What's new

Easier & delicious instant mashed potatoes

So I like the idea of instant mashed potatoes but I had 2 issues:

They didn't taste great

and

The directions on the box involved too many odd quantities (with too many measuring cups/spoons)

So here's my new take on the inflation-friendly side dish:
(BTW the addition of the oatmeal makes the texture closer to real mashed potatoes IMO)

Hovar's Instant Mashed Potatoes

1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp butter
2 cups water
1 cup instant mashed potato flakes
1 Tbsp uncooked instant oatmeal
milk (optional)

In your smallest pan/saucepan add the garlic to about a Tbsp of butter on low heat

In a medium saucepan, set 2 cups of water to boil.

When the water boils, turn off the heat and whisk in the mashed potato flakes

Stir in the butter/garlic mixture

Stir in the oatmeal until just blended

If the potatoes are too stiff/dry, SLOWLY add some milk to reach the right consistency.

I will be trying this. Love to have instant mashed on occasion, especially with meat loaf. Reminds me of Mom teaching me a few things to cook for me and little brother when they were starting to leave us home alone as kids.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I will be trying this. Love to have instant mashed on occasion, especially with meat loaf. Reminds me of Mom teaching me a few things to cook for me and little brother when they were starting to leave us home alone as kids.
Sounds like you were blessed with a great Mom my friend!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I had top notch parents. Kind and loving but also allowed us to learn from our mistakes. Warned us but then stood back and waited to pick us up and dust us off.

They've been married 51 years this year.
This news made my morning my friend. This is what my wife taught me about parenting, and my only begotten is a joy to many.

I disregard the directions. Put flakes in bowl, I don't measure, just guess.

Add garlic powder, salt, and a dash or three of pepper, sometimes parsley too.

Add a bunch of butter pats.

Add a little half and half, again I don't measure but would guess maybe 1/3 cup.

Add boiling water stir and repeat until the desired consistency is achieved. More for creamy mashed potatoes, less if there is gravy to top them off.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I actually like the Idahoan Buttery Homestyle as they come, stirred in a pint of hot water. Plop a little Plugra on top and serve with peas and meat loaf or a grilled chicken sausage. Save a little for the next morning's breakfast taco. It may well be a different experience than real potatoes, riced and loaded with crema and butter, possibly augmented with horseradish, but different does not necessarily mean inferior, especially taking into account the fact that now and then I just want a night off from serious cooking.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I think you mean "Instant Lefse Mix." :)

Good for camping; right up there with freeze-dried lutefisk.

O.H.

Top Bottom