to come up with.

Ok, that's what she said, more or less. And I whole-heartily agree (as I often do). :001_rolle

-Prof

Tyler could potentially be a good candidate for a mostly centralized East Texas round-up, close enough that DFW'ers wouldn't have to drive all day to join in, the biggest inconvenience would be for the most far-enders, like Lumberton, but just about anywhere "central" would be far for them anyway....this is, of course, the Great Republic of Texas we're talkin' about here :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Tyler could potentially be a good candidate for a mostly centralized East Texas round-up, close enough that DFW'ers wouldn't have to drive all day to join in, the biggest inconvenience would be for the most far-enders, like Lumberton, but just about anywhere "central" would be far for them anyway....this is, of course, the Great Republic of Texas we're talkin' about here :biggrin1:

Tyler was my first thought as well. If some gents from southern Arkansas or Louisiana want to come, maybe going as far north as Jefferson would work... it's about 2:15 drive for me to Jefferson, and I'm pretty centrally located in East Texas. I know Mark is about 45 minutes west of me, that may be too much of a drive for him... But you guys know me, I'll drive all the way up to Texarkana for a meet-up :biggrin:

I'll drive all the way up to Texarkana for a meet-up :biggrin:

Just be careful, you know they never caught that masked killer up there. :biggrin:

proxy.php

I'll be moving back to Dallas at the end of this year and would love to come and meet some of you fellow gent's.

Just be careful, you know they never caught that masked killer up there. :biggrin:

proxy.php

just looked that up, never heard of it that I can recall.
Being >30 minutes from Texarkana, I'm kinda surprised.
The Fouke monster and Bigfoot take the headlines a bit more I think.

Now I'm going to have to try and find that movie...

It's been years since I've heard anyone mention the killer. Heck, in a few more years, whoever he was will be dead of old age. Like Elvis and Tupac... :tongue_sm

It's been years since I've heard anyone mention the killer. Heck, in a few more years, whoever he was will be dead of old age. Like Elvis and Tupac... :tongue_sm

Elvis isn't dead; I saw him a coupla weeks ago in Vegas ('course he was much shorter in person. thinner too, come to think of it.)

Tyler was my first thought as well. If some gents from southern Arkansas or Louisiana want to come, maybe going as far north as Jefferson would work... it's about 2:15 drive for me to Jefferson, and I'm pretty centrally located in East Texas. I know Mark is about 45 minutes west of me, that may be too much of a drive for him... But you guys know me, I'll drive all the way up to Texarkana for a meet-up :biggrin:

And it was very worth it.

As for going to Jefferson -- I think if I told my wife I was going to the antique capital of East Texas to meet up with my shaving friends, she'd think I was having an affair!

But I can convince her otherwise. Count me in, for now, barring wifely intervention. :smile:

And it was very worth it.

As for going to Jefferson -- I think if I told my wife I was going to the antique capital of East Texas to meet up with my shaving friends, she'd think I was having an affair!

But I can convince her otherwise. Count me in, for now, barring wifely intervention. :smile:

Tell her you're there to catch the Killer. :biggrin:

Tyler could potentially be a good candidate for a mostly centralized East Texas round-up,

well that would be down right convenient as i live in tyler. few antique places here but never seen a straight nor DE in the ones i have been to. despite what taprater may have you believe about his dallas talk i am pretty sure he will be in tyler pretty often (or we will hurt him).
:wink2:

This sounds like fun. I'll be moving to Houston from Lumberton in a week. Someone PM me when something important comes up. Hopefully, I we can agree on somewhere within 1-3 hrs of houston, so that I can leave after and be home that night. I wouldn't mind driving someone from houston or riding with someone either.

I'm pretty new, but this sounds like a way to som efolks and maybe pick up a thing or two. Let me know and I'll try to make it too!

Top Bottom