What's new

Ear hair & straight razors?

Yes sir, it happens to the best of us at some time in our life. The hair on our heads decides to migrate to some other region of our bodies. It’s been on the head long enough, and it’s time to move on out of the crowd. Grown tired of being in the thick of things. Some of it will totally jump ship. While others will take a long journey, but stay on board somewhere. Then a few not so adventurous souls, who don't want to stray too far from home, will give it a try out there on the ears. Where it’s not so crowded, it's a little more airy, it's new place to call home, and it comes with a nice view.... For everyone to see.

Anyway, enough of the trial, and tribulations of maturing.

Anyone here whipping those ear hairs off with a straight, and the bravado of Zorro, and I’m just being a sissy?

For some inexplicable reason, I can’t seem to find the courage to do it. Well, that’s not entirely true, I’ve gone after a few, but chicken out pretty quick. It just seems like a bloodletting waiting to happen.

So let’s hear it. How are the rest of you brave straight razor shaving gentlemen handling those pesky little deserters?

Lol! Sadly I'm in the same ship. I found that a very sharp edge makes it very easy. At first it was nerve wracking but as I figured it out, it became easier and easier. I do prefer a round point but have used most others and as long as it is very sharp it is not that bad.

I've seen videos of barbers in (to me) far off, exotic lands that trim ear fur with a straight. (Only the hair along the outer rim of the ear and lobe, not the canal.) My reaction is always, "No. Just no."

Tweezers or an electric trimmer, my friend. We don't need to members named @Earcutter.

This job has been relegated to my wife.
Once in a while she'll say don't move, you have a long hair coming out of your ear.
Tweezing it fells like its rooted at the base of the neck. Would never think to use a straight on it.
Nose, ears and eyebrows need to be kept in check at this point.
Things hurt that never used to and if the hair doesn't jump off the head it goes grey as well as Chernobyl type growth of accent hair.
Welcome to the later years.:)

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I never should have teased my father about his ear hair, fate has stepped in to even the score. I’m trying to keep up, but the little suckers are just coming back in numbers. Never remotely considered using a SR for ear hair, Dremel....perhaps.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My barber does it with a Dutch point. I find I am best doing it with a good sharp Spanish point.
IMG_20200421_191321.jpg
Works well for me.

I tried once with a Feather AC blade pinched between two fingers. The blade is narrow and long, so I thought it might be ideal. But in practice it was very difficult to see and reach near the base of stray hairs to cut them. So I gave up on the idea.

i've tried it on the outside of my ear, not much hair there, but i was curious. i pushed the back of the ear forward with pointer finger of other hand not holding the blade and it was pretty smooth cutting.

The ear hair drives me batty, but I have never once considered using my SR to trim any. Tweezers work just fine thanks! :)

While it's doable, it's not efficient.

Instead of shaving those few nasty hairs off of your ears, pull them out. It will take MUCH longer for the hair to grow back.

About a year ago on a golf trip to Turkey one of the guys went for the full treatment to a barber. He came back muttering "never again, never again, never again". Though he was worried about a sharp blade being dragged over his face by a burly Turk. When questioned after a few drinks, he told us all went well with the shave, but then the barber inserted wax plugs into his ears and nostrils and ripped everything out.

Ouchy!

About a year ago on a golf trip to Turkey one of the guys went for the full treatment to a barber. He came back muttering "never again, never again, never again". Though he was worried about a sharp blade being dragged over his face by a burly Turk. When questioned after a few drinks, he told us all went well with the shave, but then the barber inserted wax plugs into his ears and nostrils and ripped everything out.

Ouchy!
There is also the Turkish barber technique of singeing the hair off with a flaming cotton ball...

Top Bottom