What's new

E.A. Carey pipes?

Did a search and found very little here. A seller on Etsy has an E.A. Carey "Magic Inch" pipe, a nice-looking walnut-colored billiard from the 2000s, and I see that the paper moisture-absorbing sleeves (and their modern pipes, for that matter) are still available on Carey's website. I love the way this one looks, and the price, even with shipping from France, is good.

Someone here said he's smoked nothing else but Careys since 1963, which sounds like a great testimonial. How are these pipes? Can they be smoked without the paper sleeve, if you run out?

They can not be smoked without the paper sleeve. The sleeve adds the resistance needed to create the draw. Without it you are just drawing in outside air. The magic inch pipes are interesting. You get a mix of cool outside air with warm smoke to cool it. It really does work but can also alter or weaken the intensity of flavors.

The whole magic inch system is in the stem. So it is possible to convert them to a regular pipe by fitting a normal stem.

The little filters are still available and pretty easy to find. Can get multiple smokes from them too of I remember correctly. Its been a little while since I've smoked mine haha.

Here are my two Magic inch pipes...

20180203_223437.jpg

20180305_174008.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Years ago someone allowed me a 'courtesy smoke' on one of theirs. I didn't care for it. Probably for the same reason I wouldn't care for a carb pipe. Like drinking instant coffee. If you just want a dry, filtered smoke, there are better ways, IMO.

My opinion is just that, and not intending to disparage others who may like the Careys. Some pipers do like them very much, and they've maintained a following for quite a few decades. Perhaps for a stronger high-powered blend they work better.

The only way you'll know if you like it is to try one.

I will say that Carey's rubber pipe bites are outstanding, however, and all I now use.

Last edited:
Years ago someone allowed me a 'courtesy smoke' on one of theirs. I didn't care for it. Probably for the same reason I wouldn't care for a carb pipe. Like drinking instant coffee. If you just want a dry, filtered smoke, there are better ways, IMO.

My opinion is just that, and not intending to disparage others who may like the Careys. Some pipers do like them very much, and they've maintained a following for quite a few decades. Perhaps for a stronger high-powered blend they work better.

The only way you'll know if you like it is to try one.

I will say that Carey's rubber pipe bites are outstanding, however, and all I now use.
The one I'm looking at is inexpensive, as I said, even taking into account shipping from France, and very good looking. I may decide to go for it.

Top Bottom