What's new

Earcutter’s Journal

Just finished shaving with Barrister & Mann’s Cologne Russe.

Cologne Russe Shaving Soap

It’s the third B&M I’ve sampled so far. This is another one of their more “complex” scents from their classic collection. It’s not bad, and the wife loves it, but it’s just too busy for me. A winter scent for sure. The soap itself took a little work to lather thickly. It was very slick, but had little cushion.

The aftershave splash though, aside from the massive scent burst, the skin food is insane. Between the soap and the splash, the face feels fan-tast-ic! Just fantastic. It drys like a champ.

I don’t think i’ll be buying this as good as my face feels. The soap just bores me a little too much in both scent and efficiency.

I’d read so many enticing reviews on The Noble Otter’s The Noir et Vanille, that I was almost bought an entire tub sight unseen. Alas, I got a sample in and thank goodness I did. Yes the scent is lovely, a vanilla tea scent, but it’s subtle. Too subtle. And a little too sweet for me. The lather wasn’t all that impressive either.

I’m really not lucking out with soaps lately. That or I’ve got so many great ones now, I’m able to be super picky.

Keeping the lid off the jar...

I prefer to lather off the puck. I’ll thicken in a bowl, but I really don’t find taking chunks of soap and lining a bowl effective. I never get all the soap lathered, arg. The problem with that though is that it really wets the soap. Especially if you bloom the soap before lathering.

This has left my soap kind of goopy. I never let the soap dry fearing that I’d lose scent - and I love scent. Turns out that letting the soap dry allows for more scent and allows the soap to re-harden. Goopy sucks and can lead to mold.

I now let my soaps dry for at min 12 hours if I puck lather.

Top Bottom