What's new

Early vs late Gillette New Improved

I've seen a lot of pictures of both the 2 and 3 piece versions of the New Improved and I've notice that the it comes with (at least) two different top caps and the base plates. Is there any noticeable difference in terms of performance between the different top cap and base plate combos that is worth chasing?

Here you can see the big gap between the two versions. Mine looks like the one on with the silver/chrome plating on the left.

hfghfghgf.jpg
Screenshot 2022-07-24 at 00-37-30 gillette new improved tuckaway – Google Търсене.png

R

romsitsa

Caps are the same except for the shape of the pins. The later, narrow shoulder version is perfectly identical in geometry to the New deluxe/Ne lc.

Caps are the same except for the shape of the pins. The later, narrow shoulder version is perfectly identical in geometry to the New deluxe/Ne lc.

Interesting, are they very different in terms of shaving performance, or the difference is barely noticeable? I'm curious, since I've recently got my hands on the Tuckaway version, which I've previously thought that it was made in 1922, but now I think that it's 1927 instead. I misread the first digit as 3, but after a close inspection, it turned out to be 8. What a shame, I was so happy that the razor is exactly 100 years old, but it seems that I have to wait 5 more years.

dsadasdas.jpg

Top Bottom