What's new

Easiest Fruit Cake

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Just going through some older issues of Grass Roots Magazine from here in Australia and came upon this simple recipe for a fruit cake. It is from issue No 233 Feb/March 2016. I did make this cake and it was edible but I was a little heavy handed with the flour.
Recipe;
1 kilogram of dried fruit.
600 ml of iced coffee. (I used iced coffee flavoured milk)
2 Cups of Self Raising flour.
Mix well and spread in a lined and well greased tin.
Cook for 1 hour at 170 C ( 340F)
Enjoy.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Just going through some older issues of Grass Roots Magazine from here in Australia and came upon this simple recipe for a fruit cake. It is from issue No 233 Feb/March 2016. I did make this cake and it was edible but I was a little heavy handed with the flour.
Recipe;
1 kilogram of dried fruit.
600 ml of iced coffee. (I used iced coffee flavoured milk)
2 Cups of Self Raising flour.
Mix well and spread in a lined and well greased tin.
Cook for 1 hour at 170 C ( 340F)
Enjoy.
As a kid we used fruit cake as a door stop. As an adult I think it is one of the best things since sliced bread.

As much as I adore fruit cake, even the grocery store stuff, I go insane for marzipan stollen.

I checked at my local Aldi today, but they didn't have any yet. I may try to make one at home this year.

The less expensive ones are heavy on oleo and corn syrup, candied fruit, white sugar. Better ingredients cost more, taste better. (IMO, of course.)

I like a good fruitcake. Claxton Fruitcake is pretty good. Have also had bad fruitcake, including one so dry it might have worked better as a cookie.

My mother made fruitcake exactly once. The idea was to give it as gifts. I do not recall the recipe, but I recall the saga. We did the deed on a Thanksgiving, and each of us had a job. I chopped the dates, except they didn't really chop easily. Incredibly sticky things, dates. Maybe they were candied. Anyway, it took an incredible amount of effort, and when all was done at the end of the day, my mother vowed to never do that again.

Age 24 spent a few days in Northern Wisconsin woods in January. Snowshoes, skis, tents. I can say this, no mosquito problem. We lived on jerky and fruitcake.

If offered the opportunity to winter camp, my advice is to just say no. But if you do go, take a good fruit cake.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
That's what I grew up with. It was a strange Christmas season, after my Grandmother passed away, and no box from Collin Street Bakery showed up.
Breaks my heart. I grew up with it as well. My Granfather did the same thing for us. Collin Street is awesome. My wife buys the fruitcake for me now. I'm gonna alcohol one sometime. I've never tried it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

There used to be an Italian baker with his shop around the corner from us that had terrific dense, flavourful fruitcake at Christmas, sold random pieces by weight. After he retired it was a long dry spell lasting years until we found a worthy substitute.

Two years ago someone here put up a link to Alton Brown's Free Range Fruitcake recipe so i figured why not, have had no success shopping in the commercial world, i'll try this, results were excellent, anything but cheap to put together. Start well before Christmas if that's your target date.

Free Range Fruitcake
dave

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
anything but cheap to put together.

That's what kept me from making that recipe after watching that episode. It sounded absolutely wonderful, and I got all psyched up about it. Then, I started pricing the ingredients. It got very pricey very quickly, and I just don't like any fruitcake enough for that price.

I ended up buying a roast, instead and came way out ahead. :001_cool:

Top Bottom