What's new

Eagle in Black Walnut tree

Probably would be a taller E3 or even non-existent E4 with 24mm knot and dimensions. Some texturing on the bottom I am having a hard time photographing due to reflection off CA finish that filled it all like epoxy. For some reason the CA must have reacted with the glue line and unfortunately accentuated it. Not sure why - anyone know! Glue was TBIII. This walnut has been cut and sitting for more than 60 years now. Lots left :)

1E237EED-4694-44FB-829A-2841661DFCB6.jpeg

355AAEF8-8A57-4816-A9CA-B0E5E4577A55.jpeg 3A2941B3-5E3A-4288-87DD-FFE28BA49F71.jpeg 02B12477-20BF-48D6-BF50-06EEBA0F1BE6.jpeg

Probably would be a taller E3 or even non-existent E4 with 24mm knot and dimensions. Some texturing on the bottom I am having a hard time photographing due to reflection off CA finish that filled it all like epoxy. For some reason the CA must have reacted with the glue line and unfortunately accentuated it. Not sure why - anyone know! Glue was TBIII. This walnut has been cut and sitting for more than 60 years now. Lots left :)

View attachment 1213956
View attachment 1213955 View attachment 1213953 View attachment 1213954

How big was the billet that was glued up?
Looks like just a gappy joint on the butt end.
TB111 has pretty good gap filling qualities so maybe just not clamped tight enough?
Nice looking handle though!

Reactions: LJS
How big was the billet that was glued up?
Looks like just a gappy joint on the butt end.
TB111 has pretty good gap filling qualities so maybe just not clamped tight enough?
Nice looking handle though!

It was about 8” I think. I glue pretty heavy and use about one clamp per inch :p No kidding about as many clamps as I can use and I have many many. Before I did the texturing on the bottom I sand up to 1500 and start with dead smooth. Wet to raise the grain and 1500 again before I use the texture tool which is likely overkill. No gap obvious then. Strangely (a) the glue line didn’t show up until about 5 coats of CA, (b) the glue line then sunk in slightly as the CA fully cured, © the CA completely filled all the deep texturing at the same time. Left me a bit puzzled. TBIII is some tough stuff. My only thoughts were to get serious on the planer before glue up, but not used to seeing this and feels like overkill. At the same time I am new to CA so it seemed my only culprit. Anyway, appreciate the feedback because it sure puzzled me.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Very nice looking handle! Yes, the Walnut is beautiful, knot looks like a 3 band badger?

Very nice looking handle! Yes, the Walnut is beautiful, knot looks like a 3 band badger?

Thank you. Knot was sold as SHD Finest 3-band. Names and provenance of most knots are questionable of course, but yes, you are correct :)

Top Bottom