What's new

Earl Grey Rye Old Fashioned

My daughter and Son-in-law gifted me Earl Grey infused Rye for my birthday along an old fashioned like recipe suggestion. Not my usual, as I gravitate away from sweet drinks, but this is quite wonderful and sublime!

20B111DE-7491-480A-A7FC-994A2D6ECD46.jpeg

I researched this online and it appears very simple to do. So i filled a pint size mason jar with bourbon and added a single bag of earl gray. In two or three days time it should be complete. And now we wait.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Well, I am mighty intrigued, and I happen to have an abundance of rye whiskey and Earl Grey tea around.

I infused Hickory Hill Kentucky straight bourbon with a single bag of Stash double bergamot earl grey for three days. $25 for a fifth. I could not bring myself to experiment with anything high end. I am more of a scotch aficionado but I do appreciate other whiskey. I tasted the unadulterated and the infused side by side neat. The infused wins hands down. The tannins impart a slight bitterness, I like bitter and I am a sucker for bergamot. For a cocktail I opted for a boulevardier. The campari and the orange peel cancel out any hint of the earl grey. Still a great cocktail. It has been a long night and day and tomorrow I will try something with less flavors to interfere with the earl grey.

I infused Hickory Hill Kentucky straight bourbon with a single bag of Stash double bergamot earl grey for three days. $25 for a fifth. I could not bring myself to experiment with anything high end. I am more of a scotch aficionado but I do appreciate other whiskey. I tasted the unadulterated and the infused side by side neat. The infused wins hands down. The tannins impart a slight bitterness, I like bitter and I am a sucker for bergamot. For a cocktail I opted for a boulevardier. The campari and the orange peel cancel out any hint of the earl grey. Still a great cocktail. It has been a long night and day and tomorrow I will try something with less flavors to interfere with the earl grey.

Nice! I'm not a huge fan of any type of sweet drink and thus generally stay away from Old Fashioned's, but found the earl grey infusion somehow tames that sweetness to my liking. Looking forward to your next experiment.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Dadgummit. I keep forgetting to give this a try.

I bet it also makes one whopper of a Manhattan.

Top Bottom