What's new

E. jagger razors vs. merkur

I've seen the newest batch of EJ razors and they look fantastic. But upon closer inspection, the head looks VERY similar to the Merkurs. This is a problem for me because I HATE the razor head of the HD and had a terrible time shaving with it.

Is this truly a different design than those on the Merkurs?

Legion

Staff member
Yes.

The EJ is noticeably milder than the HD. More like a tech. It really depends on what type of razor you prefer. I can get a closer shave off the HD but only because it is more aggressive. The EJ's fit and finish is better than the Merkur's.

Here is some more info on the EJ head from BGT:

"All Edwin Jagger Double Edge Safety Razors have a completely new 2 part head fixture that took Neil Jagger over six months to design before allowing the Edwin Jagger name to be stamped into the metal collar just below the blade fittings. The head fixtures on these double edge razors are not the same as the Merkur heads found on most all of the other quality double edge razors. They've proven to be very smooth shavers.

These Edwin Jagger Safety Razors are handcrafted and go through a special hard chrome process that is a beautiful and distinct "blue chrome" used by Rolls Royce. The chrome is truly distinctive when compared to the normal chrome we're all used to seeing. All Edwin Jagger razors and shaving brushes have superior fit, finish and quality not found in other brands."

I find that the EJ is a fantastic razor and the finish quality is top notch.

I am not sure where you saw the newest batch of EJ heads but check out http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/ they do have the newest as I have recently purchased from them. the newest is extremely similar to a Muhle head and noticeably different then any Merkur head of which I have several Merkur razors.

FYI a while back and I can only guestimate here at least a year maybe two or more EJ razors used to have a Merkur head that EJ refinished to there spec's, I know as I have an older EJ with a Merkur style head and although it is identical looking to several Merkur razors I have it's fit, finish and shaving are way better, (doesn't hurt that it's gold plated either) but at least a year ago again maybe 2 years or more EJ got fed up with the Merkur's lack of quality and went with the New Muhle style head.

So it is possible some vendors may have old stock, on site above all are identified as which head they have.

Also if you take a look on the shaving shack website, they have recently done a "bluebeards revenge" razor, which is an EJ89L with the skull and crossbones logo on the razor head... looks pretty good, think I may have some RAD coming on... and getting some bluebeards revenge cream, and some bluebeards revenge after shave balm too, HELP! lol:tongue_sm

"All Edwin Jagger Double Edge Safety Razors have a completely new 2 part head fixture that took Neil Jagger over six months to design before allowing the Edwin Jagger name to be stamped into the metal collar just below the blade fittings. The head fixtures on these double edge razors are not the same as the Merkur heads found on most all of the other quality double edge razors. They've proven to be very smooth shavers.

Despite what this says

if it walks like a duck
if it quacks like a duck

it is most likely a duck .........

they look the same and have the same angles and gaps.

I am not sure where you saw the newest batch of EJ heads but check out http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/ they do have the newest as I have recently purchased from them. the newest is extremely similar to a Muhle head and noticeably different then any Merkur head of which I have several Merkur razors.

The Edwin Jagger doesn't just look like a Muhle head, it is a Muhle head. Muhle makes the heads for Edwin Jagger. :tongue_sm

Despite what this says

if it walks like a duck
if it quacks like a duck

it is most likely a duck .........

they look the same and have the same angles and gaps.

They may look similar from afar, but they are clearly different heads, cast from a different mold. Merkur, and Edwin Jagger/ Muhle are not the same head.

What you are basically saying, is that all cars must drive the same since they all look similar (they have four wheels, doors, a steering wheel, and seats), and many models look pretty close to identical. :lol::lol:

Last edited:
These Edwin Jagger Safety Razors are handcrafted and go through a special hard chrome process that is a beautiful and distinct "blue chrome" used by Rolls Royce. The chrome is truly distinctive when compared to the normal chrome we're all used to seeing.

Now that's interesting as the chrome plating work for Rolls Royce is done at a friend's company near me in Cheltenham. They do all the Flying Ladies and Bentley Bs. Their main product is plastic security mirrors!

I shall have to ask her if they've started doing razors.

Gareth

The Edwin Jagger doesn't just look like a Muhle head, it is a Muhle head. Muhle makes the heads for Edwin Jagger. :tongue_sm

They may look similar from afar, but they are clearly different heads, cast from a different mold. Merkur, and Edwin Jagger/ Muhle are not the same head.

What you are basically saying, is that all cars must drive the same since they all look similar (they have four wheels, doors, a steering wheel, and seats), and many models look pretty close to identical. :lol::lol:

Yes, and I can tell from personal experience the Merkur and EJ drive very differently indeed. My Merkur is like a Honda...its a well made car, has some basic comfort and features, and will get me from point A to B safely without any fuss. The EJ 89 on the other hand is like driving a Cadillac...also a well made car, is noticeably more comfortable and refined, gets me from point A to B in one of the smoothest rides of my life, and I arrive in style!

Top Bottom