What's new

Easily Obtainable "Major Brand" Hot Sauces

I'm starting this topic solely to spread the love for a hot sauce that I discovered last week, and to share recommendations on other easy-to-obtain hot sauces. Here are two of my favorites, including my new discovery:

Cholula Sweet Habanero (my new obsession - I'm not usually a sweet hot sauce guy but this is good enough to drink)
El Yucateco Black Label Reserve (probably my absolute favorite store brand hot sauce, smoky with actual heat)

Okay, your turn!

Bufalo Chilpotle used to be common here in Portland, OR. Does anyone still see it?

On the sriracha front, my son has a newfound HealthyBoy obsession. There are several varieties filling my refrigerator shelves right now.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Bufalo Chilpotle used to be common here in Portland, OR. Does anyone still see it?

I haven't seen it in a while, and I loved that stuff. I need to check around some other stores.

Valentina Black Label is a staple around here. So is Tabasco.

I still like Huy Fong's chile garlic sauce, but I'm starting to fall out of love with their Sriracha since they changed their jalapeno source. It's not bad, but it's not the same, so I'm happy to look around.

I've never been a fan of Frank's Red Hot except for something "Buffalo" flavored. It's way too salty for me, otherwise. Texas Pete, Cholula, Crystal, and a bunch of other widely available sauces have the same problem--way too salty. I don't mind them on a restaurant table, but I don't like keeping them around the house.

In fact, I often prefer Crystal over Tabasco, but Crystal has roughly five times the sodium. As much as I go through stuff like that around here, it catches up with me. I also like something that doesn't use gums for consistency.

In any event, there are many hot sauces that are not "major brand" that I greatly prefer over anything mentioned above.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Huy Fong Sambal Oeleck and
71hMYwwTOoL._SY679_.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
A bit mainstream maybe but I like Thai Flying Goose Sriracha, and Nandos Hot Peri Peri sauces. These days I find Tabasco has a far too strong taste of vinegar.
286099011_0_640x640.jpgsnapshotimagehandler_1154846850.jpeg

The nicest wings i ever had, btw, was a restaurant somewhere in the USA (Vega or LA, somewhere over that side) , where they did regular hot chilli sauce, but instead of blue cheese sauce they actually grated / crumbled Blue cheese over the wings.

So it melted into its own milky cheese sauce .... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Dont know if its a regular thing, but its the only time i saw it instead of blue cheese sauce on the side

In any event, there are many hot sauces that are not "major brand" that I greatly prefer over anything mentioned above.

C’mon, give us the list!

Quick web search, I just ordered the very attractively priced 24 count case of Bufalo Chipotle (they caved and dropped the first ‘L’) from wally world dot com. I don’t know if wally stocks it in their stores here.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
C’mon, give us the list!

I won't go into too much. Cajohn's does some excellent stuff. His Trinidad Scorpion sauce is one of my favorites, along with his Chile Lime, Garlic Cayenne, and Habanero.

There's also BJ's High Tech Pepper Sauce, but I think that's very local, and I don't see it as much as I used to.

We have a number of local companies in AZ that produce some nice hot sauces. My current favorite is Arizona Gunslinger.

I do not know if this counts ( but super easy to find in Asian grocery stores ) but this can turn any crappy takeout into really good slightly sichuanish spicy food. Ive gotten so addicted to this I buy 4 packs at a time now ... it’s less vinegary than typical Vietnamese or American/Latin American sauces so does not alter the flavor in the same way

Attachments

• 26094B89-1232-44B3-9CAC-7AE19A455606.jpeg
    26094B89-1232-44B3-9CAC-7AE19A455606.jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom