What's new

Early German Rapide Blade Compatibility

The original Rapide was manufactured by Earnst Scharff starting in 1891. Some have the 1891 German patent #64902 on the side of the handle. There was also an 1892 American patent.

The early models featured setscrew adjustments on the side guides to position the wedge type blade and adjust for the blade narrowing after repeated honing. This has an added benefit of in effect making the razor adjustable.

Later models had spring-loaded side guides and blade stops to position the blade. Coincidentally this also allows for the use of modern spined Gem style SE blades, although as Feather-man noted above a Gem blade can be made to work in the early models with a little creativity.

In 1911 the Scharff patent expired and several manufacturers introduced models based on the design. I believe that Henckels may have had a licensing agreement with Scharff, as some of the Henckels Rapides seem to date to earlier than 1911.

There were numerous variations on the design, even including a Henckels Rapide with a roller comb similar to a Wilkinson.

Details about these razors are scarce. I have pieced together the above history from Waits and other sources, and by no means should it be considered the last word.

proxy.php

The two types of blade holders can be clearly seen above.

proxy.php

The Rapides are excellent shavers and very collectable.

While an excellent shave may be had with a modern blade, a properly honed and stropped wedge blade will allow one to fully appreciate these fascinating razors.

--Bob
Mine has the pat no 64903 - so when was that made....???

Top Bottom