What's new

E-Bikes

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have noticed that a few on B&B have or are considering E-Bikes.

I built one about 18 months ago here in Cebu, Philippines from parts I imported from China.
IMG20181109155907.jpg
I bought everything new:

26" allow frame mountain bike
1000W x 48V brushless DC rear wheel motor
48V 36A control box
48v x 16.5Ahr SLA batteries
All accessories

All up, it was a little over USD 500.

SLA batteries, although heavy and bulky, where chosen due to availability and cost. Once they die, I will get similar in lithium type batteries.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After successfully building my e-bike, I did similar for a friend of mine with his trisikad. After 18 months of daily use and charging, it is still going strong.
IMG_20190325_083247.jpg
IMG_20190325_083348.jpg
Again, 1000W motor, 48V 16.5Ahr SLA batteries, etc.. That is a 20" rear wheel.

That's interesting. I didn't realize that those parts were available separately for converting your own bike. I have a nice mountain bike that I would like to convert. I wonder if adding that motorized rear wheel has any effect on the current pedalling effort. In other words, is it harder to pedal with a motor in the wheel hub?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
That's interesting. I didn't realize that those parts were available separately for converting your own bike. I have a nice mountain bike that I would like to convert. I wonder if adding that motorized rear wheel has any effect on the current pedalling effort. In other words, is it harder to pedal with a motor in the wheel hub?
With everything fitted and without using the electric motor, yes it is noticably a little harder to pedal. This is mainly due to the added mass to the bicycle. (Just have a shave before riding so you weigh less 😁.)

Some jurisdictions limit the power of the electric motor that can be fitted to a bicycle (not the Philippines). With my 1,000W brushless DC motor and 16.5Ahr x 48V battery pack, I get a top speed of a bit over 40kph with a range of about 60km. This of course is dependent on your riding style, terrain and the over all mass of the bicycle.

I weight about 100kg and Mactan Island is not overly hilly. Must of my riding is done at about 25kph to 30kph. The speed limit in the Philippines in built-up areas in only 40kph. Mactan Island is only about 12km x 6km in size.

You will now find plenty of ebike conversion kits available on AliExpress. Basically the motor power x voltage will determine the speed/acceleration and the Ahr the range.

Last edited:
Top Bottom