What's new

Early Gillette Tech top cap differences

Hello all,

I have a fat handle prewar Tech that I absolutely adore. I know it’s a prewar because of the triangle slots. However, I had a question about the top cap and if it’s accurate for its timeline. I’ve noticed early Techs having either a full bar that connects to the center post or 2 bars that don’t connect. My Tech has a full bar that connects to the center post. Most prewar Techs I’ve seen scouring on the bay have 2 bars that don’t connect. Occasionally I’ll see some that have the full bar. Most postwar Techs I’ve seen have the full bar.

I was just wondering if they had both variants of the top cap throughout the life of the Tech or if they were time period specific, I.e. 2 bars for early or prewar Techs and full bar for post war.

Thanks!

lasta

Blade Biter
Yes, it's a mixed bag. Two bars one continuous, most have a triangular cross section, but some prewar two bar versions are round (prewar us tech, RFB etc).

Most are interchangeable

I took a look at my pre- and post-war Techs to try to figure out what came when. Of the three pre-wars I have, two have two short bars and one has a single long bar. I do suspect the one with the single long bar is a FrankenTech, though. (For $4, why not?) Prior to cleaning it up it was missing a lot of the plating and the plating is gone off of the top cap. I suspect some of the parts had gold and some had nickel plating. Looking at my post-war Techs, they all have a single long bar.

I looked at the Mr. Razor website to see if there's any clear cut answer; looks like there isn't. mr-razor Tech razors - https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/Tech.htm

I took a look at my pre- and post-war Techs to try to figure out what came when. Of the three pre-wars I have, two have two short bars and one has a single long bar. I do suspect the one with the single long bar is a FrankenTech, though. (For $4, why not?) Prior to cleaning it up it was missing a lot of the plating and the plating is gone off of the top cap. I suspect some of the parts had gold and some had nickel plating. Looking at my post-war Techs, they all have a single long bar.

I looked at the Mr. Razor website to see if there's any clear cut answer; looks like there isn't. mr-razor Tech razors - https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/Tech.htm
Yeah I noticed that as well. Looks like one of the early US made kits had the continuous and the later kits had the two bars. Looks like it was just a mixed bag!

Noticed this description in listing on bay, “Super Speed Non Notched”.

What does this mean❓
Prior to 1948 Super Speed centre bars were un notched like on this 1947
proxy.php

In 1948 the first Super Speeds came out with notched centre bars, which allowed for easier loading of the blade using the Speed Pak blade holder. This meant faster hands free blade loading. Like this
proxy.php

I hope that explained it for you.

Last edited:
Sometime ago, I checked the listing for pre-war and post-war techs on eBay for long and short bars. After looking at quite a lot them, it would appear that the short bar is more prevalent on the pre-war and the long bar on post-war.

Top Bottom